Geno, ONO, Bench, NeuroMotor | The Boneyard

Geno, ONO, Bench, NeuroMotor

Reaction Score
1. Geno, gave the Bench good time. squeezed ONO's shoulder and both smiled as she sat with 3 fouls. patted CW on the back as she came to the sideline. Positive reinforcement is good for the soul and team.

2. ONO Played with energy. The kid is a rebounding, blocking, scoring machine and only getting better--FOULS? Remember Geno's problems with refs when Stewie was a frosh they were calling imaginary fouls on her because Refs couldn't believe she could do what she was doing--is Olivia suffer the same slings and arrows?
3. The bench is getting better, not super great, better and the PT they are getting is showing in their abilities. Ms Bent is playing way beyond last season--if only she would shoot the three more often--she IS accurate.

4. NeuroMotor---No idea of what that is but at halftime an Orthopedic Md spoke about when a player is tired their Neuromotor gets "out of sync" and then physical damages begin to happen. In the interview when asked about the score Geno spoke of the team being tired--however, he took opportunities to rest the top 4.

I can only have high praise for the New Geno--the manner in which he handles and teaches these kids is more than pleasing to me, for what that's worth.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
1. Geno, gave the Bench good time. squeezed ONO's shoulder and both smiled as she sat with 3 fouls. patted CW on the back as she came to the sideline. Positive reinforcement is good for the soul and team.

2. ONO Played with energy. The kid is a rebounding, blocking, scoring machine and only getting better--FOULS? Remember Geno's problems with refs when Stewie was a frosh they were calling imaginary fouls on her because Refs couldn't believe she could do what she was doing--is Olivia suffer the same slings and arrows?
3. The bench is getting better, not super great, better and the PT they are getting is showing in their abilities. Ms Bent is playing way beyond last season--if only she would shoot the three more often--she IS accurate.

4. NeuroMotor---No idea of what that is but at halftime an Orthopedic Md spoke about when a player is tired their Neuromotor gets "out of sync" and then physical damages begin to happen. In the interview when asked about the score Geno spoke of the team being tired--however, he took opportunities to rest the top 4.

I can only have high praise for the New Geno--the manner in which he handles and teaches these kids is more than pleasing to me, for what that's worth.
I do not think that four of her five fouls were imaginary. maybe the other one was? She will learn!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah - ONO is earning her fouls - sloppy arms and slow footwork - too much swatting at shooters rather than keeping the arms straight up and letting the ball come to her.

Don't really see a difference in Geno - he has always given support when players play with energy, and been free with criticism when they do stupid stuff.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I'd say it's worth at least a pat on the back. Or shoulder.

Reaction Score
Yeah - ONO is earning her fouls - sloppy arms and slow footwork - too much swatting at shooters rather than keeping the arms straight up and letting the ball come to her.

Don't really see a difference in Geno - he has always given support when players play with energy, and been free with criticism when they do stupid stuff.
re ONO - Nine games into her freshman year, with a good performance against ND, and getting better with each game, with the skillls to be something special - I'll take it!

Reaction Score
I do not think that four of her five fouls were imaginary. maybe the other one was? She will learn!
I didn't imply or say fouls on ONO were imaginary or at least I hope I didn't. Certainly, some of the fouls Stewie committed were real fouls and that is a certainty with Olivia. Some were in the range of ticky tack. I do however believe the REF will get familiar with her and she with them. When that happens she will be a greater asset to Uconn, she is now an asset. If Geno didn't hit the jackpot with ONO/CW at least he can hear the coins jingling in the collection dish.
At times in this and the ND I felt I may be seeing the reincarnation of Kiah Stokes in Olivia's defense.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Olivia's first 2 fouls were because her foot work was no good at all. She was trailing the player for a block. You can do that in high school but not at the D1 level with UConn. She did have three good blocks. She is learning.

Olivia will not be the reincarnation of Kiah Stokes. Olivia will get her boards and blocks. She will intimidate those driving the lane. She will alter a lot of shots. But she is going to be a much better offensive threat than Kia ever was. You can see when she gets low post position and recieves the pass, she turns and goes up to the basket. She is not dropping down and trying to dribble.

Kyla, Molly and Mikayla did very good. Kyla in her second start played good D, two nice threes, 3 assists and set some good screens. Molly is starting to look for her shot! She looks more comfortable on the floor. Mikayla - good defense and some boards. Very quick. The feel for the offense will come.

Reaction Score
Olivia's first 2 fouls were because her foot work was no good at all. She was trailing the player for a block. You can do that in high school but not at the D1 level with UConn. She did have three good blocks. She is learning.

Olivia will not be the reincarnation of Kiah Stokes. Olivia will get her boards and blocks. She will intimidate those driving the lane. She will alter a lot of shots. But she is going to be a much better offensive threat than Kia ever was. You can see when she gets low post position and recieves the pass, she turns and goes up to the basket. She is not dropping down and trying to dribble.

Kyla, Molly and Mikayla did very good. Kyla in her second start played good D, two nice threes, 3 assists and set some good screens. Molly is starting to look for her shot! She looks more comfortable on the floor. Mikayla - good defense and some boards. Very quick. The feel for the offense will come.
I hope you are right about Mikayla finding a feel for her offense. At the moment she is a bit of a liability; she gets wide open for a three ( more and more, teams will give her this); she knows she cannot make it ( her shot is defective ); as compensation, she drives into traffic and turns the ball over, often without even putting up a shot. If she can find a better feel for what to do, she has a lot of skills. But teams will leave her alone at that three point line all day.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It seems a bit of a pattern with ONO that she can earn fouls in quick order. I wonder if she gets flustered and momentarily loses focus. Reminds me of a time my mom was a passenger in a friend's car on the NY Throughway. Bobbie got pulled over for speeding. She was so ramped up about it that she totally missed the next speed trap 10 miles up the road.

This is just an impression but in today's game, I thought Seton Hall was whistled for more questionable calls than the Huskies.

Reaction Score

I have to disagree................during Geno's post game TV interview he blamed their sloppy play on being tired and had no sarcastic remarks even though there were numerous mishaps in the second half.........................I believe in years passed he would have berated the team and said it was an awful display as he did last year on numerous occasions.............

Reaction Score
I hope you are right about Mikayla finding a feel for her offense. At the moment she is a bit of a liability; she gets wide open for a three ( more and more, teams will give her this); she knows she cannot make it ( her shot is defective ); as compensation, she drives into traffic and turns the ball over, often without even putting up a shot. If she can find a better feel for what to do, she has a lot of skills. But teams will leave her alone at that three point line all day.
Most if not all of what you write is accurate. Coombs is far from a finished product. Any player that fails to take an open shot is a liability. Did you notice mostly in the second half the S.H didn't bother Irwin past the 3 line, they knew she wouldn't shoot. Like Ms Bent Madam Irwin can sink the 3. The last 2 seasons she had less fear of throwing up a three. Maybe, just maybe Geno and she have discussed her concentrating on dishing and defense?? Obviously, Geno sees the need and maybe potential of having Mikayla because her position upon entering the game suggests Geno has some faith in Coombs.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Not all players will agree. See Lexi Gordon. Perhaps the current shorter roster is mandating a change in his manner. It is pleasing to see more positive reinforcement. Of course even the U.S. Marines at some point pull back and begin the build up phase.

Reaction Score
Not all players will agree. See Lexi Gordon. Perhaps the current shorter roster is mandating a change in his manner. It is pleasing to see more positive reinforcement. Of course even the U.S. Marines at some point pull back and begin the build up phase.

Gordon left because of playing time! She praised both Coach Auriemma and the UConn program in her statement regarding her transferring. There is no change in his manner, he has always used positive reinforcement with his players.

Reaction Score
This game is best observed by ignoring it. The second half was deflating, but it was good enough for Seton Hall to enter my top 5 teams in America: UConn; Drake; St. John's; Stetson (moto: "the school not the hat"); and the Pirates of Seton Hall. Now gird your loins for finals and get ready to see Sherry on the 19th.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They did the same thing to Jefferson her first two years. Some people say her shot is defective although it did not hinder her open shots in high school Bill Bradley shot the ball from his hip in high school, college and the NBA. He did fine without changing it. I believe Mikayla will also.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I agree that Kyla passed up open 3's that she should have taken. But I was glad to see her focus on her strengths and fit in to the flow of the 4 minus Megan. She played good D, made good passes, didn't turn the ball over too much and rebounded. If she made a 3 or two it would have been a great game.

Reaction Score
Not all players will agree. See Lexi Gordon. Perhaps the current shorter roster is mandating a change in his manner. It is pleasing to see more positive reinforcement. Of course, even the U.S. Marines at some point pull back and begin the build up phase.

All military fighting organizations, if a bit intellectual, when meeting resistants, will pull back and access that which confronts them.

Naive me I tend to believe Uconn when they say Lexi had physical issues. Also, I have/had no reason to believe she was thinking of transferring since I had extreme faith she would soon join the team a good to an excellent asset. I led a very protected life--only had 3 years of starvation, is life great or what?

I don't disagree with your posting. However, the manner which Geno is using, that I am allowed to see (Geno: You are not at practices), to me is more the way I want my daughter treated should she have had the talent to play at Uconn.

I often wonder how many CEO's could chew out an employee with foul language in public or hang their office's dirty wash of an individual in public or in an open office atmosphere without significant pushback?? You realize some CEO only makes 2 or 3 million per annum of course. In the professional settings in which I worked in the past 20 years even the use of the fully spelled BS spoken was unacceptable and it wasn't a religious group. You are aware of how it is with creating a hostile atmosphere, unacceptable

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree that Kyla passed up open 3's that she should have taken. But I was glad to see her focus on her strengths and fit in to the flow of the 4 minus Megan. She played good D, made good passes, didn't turn the ball over too much and rebounded. If she made a 3 or two it would have been a great game.
??? She took two threes. She made two threes.

Reaction Score
Well, that third quarter was downright disturbing. That aside, a few observations:
ONO is all upside. She commits real fouls, but what she does is fixable, mostly. She does seem to start her shots down on her body, so IMHO if she learns to keep the ball up, she'll be even better on offense. I'm not sold on Coombs yet. Love the athleticism and she's pretty sharp on defense, but she doesn't seem in the offensive flow at all. Kyla has done what I didn't think possible, which is to look like she belongs in the starting five. No, she is not an offensive juggernaut, and I'm not sure she would be a starter against a top team, but she certainly looked good today,. Molly also has improved,, against all odds. If she gets to where she's willing to shoot the three, she could make a real contribution.

Reaction Score
Well, that third quarter was downright disturbing. That aside, a few observations:
ONO is all upside. She commits real fouls, but what she does is fixable, mostly. She does seem to start her shots down on her body, so IMHO if she learns to keep the ball up, she'll be even better on offense. I'm not sold on Coombs yet. Love the athleticism and she's pretty sharp on defense, but she doesn't seem in the offensive flow at all. Kyla has done what I didn't think possible, which is to look like she belongs in the starting five. No, she is not an offensive juggernaut, and I'm not sure she would be a starter against a top team, but she certainly looked good today,. Molly also has improved,, against all odds. If she gets to where she's willing to shoot the three, she could make a real contribution.
I think we have reason to believe that Kyla and Molly are beginning to figure out that the world doesn't end if they take an open shot.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
All military fighting organizations, if a bit intellectual, when meeting resistants, will pull back and access that which confronts them.

Naive me I tend to believe Uconn when they say Lexi had physical issues. Also, I have/had no reason to believe she was thinking of transferring since I had extreme faith she would soon join the team a good to an excellent asset. I led a very protected life--only had 3 years of starvation, is life great or what?

I don't disagree with your posting. However, the manner which Geno is using, that I am allowed to see (Geno: You are not at practices), to me is more the way I want my daughter treated should she have had the talent to play at Uconn.

I often wonder how many CEO's could chew out an employee with foul language in public or hang their office's dirty wash of an individual in public or in an open office atmosphere without significant pushback?? You realize some CEO only makes 2 or 3 million per annum of course. In the professional settings in which I worked in the past 20 years even the use of the fully spelled BS spoken was unacceptable and it wasn't a religious group. You are aware of how it is with creating a hostile atmosphere, unacceptable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom