Geno on the Men's Scandal | The Boneyard

Geno on the Men's Scandal

Reaction Score
athlete hours: legislating mediocrity.
I wonder if the kid who wants to practice the piano is told, "sorry, dude, your 20 hrs this week are up"

It's Geno's world and we're just listeners from a very distant and primitive planet....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s interesting that Geno also alludes to cheating in WBB, just like MM, while acknowledging that it is not at the level of MBB due to the disparity in money.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It's Geno's world and we're just listeners from a very distant and primitive planet....

What do you mean? Since what he said is simply common sense.

Reaction Score
Great perspectives. I think what he says makes a lot of sense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is well known that Geno/CD have developed such an efficient system of coaching / training that he is able to separate coaching time from academic time and that the support the students get in both areas is better than just about any school. Therefore, artificial time constraints can appear very burdensome and illogical. However, I imagine that there are plenty of situations where inefficient or incompetent coaching staffs under pressure to improve their standing can abuse student academic time with unrealistic coaching demands. Finally, I am not sure I buy into the analogy of music or computer science students and their work load. The vast majority of WCBB players will not have a career in basketball so their education is critical to their career /life aspirations. The CSC student should put in 60 hrs/week studying since that is her chosen career. Is that the workload we should give to basketball players whose future careers are in all probability elsewhere?

The bottom line is that such rules are burdensome to the elite programs and of course, the details of the rules can always be improved but there does need to be some level of protection given to avoid abuse (as Geno admits there is). From his vantage point, it seems silly but his situation is far from representative.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It’s interesting that Geno also alludes to cheating in WBB, just like MM, while acknowledging that it is not at the level of MBB due to the disparity in money.

If I heard correctly, I think he prefaced those comments with "down the road..". My take was, this isn't a problem now, but, the potential is there, as the game grows.. but, as you say, as long as there's less money at stake, the magnitude of malfeasance will be less.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I heard correctly, I think he prefaced those comments with "down the road..". My take was, this isn't a problem now, but, the potential is there, as the game grows.. but, as you say, as long as there's less money at stake, the magnitude of malfeasance will be less.
Thanks for the clarification. I will say that while I don’t believe the women’s game is tainted like the men’s game, I do believe there are over zealous coaches and boosters in the women’s game willing to skirt the rules.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had a different take. He didn't say it existed, only that it was likely to in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom