Geno - Recent Videos & Columns | The Boneyard

Geno - Recent Videos & Columns

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It is entirely disgusting that Geno Auriemma--of all people--is getting hammered on this women's coaching issue. Really, shame on those critics. The only solace I take from this depressing example of group think defining deviance downward is that Geno will draw strength to be even better, even more effective. I believe this experience will give him even more energy to be productive in his mid-to-late 60s and well into his 70s. There's a four letter word starting wth the 6th letter of the alphabet that comes to mind: Use it as a verb and add "em" as the object of that verb.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What surprises me is the responses, even in support of Geno miss the basic tenet of what he actual said, which was not that women were rejecting coaching because of life style, but that were being offered much better alternatives in far greater numbers than 35 years ago when title IX was passed. It isn't that they want to stay home or don't want to put in the dreary slog of building a coaching career, but that they have so many other opportunities. Legal profession: 1980 - legal secretary; 2017 - law school (percentage of women in law school has skyrocketed); Medical profession: 1980 - nursing school; 2017 - medical school; Business: 1980 - secretary; 2017 - executive training program or business school; Teaching: 1980 - elementary or HS certificate; 2017 - PhD program. Media: 1980 - girl friday/go-fer/secretary; 2017 - reporter, presenter, panelist. Sports: 1980 - women's coach; 2017 - pro career.

The numbers for women in non-menial aspects of pretty much every segment of society have exploded in 35 years to the point of making the choice to enter coaching just one of a large number of options and for most people (not just women) not one of the most appealing from a financial or career path let alone a life style one.

Reaction Score
Pitiful that Geno's own daughter is so callous and traitorous as to call him out in public and disrespect the great privileges he has brought her. I'm sure having Daddy as a star basketball coach didn't hurt her chances of becoming a professor. Maybe she should quit her job since privilege may have played a part in her getting it.

Reaction Score
I don't find Ally's comments "traitorous". She thinks he is wrong and limited by his background. And I suspect Geno loves a good fight!
When I first heard Geno say that, I thought that he was wrong in some of his suppositions. Women have more opportunities now - and men don't? They don't have to be HS gym teachers - no, neither do the men!
Personally I believe that it is more a function of the pool of aspiring woman CBB coaches still being smaller than that of men, combined with an increased visibility and acceptability of men coaching WCBB. And I also believe that some colleges will be more impressed by a male than a female with the same credentials. As some of our earlier Title 9 woman athletes get older and choose to pursue coaching that might change. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I don't find Ally's comments "traitorous". She thinks he is wrong and limited by his background. And I suspect Geno loves a good fight!
When I first heard Geno say that, I thought that he was wrong in some of his suppositions. Women have more opportunities now - and men don't? They don't have to be HS gym teachers - no, neither do the men!
Personally I believe that it is more a function of the pool of aspiring woman CBB coaches still being smaller than that of men, combined with an increased visibility and acceptability of men coaching WCBB. And I also believe that some colleges will be more impressed by a male than a female with the same credentials. As some of our earlier Title 9 woman athletes get older and choose to pursue coaching that might change. We shall see.
I believe this too. The numbers everyone is quoting (women coaches now down to 40%) are for all women's college sports. In basketball women coaches are still in the majority (58%). The reality is there are a great deal more women's sports coaching jobs now, after Title IX, and they have to be filled by somebody. How many female coaches are there out there, qualified to coach a sport where there were hardly any women's teams a few years ago?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What surprises me is the responses, even in support of Geno miss the basic tenet of what he actual said, which was not that women were rejecting coaching because of life style, but that were being offered much better alternatives in far greater numbers than 35 years ago when title IX was passed. It isn't that they want to stay home or don't want to put in the dreary slog of building a coaching career, but that they have so many other opportunities. Legal profession: 1980 - legal secretary; 2017 - law school (percentage of women in law school has skyrocketed); Medical profession: 1980 - nursing school; 2017 - medical school; Business: 1980 - secretary; 2017 - executive training program or business school; Teaching: 1980 - elementary or HS certificate; 2017 - PhD program. Media: 1980 - girl friday/go-fer/secretary; 2017 - reporter, presenter, panelist. Sports: 1980 - women's coach; 2017 - pro career.

The numbers for women in non-menial aspects of pretty much every segment of society have exploded in 35 years to the point of making the choice to enter coaching just one of a large number of options and for most people (not just women) not one of the most appealing from a financial or career path let alone a life style one.
Very well said Miami. I'm sure this is what Geno was thinking, but he just gave a quip. Why did everyone assume he didn't mean what you said?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The change in career opportunities for men has not altered in any significant way (and if you listen to some white males it has been greatly reduced because people are actually hiring people of color and women for jobs that rightfully should be filled by white males, just like slots at colleges that used to be exclusively theirs, they now have to compete for.)

What Geno said was not that anything had significantly altered for men, but that the change in career path options for the average woman leaving college with a degree had increased significantly from what was available when title IX was passed, that their horizons had broaden exponentially.

I would also add that for scholarship athletes in sports with a significant professional option the percentage of women who have taken their college education seriously (and those who actually got their degrees) vs men is significantly greater which means that when the professional career fails to materialize or comes to an end, the women actually have much greater options while the men are much more restricted. The men's best option is usually finding something that trades on their athletics skills, for the women they may have better options using their degree and intellectual skills gained from going to classes and staying awake.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Very well said Miami. I'm sure this is what Geno was thinking, but he just gave a quip. Why did everyone assume he didn't mean what you said?
My point isn't that he was 'thinking that' but that he actually said that.

Muffet actually said that 7 in 10 applicants for a coaching vacancy are men and part of the reason is women are more interested in quality of life than career advancement.
Dawn said that she thinks of coaching as a utopian world where capability is rewarded without regard to gender.
Jenkins wrote that Balcomb chose a consulting position over a coaching job because of life style issues.

Geno said women are not coaching in as great numbers because they are more ambitious and have better options.

Where is my purse so I can hit Dawn and Sally, and Muffet over the head with feminist outrage! :eek::cool:

Reaction Score
The change in career opportunities for men has not altered in any significant way (and if you listen to some white males it has been greatly reduced because people are actually hiring people of color and women for jobs that rightfully should be filled by white males, just like slots at colleges that used to be exclusively theirs, they now have to compete for.)

What Geno said was not that anything had significantly altered for men, but that the change in career path options for the average woman leaving college with a degree had increased significantly from what was available when title IX was passed, that their horizons had broaden exponentially.

I would also add that for scholarship athletes in sports with a significant professional option the percentage of women who have taken their college education seriously (and those who actually got their degrees) vs men is significantly greater which means that when the professional career fails to materialize or comes to an end, the women actually have much greater options while the men are much more restricted. The men's best option is usually finding something that trades on their athletics skills, for the women they may have better options using their degree and intellectual skills gained from going to classes and staying awake.

I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that men's opportunities increased - just that they have always had lots of opportunities, some of which are now opened to women. Good point about women CBB players getting degrees, though I suspect it is not a big factor in whether one aspires to coach WCBB at D1 level.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that men's opportunities increased - just that they have always had lots of opportunities, some of which are now opened to women. Good point about women CBB players getting degrees, though I suspect it is not a big factor in whether one aspires to coach WCBB at D1 level.

I think the difference is that as you sit in your crummy apartment after a really miserable recruiting trip, exhausted and frustrated and contemplating your meager bank balance because you are third assistant on some middle of a mid-major conference team with small prospects of getting even an WNIT bid, and you think about that conversation you had last week with a friend who said her marketing firm was looking for bright college educated people to join the firm, no experience necessary, at a salary high than the pay stub in your hand after three years of following your coaching dream. And you realize you actually do have options unlike your boyfriend the men's third assistant coach who is trying to complete his degree by mail, and only needs another two years of credit hours.

Or maybe it is the Skype call with the teammate who blew out her knee senior season and took that entry level job at Nike and is all excited about the promotion with a six figure salary, and mentions that her old job is being advertised and boy is the Pacific Northwest tempting compared to the view outside the window of another foot of snow, or of endless fields of corn, or tumbleweeds.

It isn't the aspirations necessarily, but the realities of following dreams. I have a little history with that - following a theater dream to NYC and then after 7 years being tempted by better pay and much better prospects into a career in business. The work was harder, the hours longer, the vacations a lot shorter, but ...

[And with a lot of poetic license those are actually career stories of two Uconn WCBB graduates.

Reaction Score
I didn't think his daughters comments "traitorous " but much more "strident" than they needed to be. One or two comments IMO would of been plenty.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the misconceptions of those who criticized Geno's remarks on women in coaching is that Geno was just shooting from the hip with his remarks. I would suggest that Geno may be as knowledgeable as anyone on the motivations and opportunities of women coaches.

Geno knows and talks to hundreds of women coaches. He has helped and advised dozens more on their careers. Most importantly, he has three incredibly talented women coaches on his staff, all of whom have likely had opportunities to be successful head coaches elsewhere, but so far have chosen to stay at UConn.

I respectfully submit that Geno just might know what he's talking about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom