Geno Rounding Into Tournament Shape Himself | The Boneyard

Geno Rounding Into Tournament Shape Himself

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno is being quoted about size and problems with size. He's working on about 4 teams, including the Huskies, when he says these things:

"This season, like most others during Auriemma’s 34-year tenure, will be defined by what happens in the NCAA tournament. A stretch of four, five or maybe six games will be the difference between euphoria and dejection.

“There’s some teams we’re going to play that if they’re on their A-game, we couldn’t beat them in a million years,” Auriemma said Tuesday. “We know that. I know that. But, we could get lucky.”

This particular version is from the Register, but it's moving around fast: UConn women ready for ‘business trip’ in Oklahoma

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Geno is being quoted about size and problems with size. He's working on about 4 teams, including the Huskies, when he says these things:

"This season, like most others during Auriemma’s 34-year tenure, will be defined by what happens in the NCAA tournament. A stretch of four, five or maybe six games will be the difference between euphoria and dejection.

“There’s some teams we’re going to play that if they’re on their A-game, we couldn’t beat them in a million years,” Auriemma said Tuesday. “We know that. I know that. But, we could get lucky.”

This particular version is from the Register, but it's moving around fast: UConn women ready for ‘business trip’ in Oklahoma
Is this the same link that is posted in the Ready For Business In Flight To Memphis thread?

Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is.
I've said on another thread that Geno is a master psychologist and IMO he is trying to position UConn as something of an underdog because of some inconsistent stretches this season and their lack of size in the post. (note: UConn is really only small at the center position. They are actually long in a lot of spots.) This year is not a case of David and Goliath but 5-6 teams looking for a good draw, winning 6 games, and taking home the trophy.
It is such a game of inches at that level, that any edge he can get could mean a victory. A team goes in oh-so-slightly over-confident against UConn and UConn jumps on top of them from the opening tip. Instead of a Baylor game of half court offense, running down the clock, finding the post at the block, the game becomes 94 feet and suddenly, "what size advantage".

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
a bit outside the thread theme but a quote from the article I liked is

“We like to focus on the bigger picture and stuff, but these little accolades is what helps us get to the tournament and stuff,” sophomore guard Mikayla Coombs said. “CD likes to tell us not to take everything with a grain of salt."

Mainly, its more evidence that Mikayla feels more like a contributor to the team and the team is giving her more responsibility. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is.

Well, if I have somehow offended you I'm sorry. You might look at it as confirmation of your brilliant analysis? I do not read every thread, but had I I would have still put this out there. I said in about 4 threads that UConn would run the Ducks to death and Oregon folks got a little silly. Then along come to athletic , fast teams and the Ducks suddenly looked like a Goose.

Looking for a fight, don't look for it from me unless you are close to a transfusion center. I come here for R & R, not pugilism. I spent 30 years being paid very handsomely to cut people to ribbons with words and I'm still good at it, but I cannot be baited into a fight with sorry efforts like yours or even very good efforts.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought this would be about Coach Geno's working on his waist size. He's put on more than a couple of pounds the last few years. We want him to be healthy going forward....

I did leave that softball for someone to hit on purpose. But Geno is no one's punching bag unless in jest.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is this the same link that is posted in the Ready For Business In Flight To Memphis thread?

I have cited the article twice on different topics. You'd be amazed at how many people don't read the article. Quote is also in the Courant article I sighted. If you are annoyed simply ignore any thread from me. Or ignore me altogether.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No matter how it all ends this year it should not be dejection but euphoria .These kids, this year, have excelled beyond the wildest expectations of very very true believers. That alone should produce euphoria.

I understand that if this season ends less than the NC--most (maybe all) Uconn kids will shed tears and have emotional lows--they try that hard.
For me it isn't the NC that's important, truly it isn't, Geno and the kids have the right to brag, not me but I do. They are giving me more fun and pure joy than this old guy is entitled to.

Reaction Score
I have cited the article twice on different topics. You'd be amazed at how many people don't read the article. Quote is also in the Courant article I sighted. If you are annoyed simply ignore any thread from me. Or ignore me altogether.
@RockyMTblue2 --you are funny. I read this and giggled, you tickle me.

Reaction Score
Well, if I have somehow offended you I'm sorry. You might look at it as confirmation of your brilliant analysis? I do not read every thread, but had I I would have still put this out there. I said in about 4 threads that UConn would run the Ducks to death and Oregon folks got a little silly. Then along come to athletic , fast teams and the Ducks suddenly looked like a Goose.

Looking for a fight, don't look for it from me unless you are close to a transfusion center. I come here for R & R, not pugilism. I spent 30 years being paid very handsomely to cut people to ribbons with words and I'm still good at it, but I cannot be baited into a fight with sorry efforts like yours or even very good efforts.

@rocky you ARE Funny have you been reading the daily comics?
"suddenly looked like a Goose." Again, you hit my funny bone, and giggles erupted. Keep it up, light funny enjoyable postings on Sunday morn is just what the Md ordered, reduce your stress he said.

Reaction Score

I started to complain about Geno's girth. Then I looked in the mirror. Over 40 weigh gets harder to reduce, over 60 the difficulty is increased. Over 70 only a truly dedicated body builder or one in the Political or Movie industry or serious health issues would have the inclination to work that hard. I had good luck and the energy to keep my weight at or below 160 until 70. I don't eat on the road or at luncheons, or speak at dinners, or entertain in eating situations--that and more is Geno's life.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I thought this would be about Coach Geno's working on his waist size. He's put on more than a couple of pounds the last few years. We want him to be healthy going forward....

John Wooden is the Wizard of Westwood. Geno is working on becoming the Gampel Globe or the Sphere of Storrs. Big Blue? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Huh? I just didn't understand the point you were making, so chimed in with an opinion of my own pertaining to what I thought you were talking about. Sorry.
Congrats on your wordsmith prowess.

Reaction Score
I understand that if this season ends less than the NC--most (maybe all) Uconn kids will shed tears and have emotional lows--they try that hard.
For me it isn't the NC that's important, truly it isn't, Geno and the kids have the right to brag, not me but I do. They are giving me more fun and pure joy than this old guy is entitled to.
For me it is the NC that’s important. I fully expect it this year. IMO we have the best team and it’s ours to lose, and I will be rooting like crazy for our women to pull it off. But, if they don’t, this team and this year’s seniors will only (and rightfully) be remembered as, “the down period after the Stewie years.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 --you are funny. I read this and giggled, you tickle me.

I do practice what I preach, so another has bitten the dust. It might be simpler if each of us had an ignore me button to go invisible to those we have to ignore.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
John Wooden is the Wizard of Westwood. Geno is working on becoming the Gampel Globe or the Sphere of Storrs. Big Blue? :rolleyes:

Stepping on a certain poster's avatar, I think Geno would like to be thought of as this guy:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@rocky you ARE Funny have you been reading the daily comics?
"suddenly looked like a Goose." Again, you hit my funny bone, and giggles erupted. Keep it up, light funny enjoyable postings on Sunday morn is just what the Md ordered, reduce your stress he said.

I see what you did there. Well played.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I started to complain about Geno's girth. Then I looked in the mirror. Over 40 weigh gets harder to reduce, over 60 the difficulty is increased. Over 70 only a truly dedicated body builder or one in the Political or Movie industry or serious health issues would have the inclination to work that hard. I had good luck and the energy to keep my weight at or below 160 until 70. I don't eat on the road or at luncheons, or speak at dinners, or entertain in eating situations--that and more is Geno's life.

Hit it on the head. I think we should all chip in and hire a personaal dietician/trainer to accompany him.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As far as the Duckling that became a Goose, here is my inspiration:

If I already posted my apologies. Multitasking - never been good at it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I was writing a post recently, and I wanted to include a John Wooden quote, so I looked up his quotes on google. That’s when I came across a mention that said Wooden did not like being called “The Wizard of Westwood.” Whenever anyone used the “Wizard” reference, it was always with reverence and respect.

Radio and Television reporters and announcers have been using that phrase in reference to him since he won his first NC in 1964.

I therefore will respect his wishes, and not call or refer to him as “The Wizard” again. I will respect him in death as I did in life. I’m not suggesting that anyone follow my lead. I’m mentioning this because there may be others that were not aware of his feelings in that regard. What they do with that information is up to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hit it on the head. I think we should all chip in and hire a personaal dietician/trainer to accompany him.
Will that include those to accompany me? To me travel is an excuse to eat.
Is that : "Hit it on the head" an encouragement for other BY-ers to hit it (me) on the head??? HMMM you can be dangerous, as well as funny.

Reaction Score

Rocky: I think you read more into my posting than that which was meant. I actually thought them funny, and yes I giggled as I read them--but I too would like you to think I'm intelligent enough to present a hidden meaning. I'd really like to be thought of as sinister, a guy with double meanings; but alas, I'm pretty much --what you see is what you get--an open book.
I enjoy 89 per cent of what You personally write--the other 11 percent you don't agree with me.

Reaction Score
As far as the Duckling that became a Goose, here is my inspiration:

If I already posted my apologies. Multitasking - never been good at it.

I don't ask for apologies--I give them. If I send you something sarcastic/snarky--(I don't even know that term) it is not meant that way. So don't apologize to ME. I'm not offended, I thought it funny.
NO INSULT INTENDED--NO HIDDEN MEANING- I thought they were funny both postings. I multitask--I sometimes walk (rarely) and chew gum (hardly).

Reaction Score
For me it is the NC that’s important. I fully expect it this year. IMO we have the best team and it’s ours to lose, and I will be rooting like crazy for our women to pull it off. But, if they don’t, this team and this year’s seniors will only (and rightfully) be remembered as, “the down period after the Stewie years.”
I like winning the NC make no mistake. I'm a Uconn fan for nearly 30 years. Good years and not so good. I watched them with no losses and a lot of losses. The way Uconn (normally) plays the game is beautiful. The kids Geno recruits are pleasures to behold.
Wins are wonderful. I have loved BB since I was 12 and Father Taylor taught me to play. The game is the thing, Geno makes the movements almost ballet like. I don't need an NC, believe me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom