Geno on Golden State Warriors: "I like the idea of superteams" | The Boneyard

Geno on Golden State Warriors: "I like the idea of superteams"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wish I could link to the video directly, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this.

Geno defends the GSW and Kevin Durant's decision to join them in free agency. KD and Steph Curry combined to win the last three NBA MVP awards. Of course, UConn WBB players have been compared, at times ad nauseum, to players representing Golden State...

The video link is below. Again, it doesn't link to the video per se, but it does link you to a page where the video can be accessed.

Golden State Warriors Basketball - Warriors News, Scores, Stats, Rumors & More - ESPN

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting take, but ...
It is one of the issues I have with specifically the NBA, but with professional sports in general. The model I grew up with was you had your team and you supported them through good times and bad, and you got attached to the players on your team as you watched them develop from their rookie year through their retirement. When free agency came in, the sports changed a little bit as a few players started moving around more freely, but most of the players returned each year so the fan experience wasn't really effected too much - in some ways it was enhanced when your team got a stud you were thrilled an you had the agony when one of your favorites left, but the team was recognizable year to year.
But as free agency has matured, you now often can't recognize your team from year to year because of all the changes. And you don't see teams develop over years building to championship contenders as the 'super teams' get created out of thin air, exist for a year or two, before a new super team gets created somewhere else. There are now sports fans in the NBA who no longer are fans of a specific team, but of a specific player as he moves around the country - a different kind of fandom, and one that I think cuts into the value of specific franchises. It is one of the reasons I stopped following the NBA having grown up a diehard Celtics fan.

At least with the NFL the 53 man roster means the free agency departures and arrivals seldom create unrecognizable teams with so many players returning each year. And with baseball - the amount of money tossed away on bad deals and the larger rosters also create fewer recognition problems.

And it has dropped down to the college men's game - the one and done schools like KY are unrecognizable year to year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I hate one-and-done. Speaking of Kevin Durant, how awesome would it have been to have had him for more than a year at Texas? The same could be said for Anthony Davis.

But anyway, Geno is saying he likes superteams. :)

Reaction Score
Of course he does. He certainly had one the last four years, and you could even go back to the days of Maya and Tina, so it's been the better part of a decade of dominance.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Of course he does. He certainly had one the last four years, and you could even go back to the days of Maya and Tina, so it's been the better part of a decade of dominance.
Indeed, Maya/Tina was a function of getting two #1-rated recruits (or close to it in Tina's case) in consecutive seasons. The 2010 through 2012 recruiting classes proved to produce jackpot after jackpot and send seven kids to the first round of the WNBA draft...not to mention produce six NCs. Is that the equivalent of getting the past three NBA MVPs on one team, even with so much money at stake? Time will tell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom