Geno On Unrealistic Expectations | The Boneyard

Geno On Unrealistic Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m watching Geno’s interview today. Lots of good stuff pushing back against expectations. He channels his inner Herm Edwards with my favorite line, “I thought the object is to win the game.”

Reaction Score
Speaking of expectation. I really like the way Liv answers the question at the end about practice. I don't think she agrees with Geno's comment about her not wanting to practice, and sometimes Geno says things to push them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is the first team in a long while without a NCAA champion on it - the last two graduated last year. Before that it was 2007-08 Maya's freshman year.

They lost 40 points of offense, 17 rebounds, per game as well as 266 assists, 97 steals, and 84 blocks to graduation. The offense came at 54% shooting as well as 2-1 A/TO ratio and about eight foul shots a game. Your replacing that with a senior who has never played more than ten minutes a game until this year, a sophomore who got 14 minutes a game as a freshman and a freshman who is just learning about Geno and US basketball. The Senior and the Soph average 6 points total in their 24 minutes combined last year.

To me it is little surprise that they are have growing pains this year. Lou and Napheesa were so reliable game after game for the last three years that their absence is not something you just replace.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Have we heard one question to a player from the media about "why isn't UConn what they used to be"? I can't remember seeing or reading one. Comments here? Sure. But for the most part the hoard tosses softball questions at both the players and Geno.
And Geno has always told us that winning isn't the goal, that perfection is the goal. Unatainable? for sure, but coming close to it is the result of setting it as the goal.
I have watched many good to great teams elsewhere play just to win. With the exception of a couple of runs they look mediocre for 3 periods and then win it in the 4th period. Sound familiar? I always said to myself how do their fans watch that? And why doesn't their coach demand better? If Geno wants nothing but blind support from fans he isn't the coach I have come to admire.

What I do remember him saying about his players in the past is that he "beaks them down" until mid January and then "builds them up" the rest of the season. Looks like the breakdown phase is over.

Further, I think for the most part this board realized that this was going to be a tough year. The complaints I have are about unforced errors, missed layups and a lack of hustle and of energy expenditure. UConn used to get a high percentage of loose balls. Not this year. UConn used to anticipate passes, intercept them and turn them into points. Not this year. Transition points are almost non-existent along with points off turnovers. Those things aren't about talent or experience, their about effort. I remember some of those pre-1995 teams. They hadn't nearly the talent but the effort was way better. I watched some old games from 1999 - 2004 and it wasn't the obvious talent level that impressed me, it was the effort. They were all over the floor on defense. I watch them this year. Rebounding is a good example. The ball hits the rim and most of them never move until the ball hits the floor. It's like they feel it isn't on them unless it comes right at them. Not all the time but often it's the other team that runs down the loose balls while 2 or 4 UConn players have their shoes glued to the floor. Not everyone. Griffin anticipates rebounds well. So does Williams. The rest look as though they are waiting for the ball to come to them.
Transition? Non-existent. I was at the Baylor game and thought the top reason UConn lost was a lack of transition. And it wasn't UConn's fault, Baylor focused on getting back on defense the entire game, taking away what has been a UConn staple for decades. I accept that from Baylor. But not against Houston, UCF and Memphis. Here are some revealing stats from the last 3 games:

1st period scoring: fg: 14-48 29% 3pt: 4-36 11% ft: 0-6
What those numbers tell me is that no one is driving. (6 fts in 30 minutes of play?) They are settling for 3's and taking bad ones. I understand missing some 3's but 11% against 3 fairly bad teams? That's inexcusable. UConn starts 4 very good 3 pt shooters. No wonder teams are packing the paint. And that's why UConn can't get inside. Instead of ONO setting some high screens and rolling UConn keeps trying to toss it to her down low, the thing she is worst at doing.

You want numbers? Totals for the last 3 entire games> Pts off turnovers: 13/game 2nd chance pts: 8.6/game, fast break pts: 7/game.

I can't list the number of lazy intercepted passes or the times players have not met the pass. But talent and inexperience isn't needed to do those 2 things efficiently.

The reasons? No idea. We don't attend practices, nor do we hear the coaches talking to the players or among themselves. But to me it all adds up to a lack of energy and focus. I suspect that too much attention is being given to figuring out where they are supposed to be at any given moment, and what they should do next. But that's just speculation. Maybe Geno needs to make it simpler. You don't hand a second year piano student, no matter how talented, a Liszt* piano concerto unless you want to hear a messy performance.
I won't start speculating as to what should be done. But I won't deny what I can see with my eyes.

* I know nothing about classical music but I do remember a teacher saying that he wrote music that only he could play (something to do with his finger spread).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Have we heard one question to a player from the media about "why isn't UConn what they used to be"? I can't remember seeing or reading one. Comments here? Sure. But for the most part the hoard tosses softball questions at both the players and Geno.
And Geno has always told us that winning isn't the goal, that perfection is the goal. Unatainable? for sure, but coming close to it is the result of setting it as the goal.
I have watched many good to great teams elsewhere play just to win. With the exception of a couple of runs they look mediocre for 3 periods and then win it in the 4th period. Sound familiar? I always said to myself how do their fans watch that? And why doesn't their coach demand better? If Geno wants nothing but blind support from fans he isn't the coach I have come to admire.

What I do remember him saying about his players in the past is that he "beaks them down" until mid January and then "builds them up" the rest of the season. Looks like the breakdown phase is over.

Further, I think for the most part this board realized that this was going to be a tough year. The complaints I have are about unforced errors, missed layups and a lack of hustle and of energy expenditure. UConn used to get a high percentage of loose balls. Not this year. UConn used to anticipate passes, intercept them and turn them into points. Not this year. Transition points are almost non-existent along with points off turnovers. Those things aren't about talent or experience, their about effort. I remember some of those pre-1995 teams. They hadn't nearly the talent but the effort was way better. I watched some old games from 1999 - 2004 and it wasn't the obvious talent level that impressed me, it was the effort. They were all over the floor on defense. I watch them this year. Rebounding is a good example. The ball hits the rim and most of them never move until the ball hits the floor. It's like they feel it isn't on them unless it comes right at them. Not all the time but often it's the other team that runs down the loose balls while 2 or 4 UConn players have their shoes glued to the floor. Not everyone. Griffin anticipates rebounds well. So does Williams. The rest look as though they are waiting for the ball to come to them.
Transition? Non-existent. I was at the Baylor game and thought the top reason UConn lost was a lack of transition. And it wasn't UConn's fault, Baylor focused on getting back on defense the entire game, taking away what has been a UConn staple for decades. I accept that from Baylor. But not against Houston, UCF and Memphis. Here are some revealing stats from the last 3 games:

What those numbers tell me is that no one is driving. (6 fts in 30 minutes of play?) They are settling for 3's and taking bad ones. I understand missing some 3's but 11% against 3 fairly bad teams? That's inexcusable. UConn starts 4 very good 3 pt shooters. No wonder teams are packing the paint. And that's why UConn can't get inside. Instead of ONO setting some high screens and rolling UConn keeps trying to toss it to her down low, the thing she is worst at doing.

You want numbers? Totals for the last 3 entire games> Pts off turnovers: 13/game 2nd chance pts: 8.6/game, fast break pts: 7/game.

I can't list the number of lazy intercepted passes or the times players have not met the pass. But talent and inexperience isn't needed to do those 2 things efficiently.

The reasons? No idea. We don't attend practices, nor do we hear the coaches talking to the players or among themselves. But to me it all adds up to a lack of energy and focus. I suspect that too much attention is being given to figuring out where they are supposed to be at any given moment, and what they should do next. But that's just speculation. Maybe Geno needs to make it simpler. You don't hand a second year piano student, no matter how talented, a Liszt* piano concerto unless you want to hear a messy performance.
I won't start speculating as to what should be done. But I won't deny what I can see with my eyes.

* I know nothing about classical music but I do remember a teacher saying that he wrote music that only he could play (something to do with his finger spread).

Re: Liszt (possibly) in the history of music...never happened, never will..I don't care how much genius.
years and years of study required.

Re: Team aims...you nailed it...Geno definitely preached a different sermon when he had the studs.
I mean: four years of Stewie/Moriah/ Tuck and co will certainly degrade one's perspective.

OT to this...someone sent me a link of Gabby's recent game.
Maya clone, even the moves...confidence and accuracy in long range bombs, opening up
the lanes to the hoop...25 points, 6 steals...

She's an ancient 23, has finally figured it all out and will tear up the W this season

Reaction Score

Very good observations. I see a lot of the same things but I won’t speculate on any individuals. I’ll just throw out three things I see lacking that seem to me to fit into your observations. Urgency, hunger, and the G. Williams/ N. Collier brand of relentlessness. Seems like all of the best UConn teams dating back to K. Bascom have had a couple of these alpha type kids that bound the team together and made them attack the opposition.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Watch some of the fast breaks. Often they don't seem to be running as fast or hard as in the past. Maybe it's just me. I never thought I'd see a UConn team that struggled to score sixty, seventy points, even after having a big first quarter.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Geno, Geno, Geno!

A few observations:

...We're asking Liv to be Like Pheesa...
Nooo, we're not.

...We're asking a kid (Liv) who hardly played last year to be Pheesa...
Liv should have gotten 30+ minutes a game in all AAC games last year. Why not?

QUOTE="Geno, post: 0, member: 0"]
...We're asking Anna to come in here and be like Lou...
[/QUOTE]
No, we're not. Give her 30+ minutes a game now and we'll be fine come tournament time.

...We didn't perform well the last 4 1/2 minutes (of the Baylor)...
Reason: LIV was sitting next to you; therefore, NO interior defense and NO real Post play.

Some sage advice:
We all love you and think you do a terrific job. Occasionally, you do mess up...
1) Don't be so hard on yourself.
2) Don't compare current players to AA's from past teams.
3) Don't throw water bottles.
4) When you feel like screaming at the players; AND do, try coaching as that is when they need you the most.

5) When you act as in #3 or 4 above, you make the whole team jittery.

Reaction Score
OT to this...someone sent me a link of Gabby's recent game.
Maya clone, even the moves...confidence and accuracy in long range bombs, opening up
the lanes to the hoop...25 points, 6 steals...

She's an ancient 23, has finally figured it all out and will tear up the W this season

I love reading that. :)

Reaction Score
This is the first team in a long while without a NCAA champion on it - the last two graduated last year. Before that it was 2007-08 Maya's freshman year.

They lost 40 points of offense, 17 rebounds, per game as well as 266 assists, 97 steals, and 84 blocks to graduation. The offense came at 54% shooting as well as 2-1 A/TO ratio and about eight foul shots a game. Your replacing that with a senior who has never played more than ten minutes a game until this year, a sophomore who got 14 minutes a game as a freshman and a freshman who is just learning about Geno and US basketball. The Senior and the Soph average 6 points total in their 24 minutes combined last year.

To me it is little surprise that they are have growing pains this year. Lou and Napheesa were so reliable game after game for the last three years that their absence is not something you just replace.
This is one of the least talented teams top to bottom in the last few years. We have missed top players at last minute but we havent brought in enough talented player. Our recruiting has dropped off somewhat and it shows with our bench players. We have lost a few players that could of helped this year because of playing time. Maybe we should change our recruiting technics a little.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score

Alydar, Can’t like this post enough.

Geno blaming fans and media for unrealistic expectations when the real issue is the disappointment fans have with the lack of focus, hustle, toughness and execution which has nothing to do with talent.

Reaction Score
All I know is if we lose to Tenn at home, there will be a LOT of explaining to do, starting with Geno. The team is not playing well, and only a very weak AAC is masking serious issues with the team.

Reaction Score
Geno, Geno, Geno!

A few observations:

Nooo, we're not.

Liv should have gotten 30+ minutes a game in all AAC games last year. Why not?

QUOTE="Geno, post: 0, member: 0"]
...We're asking Anna to come in here and be like Lou...
No, we're not. Give her 30+ minutes a game now and we'll be fine come tournament time.

Reason: LIV was sitting next to you; therefore, NO interior defense and NO real Post play.

Some sage advice:
We all love you and think you do a terrific job. Occasionally, you do mess up...
1) Don't be so hard on yourself.
2) Don't compare current players to AA's from past teams.
3) Don't throw water bottles.
4) When you feel like screaming at the players; AND do, try coaching as that is when they need you the most.

5) When you act as in #3 or 4 above, you make the whole team jittery.
[/QUOTE]

Lots of sage advice to unpack in your post. Your ideas on playing time intrigue me, and I’m curious about how you know, for example, that Liv deserved 30 minutes a game in all AAC games last year. Her work ethic on the practice floor, in strength and conditioning, and film study equated to 30 minutes a game? BTW, you fail to mention who you were taking out of the rotation to “give” Liv her 30 minutes a game. If it was someone who had paid their dues to earn those minutes, you’ve opened a can of worms that you won’t ever put the lid back on no matter what the score was, or what the team’s record was in those AAC games. The moment you “give” minutes to a player, UConn, as we know it, ceases to exist.

If Geno is making his players jittery with his coaching personality or coaching style I would suggest that jittery must be a positive if that style led to 950+ plus wins, and the highest winning % in the history of the sport, and it’s probably not going to change drastically in the near future.

JMO, which is worth exactly what it is costing you to get it.

Reaction Score
Hopefully when Tina is in town. She spends a little time with Olivia and shares how her Sophomore year was for her and show her she's not alone and what she did to help her through it.

Reaction Score
While I am sure some of the negative thoughts expressed on this Board are due to comparisons to past teams, many comments I read relate to this team's inability to be the best THEY can be. I've said since start of the year that we may not know what we have until the NCAA's

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While I am sure some of the negative thoughts expressed on this Board are due to comparisons to past teams, many comments I read relate to this team's inability to be the best THEY can be. I've said since start of the year that we may not know what we have until the NCAA's
I am not sure that it isn't more 'unrealistic' than that - I see it more as looking at the players and expecting them to perform on average at the level they performed at on the best day of their lives and being really disappointed when they do not. The great Tina Charles took 2.5 years to find her stride and sorry to say I don't think ONO is actually as physically talented nor as strong. Crystal is playing like a senior, and doing really well but I don't think she is quite the leader that Moriah or DT, or Sue, or even Renee or Bria were - not surprising because they were the greats. Megan has made a huge leap but she isn't quite Maya or Napheesa. Christyn has also made a good leap but she is still a Sophomore and she has more to grow. And that leaves the 5th started and the bench and ... all competent but not really 'prime time' - the freshman are not ready and Irwin is a nice smart player but would not be replacing any of the primary rotation players on one of the NC teams. People compare Griffin to Gabby physically but sort of forget how insignificant Gabby was as a freshman - 3 minutes in the NC game with a stat line of zeros - 0-1 shooting and 1 personal foul being the only blips on a forgettable game and zero minutes in that team's only loss.

It is a strange year in WCBB - no team looks that great and no 'upset' is that surprising. Uconn was probably over hyped and no one really listened when Geno and CD said they didn't see this as the #1 team, but now that Baylor proved it, people are jumping off cliffs. And people also seem to forget the kind of clunkers Uconn typically played every January - the mid-season doldrums that lead to losses or the benching of Stewart as a freshman.

Reaction Score
This is one of the least talented teams top to bottom in the last few years. We have missed top players at last minute but we havent brought in enough talented player. Our recruiting has dropped off somewhat and it shows with our bench players. We have lost a few players that could of helped this year because of playing time. Maybe we should change our recruiting technics a little.

Difficult to react to something as ridiculous as this. "Missed top players"? FYI 4 of our starters were the top recruits in their class: 2 of them #1; the other 2 were top 5. I would agree that we've missed out on some great players (Cox and Boston most recently), but we have another #1 coming in next year. UConn's recruiting is unparalleled. You'll have to look elsewhere for this year's problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom