Geno Pulls No Punches Talking Depth | The Boneyard

Geno Pulls No Punches Talking Depth

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This slew of injuries has underscored a greater, more recent trend in the program: Auriemma having to work with a short bench. But to the coach, having a small rotation is a problem that isn’t unique to Storrs.

"This notion that I’m the only guy in America that loves to play six players — who in America loves to play six players? That might be more to the fact that there aren’t enough good players in America.

“I think the teams that won a national championship the last two years, Notre Dame played six two years ago, and I don’t know how many Baylor played last year, but there aren’t a whole lot of teams playing eight players, nine players. It just doesn’t exist anymore. So that’s one issue that we all are dealing with. Nobody likes it, but we all are dealing with that.”

“It’s more of a function of two recruiting classes that we had that sucked,” Auriemma said. “Whenever you see teams with a short rotation at a really high level, that’s generally what it comes down to. Two recruiting classes that you screwed up on, either you didn’t get who you wanted, or you got who you thought you wanted and you didn’t want them, or they didn’t turn out to be what you wanted.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The news about Crystal's back is concerning.

It is not good when the medical staff can't seem to get a handle on it. :(:(

“Hopefully we’ll know more [Wednesday]," after additional test results come in, Auriemma told reporters Tuesday. “I think the rest is doing her good, but it’s just a wait and see right now. They’re not quite sure what it is.”

Molly will probably start. I hope her confidence is high.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Fun interviews. What popped out at me was how relaxed Megan was. Less serious and more laughter. Anna as well.

Also less ambient noise. :D:D

Liked Geno at the very end when asked what he thought about OU and Baylor losing. ' It's a bi%#tch being at the top' I hear it is hard to win 100 games as a #1.

For those who think Molly is going to have a full reconstruction, Geno sets the matter straight. Sure., we are going to 'fix' Molly in a week after trying for 4 years. (Paraphrase) You got to try to slow her down but slowing Molly down is like having her crash and burn only half the time. He does not want CW to handle point issues (and she clearly agrees) since it messes with her normal scoring mentality. Geno needs Anna to share alot of those duties.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I expect that UConn will get by Seton Hall without Crystal, if necessary. But I would really like to see Crystal ready to go against the guard heavy lineup of ND later this week.

Reaction Score
It is not good when the medical staff can't seem to get a handle on it. :(:(

“Hopefully we’ll know more [Wednesday]," after additional test results come in, Auriemma told reporters Tuesday. “I think the rest is doing her good, but it’s just a wait and see right now. They’re not quite sure what it is.”

Molly will probably start. I hope her confidence is high.

I doubt it, most likely a starting 5 of Makurat, Williams, Walker, ONO, Irwin

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I doubt it, most likely a starting 5 of Makurat, Williams, Walker, ONO, Irwin

As long as Anna is 100%, I agree but would expect Molly to have significant minutes

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For all those who has commented that these are kids who should be able to play unlimited minutes....
I don’t think Crystal’s minutes had anything to do with her injury. She took an awkward fall during the tOSU game and got up slowly. To her credit, Crystal shook it off and finished the game strong. I suspect that her back tightened up after the game. Injuries happen.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
When you choose to limit recruiting class size and keep the roster, at the most , 12 players, the possibility of a recruiting class "sucking" (Geno's word) increases.

The knowledgeable posters on the board seem to think the 21 class will have 3 (if it is Fudd) or maybe 4 players in it. Taking 4 still keeps them under the 15 maximum. UConn has two really good commits already for 21. There are a lot more great players besides Fudd that could help the program long-term.

I realize questioning a recruiting strategy that has worked well for years is foolish. I am just discussing the depth issue and how it is relates to recruiting that Geno talked about with the media.

Reaction Score
For all those who has commented that these are kids who should be able to play unlimited minutes....

Her injury was not a result of too many minutes, she just fell awkwardly.

Reaction Score
The wear and tear of the season with the short bench is going to eventually take it's toll.

Reaction Score
The news about Crystal's back is concerning.
Very concerning. CW can and shall run the point and score. Ania and Griffin may get more time. All things have a positive outcome if one looks for it.
I'm a bit confused: Didn't a poster recently post that with the high level of so many WCBB players the future is full of top level teams or words to that effect. How can it be when Geno says there are few really good players around so rotations are down to 6 not 8 or 9. (paraphrasing of course)

Reaction Score
Her injury was not a result of too many minutes, she just fell awkwardly.
Does the 40 minutes or close to that per game have any impact on her spasm?

Reaction Score
The word was SHOULD not COULD. If any kids can play 40 minutes most games it is Geno's kids. He conditions them. The body will withstand most things you demand of it--when pushed too hard, it breaks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does the 40 minutes or close to that per game have any impact on her spasm?
I’d guess no but who knows.

Reaction Score
The word was SHOULD not COULD. If any kids can play 40 minutes most games it is Geno's kids. He conditions them. The body will withstand most things you demand of it--when pushed too hard, it breaks.

I thinks it's more than conditioning. It's learning to perform on a high level despite fatigue. UConn's practices certainly condition them but everyone gets tired. It's how they respond to being tired that separates UConn from most teams. They practice playing tired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom