Geno on how to watch UConn: everyone should listen to this | The Boneyard

Geno on how to watch UConn: everyone should listen to this

Reaction Score
Apologies to vowelguy who started the thread on the show, but it needs to be emphasized. his current interview on the UConn WCBB facebook

At ~29 minutes he has wonderful, wonderful things to say about Lou and around 32 minutes, he is obviously pissed at all the Boneyard critics of this year's play :)))--just kidding--but he is very serious about challenging us to reconsider how to evaluate and appreciate the team.

this is a really, really important interview and goes on, after the commercial break, to talk about recruiting and the spectacular rise in overall quality of the university.

This is the honest, no playing games, Geno, not the guy who uses the bully pulpit to provoke his players or team by talking them down.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It was hardly new news for Geno to say that mens and womens hoops looks pretty bad because the kids today have an attention span of ...and he holds thumb and index finger about a half inch apart. He said in a lot more words that it is unrealistic to think that UConn can sustain beautiful basketball over 4 quarters. He added that when it isn't beautiful doesn't mean it isn't good. If that's profound, then I'm a cantaloupe.

The biggest thing Geno said during that interview is the the Huskies are 2 different teams: the one with Lou and the one without.

Reaction Score
It was hardly new news for Geno to say that mens and womens hoops looks pretty bad because the kids today have an attention span of ...and he holds thumb and index finger about a half inch apart. He said in a lot more words that it is unrealistic to think that UConn can sustain beautiful basketball over 4 quarters. He added that when it isn't beautiful doesn't mean it isn't good. If that's profound, then I'm a cantaloupe.

The biggest thing Geno said during that interview is the the Huskies are 2 different teams: the one with Lou and the one without.
Actually I don't think he meant that. He was talking about how the differences between forwards and guards are like having two different teams and Lou bridges the two. At least that's how I took it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually I don't think he meant that. He was talking about how the differences between forwards and guards are like having two different teams and Lou bridges the two. At least that's how I took it.

Yes, he did say that in explaining(barely) how things change w/o Katie Lou.

Reaction Score
he is very serious about challenging us to reconsider how to evaluate and appreciate the team.

I think that show should be mandatory listening before posting. Geno's comments about expectations of perfection and particularly how a team "looks" are really relevant. That and a course on civility would go a long way. Never happen of course, but I can dream.

Reaction Score
Yes, he did say that in explaining(barely) how things change w/o Katie Lou.
Yeah things change without Katie Lou, just as they change without Crystal or Gabby or Kia. I'd argue it would be a much bigger blow to the team to be without Crystal or Kia than Katie Lou. I took his two team idea to mean guards vs. forwards instead of team with KLS vs. team without KLS, but it's open to interpretation since he wasn't explicit.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yeah things change without Katie Lou, just as they change without Crystal or Gabby or Kia. I'd argue it would be a much bigger blow to the team to be without Crystal or Kia than Katie Lou. I took his two team idea to mean guards vs. forwards instead of team with KLS vs. team without KLS, but it's open to interpretation since he wasn't explicit.

Just to be clear: Yes, he said without Katie Lou it is like there are 2 teams out there: the guards and the forwards. Then he explained how katie Lou's abilities to work outside and inside changed the dynamic on the floor, so they are one team with her and a different team without her, and he prefers the former. He was making the point that you seem to contest: mkatie Lou offers things to the team that no one else on it offers, and that boils down to head aches for opposition that no one else offers, and that equates to more opportunities for all the Huskies on the floor.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The era of flawless basketball is over."
Geno

In context Geno was suggesting that era was "the Maya era". The man says things for effect, which is the essence of persuasion and some would say sophistry. Harken back to the Maya Era, you know, the one where Geno said everyone stood around and watched Maya save the day. @bags27 , yes it is good Geno theatre, but that is what it is. We all bore the man, so he has to make a little theatre to keep himself amused and engaged with the rest of we mere mortals.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The team has proven that it can win against good teams without KLS. So, seeing how she will make the team better than it has been means that this team should go undefeated this season. She definitely adds a different dimension to the team that will lift it to a higher level, imo.

Reaction Score
Apologies to vowelguy who started the thread on the show, but it needs to be emphasized. his current interview on the UConn WCBB facebook

At ~29 minutes he has wonderful, wonderful things to say about Lou and around 32 minutes, he is obviously pissed at all the Boneyard critics of this year's play :)))--just kidding--but he is very serious about challenging us to reconsider how to evaluate and appreciate the team.

this is a really, really important interview and goes on, after the commercial break, to talk about recruiting and the spectacular rise in overall quality of the university.

This is the honest, no playing games, Geno, not the guy who uses the bully pulpit to provoke his players or team by talking them down.
Geno IS at his best when he sticks to--just the facts mam--and he is excellent with jokes, but not at the expense of his players.
This IS the Geno I like. He is such a giving person, he is so humorous, and a decent coach--I like all he does except the snipping, sniping, insulting his team members. That' s best done in private.
In a world of "creating a hostile workplace" sniping is dangerous territory.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

That was my take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom