Geno Pre-Game Press 1/25 | The Boneyard

Geno Pre-Game Press 1/25

Reaction Score
These are such great interviews. Geno is relaxed, candid, not exhausted like he normally is during a post-game presser.

His answers to the questions of how the players are reacting to the "legacy" aspect of this rivalry were revealing -- this all developed before they were born, so it's natural that they are focused more on Thursday's game than on the history of the rivalry. Talking to them about the early days in the '90s was probably like Geno's comparison, a couple of weeks ago, of Paige & Azzi with Blanchard & Davis -- a remark that passed right over the heads of most of the sports writers present.

I want to bring up a point that was mentioned in the DePaul post-game presser, which has apparently since been taken down. Somebody asked Geno about Jana, and the possibility that she might be pressed into service to fill out this season's roster and maybe even help the team to go all the way. I loved Geno's answer. Sure, it might help to have Jana in reserve on the bench, come tournament time. And it could even help in putting the team over the top. But would this be in the best interest of the player/student? Would it be fair to use up one of her four years of eligibility, even if it meant nailing down another championship this year? Clearly, it would not. . . . I like to think that most coaches in America would similarly find that question a no-brainer to answer. Or -- I should clarify -- most WOMEN'S coaches. The men's recruitment uses an entirely different standard; if they can get an outstanding freshman to take their team to a national championship, and he then wants to turn pro right away, who cares about all those plans for getting a 4-year college degree?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno mentioned that the Big East Conference is going to 18 games next year instead of the current 20. That will allow UConn to add two more preseason games that he appeared excited about. Two less conference games suggests the conference is losing a member school.

Anyone have any information or insight on this?

Reaction Score
GENO verified what I have been saying for the last year in this video. Pat Summit willing to play UCONN when they were finally blossoming into the powerhouse they became was the birth of Women's BB when they became the rivalry that became the talk of the country. Pat said she would play anyone and Geno says he will play anyone. and LO,competitive BB was born that took the nation by storm. I believe we are 16 and 8 against them and when Pat passed, TENN has not been the same without her. The rivalry has lost it's luster since, but is still a great game to watch. The play will be tough and hopefully, no one on either team gets hurt. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Geno mentioned that the Big East Conference is going to 18 games next year instead of the current 20. That will allow UConn to add two more preseason games that he appeared excited about. Two less conference games suggests the conference is losing a member school.

Anyone have any information or insight on this?
I think they announced this at the beginning of the season. AAC started like the Big East with 20 conference games before reducing it to 18 and then eventually 16. Hopefully we can cut two more Big East games eventually to get back down to 16.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think they announced this at the beginning of the season. AAC started like the Big East with 20 conference games before reducing it to 18 and then eventually 16. Hopefully we can cut two more Big East games eventually to get back down to 16.
Thanks Hoops. I missed that announcement.

Reaction Score
I was glad to hear that the players have no idea about the rivalry. Hopefully their mindset is this is just another game against an unranked opponent.

Reaction Score
No. They are just reducing the number of games like every other conference. It just means that they'll only play a couple teams once each year and it will move around from year to year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No. They are just reducing the number of games like every other conference. It just means that they'll only play a couple teams once each year and it will move around from year to year.
Yes, and gives the upper tier BE teams 2 more games to beef up their resume for the NCAAT. Teams like Creighton, Villanova, Depaul and Marquette will hopefully make the most of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom