Geno on the defense | The Boneyard

Geno on the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And kudos to Doug Bruno for this:

On if the team felt any pressure coming into this game:

"Geno has to worry about his team. His team is really good and talented and yet they might not be living up to his and UConn's standards. We've got to worry about our team and our team has had some good possessions but we haven't been good yet this year either. We had a good score the other day against Syracuse but we still didn't do a lot of things correct. So, when you are not executing the way you want to execute, which is what we have been doing all year, and then you play against somebody as talented as UConn, you run the risk of being exposed. Let me say this, I think it's really important because everyone will dwell on the score. I'd still rather have the players in this locker room having the gumption to play. Only 12 teams out of 330 play these guys (UConn) non-conference, and I'd rather have those guys in the locker room with the guts to play these guys, even if they happen to get absolutely annihilated like we did. I just really, really rather them have the guts to step out on the floor and try it than not try it...There's a lot of teams at this time of year that are really good that are playing some of the bottom of the Division I food chain, so I'd rather our players do what they did and even fail than not. UConn's really good."

He's praising his own team's courage in playing UConn and doing a little work for his old buddy by suggesting that UConn might not be as good this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What impressed me all night with the defense was that they were playing tight on the perimeter, but no one was getting beat on drives which is where this team can get in trouble - I think DePaul had maybe three baskets on drives all night - there was some help defense, but for the most part it was straight up man with everyone keeping their man in front of them.

And when they did go to zone, it was a very aggressive zone with pretty good close out to the corners. And Natalie played well both man and zone, which I thought was going to be difficult for her against this team. Also Chong was really effective I thought on defense, as was the whole team, but she usually gets singled out for criticism - she was one of the better defenders tonight.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And when they did go to zone, it was a very aggressive zone with pretty good close out to the corners. And Natalie played well both man and zone, which I thought was going to be difficult for her against this team. Also Chong was really effective I thought on defense, as was the whole team, but she usually gets singled out for criticism - she was one of the better defenders tonight.
Yes!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Great win but what is with all these mindless turnovers? And a few players need strengthening always seem to be falling or unable to finish through contact.. If this team cleans up those two issues, this would be another undefeated UCONN team...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
When you are playing that fast and making lightening passes to moving teammates, you are going to make some turnovers; can't be helped. I'll take it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What impressed me all night with the defense was that they were playing tight on the perimeter, but no one was getting beat on drives which is where this team can get in trouble - I think DePaul had maybe three baskets on drives all night - there was some help defense, but for the most part it was straight up man with everyone keeping their man in front of them.
Yes, the 1v1 perimeter defense was pretty impressive tonight by all the players.

And Natalie played well both man and zone, which I thought was going to be difficult for her against this team. Also Chong was really effective I thought on defense, as was the whole team, but she usually gets singled out for criticism - she was one of the better defenders tonight.
Agreed, I thought Chong looked pretty good defensively tonight. Very happy she is stepping up in that department. And Butler did much better than I thought she would. They both proved me wrong tonight. And that's a good thing. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great win but what is with all these mindless turnovers? And a few players need strengthening always seem to be falling or unable to finish through contact.. If this team cleans up those two issues, this would be another undefeated UCONN team...
Most were caused by DePaul's zone and their players' quick hands. Hopefully, the Huskies will learn.

Reaction Score
And kudos to Doug Bruno for this:

On if the team felt any pressure coming into this game:

"Geno has to worry about his team. His team is really good and talented and yet they might not be living up to his and UConn's standards. We've got to worry about our team and our team has had some good possessions but we haven't been good yet this year either. We had a good score the other day against Syracuse but we still didn't do a lot of things correct. So, when you are not executing the way you want to execute, which is what we have been doing all year, and then you play against somebody as talented as UConn, you run the risk of being exposed. Let me say this, I think it's really important because everyone will dwell on the score. I'd still rather have the players in this locker room having the gumption to play. Only 12 teams out of 330 play these guys (UConn) non-conference, and I'd rather have those guys in the locker room with the guts to play these guys, even if they happen to get absolutely annihilated like we did. I just really, really rather them have the guts to step out on the floor and try it than not try it...There's a lot of teams at this time of year that are really good that are playing some of the bottom of the Division I food chain, so I'd rather our players do what they did and even fail than not. UConn's really good."

He's praising his own team's courage in playing UConn and doing a little work for his old buddy by suggesting that UConn might not be as good this year.

Love Doug Bruno and I might be a minority on this thought but he's the type of coach that can coach and win a championship with UCONN's talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom