Geno On Women In The Men's Game | The Boneyard

Geno On Women In The Men's Game

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The man can flat out think and talk.

“...It’s like we need acknowledgement from someone who’s really, really good in the men’s game to elevate us to that level,” Auriemma said. "Is that flattering for them to say that? Yeah, but the longer you do that the more you do that it’s like you’re saying ‘Hey, even these guys think you’re good.’ And that’s not fair, because if you ask Sue or [Taurasi] or any of those guys, when they’re around NBA players they’ll be the first to tell you that they look at Sue and look at Chris Paul and think the exact same thing. They don’t think ‘Well for a women’s basketball player she’s pretty good.’ They don’t think that. They look at [Taurasi] and they look at Kobe [Bryant] and they think the exact same thing. They don’t think of it as ‘Well, you’re good as a women’s basketball player. Well, you’re good in the WNBA.’ It’s not like that.”

Geno Auriemma discusses gender equality in basketball, UConn alums potentially getting into coaching - Hartford Courant

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The problem is people compare the women to the men rather than their own sport (ie softball vs baseball).

There isn’t a woman who could hang in the nba simply due to the significant physical differences between them. The nba would’ve already given her a shot if there was. The closest one is probably Griner.

I see the same problem trying to compare different generations in other sports.

The way geno mentions it is how it should be looked at. How is D compared to her peers? She’s Chris Paul/Oscar Robinson. It should not be, how would D hang playing against Chris Paul. Cause that’s just not a fair comparison. The ball is different, the 3 line is different, the size, length, strength and athleticism are all different. Hell the rim running deandre Jordan and Clint capelas don’t even exist so the game is different on O and D just for that.

It’s a different game, like the baseball/softball analogy. Both should be appreciated. Because they’re different. Neither is “better” than the other.

But there is no question they work just as hard as any other pro athlete to achieve that peak level.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
There isn’t a woman who could hang in the nba simply due to the significant physical differences between them. The nba would’ve already given her a shot if there was. The closest one is probably Griner.

Actually, I disagree about Griner. She would be a small forward or maybe a PF based on height in the NBA. She gets pushed around in the WNBA mainly because of her core. If you look at her base/frame, you notice her legs are not the crux of her strength. Whereas someone like A'ja Wilson has a much stronger base, Griner's strength is in her reach and wingspan.

In terms of who could "hang" in the NBA, you need someone who is reasonably tall, who can shoot, handle, and pass. Post players in the W would have to be wing players or forwards in the NBA, and they would likely be eaten alive.

The two that come to mind are Diana Tauarsi and Elena Delle Donne, both of whom are the two best shooters in the game, but also have great height for their respective positions. Taurasi's ballhandling and passing make her an ideal candidate with whom teams could run a pick-and-roll. Yes, there would be an issue on the defensive end of the floor, but that will be the case with any female player in the NBA.

Elena's height helps her, as 6-5 is a standard/median height for a shooting guard in the NBA. And that is where she would have to play.

What gives Taurasi the edge here is her playmaking/ballhandling, but also her shot release. It is quicker than Delle Donne's, and she needs less space to get the shot off.

Another key factor is temperament. Taurasi is unbothered by players/fans who would disrespect a female player's presence or who would question her skillset. She has the mentality to be the best, to want to take and make the big shots, to prove she belongs. Whereas Delle Donne seems more likely to internalize any criticism, Taurasi is more likely to thrive on it.

It’s a different game, like the baseball/softball analogy. Both should be appreciated. Because they’re different. Neither is “better” than the other.

I agree. They are different sports. But there is not the amount of differences in the basic premises/rules for men's basketball vs. women's basketball as there are in baseball vs. softball -- and having a different name certainly helps.

On another note, it seems that certain individual sports to not seem to have the glaring differences between men and women to a casual fan. For example, there is a believe among a number of casual sports fans that they could defeat a WNBA player one-on-one. No one says that about Serena Williams, for example. In addition, when the top women's tennis players are matched up and are cranking out serves between 115 and 120 mph, the differences between them and the men (say, 120-130 mph) are not as striking. I also noticed this when watching the women's volleyball Final Four -- the skill level, pace, and power are not as starkly different as compared to the men.

But with women's basketball, largely played below the rim, the differences appear more vast -- and, frankly, makes the truly remarkable highlight plays more difficult to appreciate by the casual fan.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="I also noticed this when watching the women's volleyball Final Four -- the skill level, pace, and power are not as starkly different as compared to the men..[/QUOTE] i like most of the analysis done by camrncrx1974 except the volleyball part. The net heights differ by 7 inches which would greatly affect attackibg and blocking. There is also a big difference in the ability of serving, and hence the ensuing receiving. Volleyball is not a good example either. I just have not seen a well round elite female volleyball player can survive on an elite men’s team.

Reaction Score
When Geno was asked what the score would be between one of his great teams and a men's team he said "Whatever score they wanted it to be." Women can't compete with men in a sport that takes into account any physicality. No day, no night, no way, no where, no how and would have absolutely no chance. Please, please, please... there isn't a chance the W All-Stars would stay in a game against a decent NCAA team. The whole game would be a high-light reel.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The man can flat out think and talk.

So can I.

I just don't always do it in the same order as Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom