Geno on Late Season Naismith Coach of the Year Watch List | The Boneyard

Geno on Late Season Naismith Coach of the Year Watch List

Reaction Score

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Actually a pretty good list. Good to see names like Fernandez, Barnes-Arico, Mike Carey, Wes Moore and yes - Kellie Harper.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As AmeriConn pointed out, TAMU has been a real positive surprise this year. To me, Tennessee, South Florida, Michigan, and South Dakota State have also been. Mizzou State is about where I expected them to be, but Hamilton has done a great job in her first year (as has Kellie Harper after departing Mizzou State).

That's what I'd use as a criterion, but the committee doesn't usually think that way. I still can't get over Geno being National Coach of the Year Stewie/Moriah/Tuck's senior year. Yes, they were undefeated, but that team didn't really seem to need elite coaching to win. Then the following year, when UConn exceeded all expectations, they presumably didn't want to give it to him two years in a row.

Reaction Score
IMHO, Brenda would be tough to overlook if they finish with just two losses this season. Not only did they replace most of their lineup, they’ve also played without Reese and Channise Lewis (top backup) and with a hobbled Zoe Young (2019 five-star).

Reaction Score
If you are going by performance v preseason prognostication, who deserves it more than Geno?
Particularly when seven first year players plus a high schooler join three returning starters and a top reserve player, and one of those returning starters is currrently injured. The tremendous maturity being shown by this group of players is simply phenomenal.

Geno should also get an Emmy for his portrayal of a basketball player on Monday at practice [one-on-one vs Aubrey]. CWill's reaction was priceless!!!! I believe his performance in practice got the intended response for the game based on the TEAM Defense, and how CWill (& company) limited St. John's leading scorer to 2 points (Saylor P had 3 points & Piath had 2 points) after lighting up the scoreboard for 33 points in the previous game.... No opponent scored more than 7 pts... Very enjoyable week so far!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno getting on the court definitely tipped the scales. It is in the bag ? ?

Two days after a video surfaced of Auriemma dressing up as a practice player and playing one-on-one with Aubrey Griffin, the Hall of Fame coach joked that his special appearance on the court (clad with a headband, sweatband and some basketball shorts) may have had something to do with his team’s strong play.

“That’s not a coincidence, you know,” Auriemma said. “Don’t discount the effect that that particular day had on our team. The intensity level was raised, the urgency level was raised. Certainly the level of play went up, the skill level went up, the basketball IQ level went up, and everybody just kind of fed off of that.

“I waited as long as I could, but I couldn’t wait any longer. I had to break it out.”

Reaction Score
Actually a pretty good list. Good to see names like Fernandez, Barnes-Arico, Mike Carey, Wes Moore and yes - Kellie Harper.
Agree, although I really think Kamie Ethridge from WSU should of been on that list. I would argue her fellow PAC-12 coaches would agree. They were picked to finish dead last in the PAC-12 and beat both UCLA and Arizona. They compete in every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom