Geno Show | The Boneyard

Geno Show

Reaction Score
I was wondering when the last one was going to happen. Thought we were just going to get one less episode this season. Hopefully this one is new and not just the last one repeated. There is also the NCAA preview show next Wednesday at 6:30 PM followed by a Geno Show (new or repeat who knows?).

Reaction Score
The Geno show was spectacular as usual.

Now clearly better than the walking dead.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I notice that there is a Geno Auriemma show listed on SNY's programming list for Friday evening (3/11). I would assume it is a rebroadcast of the one shown yesterday. So that is an opportunity to catch if (like me) you missed it last night. As I recall, it is at 9:30 PM this evening.

Reaction Score
Kind of surprised to hear him say that TLaw may be too quiet to be a coach. Never thought of her as quiet!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Saw Tina Charles at one of the practices. In the post with Lou :)

Reaction Score
Just saw on Facebook that there is a new Geno Show tonight (Thursday) at 9 pm on SNY.
Went on SNY (DirecTV #639) Thursday @ 9PM, saw NO GENO SHOW ?????

Reaction Score
Seems from the snippets that I see on Geno in practice and in the huddle, as well as his comments on the players, that there really is a fine line between being a great coach and being a dick. Glad Geno is a great coach.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Seems from the snippets that I see on Geno in practice and in the huddle, as well as his comments on the players, that there really is a fine line between being a great coach and being a dick. Glad Geno is a great coach.
Some former people and former players would say adamantly that he is and will always be the latter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some former people and former players would say adamantly that he is and will always be the latter.
'Former people'? What happened, he had them disappeared? :eek::)
Very few of his former players feel that way.
Yeah, I think that is a truism. Like any 'tough' boss or leader, the line can be razor thin, and there are probably a few moments when that line gets crossed, and it is in those moments where you need a really good and empowered staff to bring it all back in line.

But there is also something to be realized here - most of these players are 'outliers' - they, like all elite athletes, elite musicians, artists, scientists, etc. live in that rarified air of the point zero, zero, zero ... 1% of humanity above the rest of us in their chosen fields, and if they want to continue improving beyond what even they believe possible, they need to be challenged and encouraged and pushed. What for the rest of us would seem completely unreasonable, is for them something that they specifically seek out - they may hate it in the moment, or dread it, but they also thrive on it and appreciate it in retrospect.

CD talked about a post practice meeting she had with Tina her sophomore or junior year, it had been a brutal practice for her and she was seeking comfort and answers for why Geno was being so hard on her. CD's response 'When you first came to UConn you said you wanted to be the best center in the country and the best player you could be and that you wanted to be an AA. If your goals have changed, all you have to do is tell me that you no longer want those things, and Geno will back off from pushing you toward those goals. But if you still want those things, then he will continue to push you until you reach them.' That pretty well sums it up. And players speak about never wanting to experience the silence - the moment when Geno seems to lose interest in what they are doing in practice - the moment when they fear he has given up on them and sees no way to improve their individual game beyond the plateau they have reached.

And it isn't a one size fits all - he has had those 'precious' players who didn't need the pushing, and he has had plenty of players who had less lofty goals or ceilings - they are still pushed to the limits of their skill and talent, but the expectation of what they can accomplish is realistic. TLaw is expected to give the same effort and concentration, but not produce the same results.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Yeah, I think that is a truism. Like any 'tough' boss or leader, the line can be razor thin, and there are probably a few moments when that line gets crossed, and it is in those moments where you need a really good and empowered staff to bring it all back in line.

But there is also something to be realized here - most of these players are 'outliers' - they, like all elite athletes, elite musicians, artists, scientists, etc. live in that rarified air of the point zero, zero, zero ... 1% of humanity above the rest of us in their chosen fields, and if they want to continue improving beyond what even they believe possible, they need to be challenged and encouraged and pushed. What for the rest of us would seem completely unreasonable, is for them something that they specifically seek out - they may hate it in the moment, or dread it, but they also thrive on it and appreciate it in retrospect.

CD talked about a post practice meeting she had with Tina her sophomore or junior year, it had been a brutal practice for her and she was seeking comfort and answers for why Geno was being so hard on her. CD's response 'When you first came to UConn you said you wanted to be the best center in the country and the best player you could be and that you wanted to be an AA. If your goals have changed, all you have to do is tell me that you no longer want those things, and Geno will back off from pushing you toward those goals. But if you still want those things, then he will continue to push you until you reach them.' That pretty well sums it up. And players speak about never wanting to experience the silence - the moment when Geno seems to lose interest in what they are doing in practice - the moment when they fear he has given up on them and sees no way to improve their individual game beyond the plateau they have reached.

And it isn't a one size fits all - he has had those 'precious' players who didn't need the pushing, and he has had plenty of players who had less lofty goals or ceilings - they are still pushed to the limits of their skill and talent, but the expectation of what they can accomplish is realistic. TLaw is expected to give the same effort and concentration, but not produce the same results.
You're right. Not some former players, very few. Wait. I think very few means some. I mean, if there's 2 there's some.

JordyG

Reaction Score

You're right. Not some former players, very few. Wait. I think very few means some. I mean, if there's 2 there's some. It is entirely reasonable that quite a few more than 2 former players, transfers and recruits who chose otherwise saw and still see Geno as an arrogant jerk.

The reality is "outliers" or not, no one can please everyone all the time, no matter how gently, correctly or harshly they're treated. Geno's personality certain can be seen as abrasive. Let's revisit what I said. I didn't mean former people, that was clearly a typo. I meant people, and that is clearly the case in the media and throughout WCBB. Not everyone sees Geno as the lovable, pithy, cantankerous perfectionist as we here on the BY. Now yeah, players at any level of any sport need to be pushed. But the entire conceit of your three paragraphs though credible is irrelevant to the perception, which is the reality for much of America, that Geno is an arrogant jerk.

I remember last year before the NCAA's a few of the commentators on ESPN were talking about Geno and one of them mentioned his "confidence" in a sly manner. Seth Greenberg, and I paraphrase, said that Geno was one "confident son of a gun" even in the early days. Seth remembered a few of the poker games he, Geno and others would participate in at the time and that Geno was "Extremely confident even then during those games". I thought it an interesting statement not for what was said, but what was implied.

One thing that's been a big plus for Geno is the HBO special which has done a fine job of humanizing Geno and making him, CD and the rest accessible. Another thing I've seen which has modified some people's perception. Because this team entered the season with few McDonald AA's and no preseason AA's, it gave the country feeling that this team, that Geno was finally beatable. Now because of this team's performance, people from many quarters have given him grudging admiration with some saying that perhaps this is the best coaching job of his career. Also over the years coaching the Olympic team players humanized and dispelled that opinion among those who had never played for him. Nevertheless, don't believe for one minute that the great majority of BB fans around this country suddenly see Geno as morphing into some soft, fuzzy and folksy Andy Landers disciple.

Reaction Score
Gotta confess that this particular version of the show was, on the whole, somewhat boring to me. That's because I sensed that Geno was actually bored. Maybe he was tired. Maybe he's answered all these questions so many times before. Maybe, with the Olympics last summer, he hasn't really had an extended break from basketball for nearly 2 years. Maybe he's overly stressed from this overperforming year. But he's an excellent actor and so shines for the camera. I just thought he was wearing a mask. I also don't think he likes this "talking head" (who doesn't seem to ask questions beyond what her producer has fed her) nearly as much as he liked the last one (who I thought was not only really charming but also intelligent and understands WCBB).

Reaction Score
.............. I also don't think he likes this "talking head" (who doesn't seem to ask questions beyond what her producer has fed her) nearly as much as he liked the last one (who I thought was not only really charming but also intelligent and understands WCBB).

He might not like her, but for the viewer she is very easy on the eyes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom