Geno on shot selection | The Boneyard

Geno on shot selection

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Love the 3 rules

1) Must take an open shot if the player had worked on that shot in practice.
2) Never take a contested shot if some one else is open
and
3) Katie Lou can take a shot from anywhere (paraphrasing) :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Shot selection and effort are the hallmarks of UConn players.

When players like Skylar, Diamond, Courtney Williams, et al. truly learn shot selection, they will take the next step toward greatness.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Love the 3 rules

1) Must take an open shot if the player had worked on that shot in practice.
2) Never take a contested shot if some one else is open
and
3) Katie Lou can take a shot from anywhere (paraphrasing) :D
I think Diana, Maya, and Kaleena had the ultimate green light too.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Shot selection and effort are the hallmarks of UConn players.

When players like Skylar, Diamond, Courtney Williams, et al. truly learn shot selection, they will take the next step toward greatness.
I've seen almost every Sun game this year, and I never observed Courtney Williams taking a conspicuously ill-advised shot. It is almost slander to put her in the same category as Diamond. I haven't seen Skylar play much since she left Notre Dame, but as a college player I did not notice that she threw up too many bad shots either.

Reaction Score
As only he can talk about it. I believe this brief clip is from a coaches clinic in South Carolina in April.

He is really a riot. I wonder if he was thinking of our last shot?

Reaction Score
I think Diana, Maya, and Kaleena had the ultimate green light too.
In their final 2 years you could add Moriah, Stewie, Tuck---
DT is a given---DT after her frosh year, maybe then, she could do whatever she wanted on the floor.
DT is one you never want to bet against---and she isn't my Favorite Uconn player..

Reaction Score
I'd bet 10 cent maybe up it to 25 --that when Geno's mind isn't otherwise occupied he thinks of the game and incidentally the last shot too. I was about to get long winded on that game---can't ride a dead horse to your funeral!!

Reaction Score
3 takeaways for me:
1. The shoutout to Lou, who did not have a good season after her 10-10 game. Shows he trusts her through thick and thin.
2. Brilliantly, he links appropriate shot selection to effective rebounding and defense.
3. Not body shaming here. Don't know if Geno took off weight (looks like he has), but he looks terrifically fit and energetic.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I doubt it. Geno tends to hold on to his mistakes rather than those of his players. Saniya was trying to make a play or draw a foul and it didn't work. Oh well. UConn didn't deserve to win that game and it's well past time to move on.

Reaction Score
I've seen almost every Sun game this year, and I never observed Courtney Williams taking a conspicuously ill-advised shot. It is almost slander to put her in the same category as Diamond. I haven't seen Skylar play much since she left Notre Dame, but as a college player I did not notice that she threw up too many bad shots either.

Since it is written, libel? Somethings are not about that which they are about--but the names in the contest. In an opinion piece supposedly you can say anything that is your opinion--and still not see a judge on it.

Is this the Fla Courtney or the Tx Courtney Williams---both IMO were very good shooters
Kelly Faris learned how good Diggins was when she couldnt stop her. Diggins was an excellent passer to 2 or 4 excellent shooters I've seen Diamond, and I agree she could use Geno's course in shot selection---she is still a scoring machine.

Reaction Score
3 takeaways for me:
1. The shoutout to Lou, who did not have a good season after her 10-10 game. Shows he trusts her through thick and thin.
2. Brilliantly, he links appropriate shot selection to effective rebounding and defense.
3. Not body shaming here. Don't know if Geno took off weight (looks like he has), but he looks terrifically fit and energetic.
As some one who looks in the Mirror 8 times a year---after sixty, not much fun looking--and each tme I work to lose weight---I think Geno did the same. Energetic--is what Geno must be this year to work with 13 ? top players and (except 3 frosh) try to keep them all with needed minutes.
Geno has a Lou, according to other thread, that has taken on the leader role big time---and Geno likes leaders and top shooter--look to Lou to become his DT type kid this year. I think your term SHOUT OUT to LOU is accurate--last season Geno had 4 or more players he trusted --KLS, KIA, Collier, Gabby
I hope he has 8 this year.

Reaction Score
The thing I like about Geno's teaching method is that he always drives home his point with an impossible to forget example. "Has anybody mentioned your name yet" and the point it made will stick with that player till the end of time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The thing I like about Geno's teaching method is that he always drives home his point with an impossible to forget example. "Has anybody mentioned your name yet" and the point it made will stick with that player till the end of time.

I agree. He used the player's teammates -- her peers -- to drive home the point. That really sticks (often because it stings).

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, maybe Courtney is not a good example. At USF, there were games when she tried to do too much. I thought she took too many shots, but she may have been their best scoring option. I love Courtney's stop-on-a-dime-and elevate jumper. If she is squared up and in her range, I like that shot unless someone is open under the basket. Trying to do too much has been true of Angel for much of her career.

I'll note someone whose shot selection is excellent: Nneka. In college, she took some open jumpers before she became a solid shooter from that distance. But over the past couple of seasons, she has expanded her repertoire. She shot about 67% last year. That is done only by taking the right shots.

Even Maya, my favorite player, has taken some bad shots this season. Confidence is great, but a dash of discretion helps.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He also touched on the other sin - not taking an open shot your teammates expect you to take. That can kill offense as much as taking a shot your teammates don't expect you to take.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Local motels and restaurants along with the referees make a boatload of money. That's about it.
There's the tee shirts. Don't forget about the tee shirts.

Reaction Score
Ok, maybe Courtney is not a good example. At USF, there were games when she tried to do too much. I thought she took too many shots, but she may have been their best scoring option. I love Courtney's stop-on-a-dime-and elevate jumper. If she is squared up and in her range, I like that shot unless someone is open under the basket.
Alex Bentley is a better example of taking tough shots when you have better options. I don't want to beat on her too much, I like the fact that she is not afraid to take the big shot, but she needs to learn to play within the offense, especially now that there are other good options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom