Geno needs help w/ the Team USA starting lineup....please help... | The Boneyard

Geno needs help w/ the Team USA starting lineup....please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn 9.jpeg

Imagine you are Geno Auriemma and coaching Team USA this weekend against China, Serbia and Angola. (Angola game is actually Tuesday.) On your bench you have 12 of the best basketball players in the world. The first three games, while not easy, should be opportunities to mix and match your lineups. Who do you start and is there a "theme" to that group?

For example, the "All-Tall Lineup" w/ DT (6 ft.) at point, Dupree (6'2"), Stewie (6'4"), Tina (6'4") and B. Griner (6'8"). That would be a match-up nightmare for any opponent, but still gives you balanced scoring and great defense. I would love to see this group for 10-15 minutes in any game.

My 2nd example is the "Final Four M.O.P. Lineup." DT (2003, 2004), Maya (2010), Tina (2009), Stewie (2013, 2014) and B.G. (2012). Scoring, defense, and lots of hardware. Five players w/ seven "Most Outstanding Player in Final Four" trophies.

My last example is the "My Bench Can Beat Your Starters Lineup." Whalen & Odyssey at guard, Stewie & Nneka at forward and assuming B.G. starts, Tina off the bench at Center. I pretty sure this team could win the silver medal if they were playing as their own country.

Any other ideas...??
Go Team USA...!!!

Reaction Score
View attachment 6980

Imagine you are Geno Auriemma and coaching Team USA this weekend against China, Serbia and Angola. (Angola game is actually Tuesday.) On your bench you have 12 of the best basketball players in the world. The first three games, while not easy, should be opportunities to mix and match your lineups. Who do you start and is there a "theme" to that group?

For example, the "All-Tall Lineup" w/ DT (6 ft.) at point, Dupree (6'2"), Stewie (6'4"), Tina (6'4") and B. Griner (6'8"). That would be a match-up nightmare for any opponent, but still gives you balanced scoring and great defense. I would love to see this group for 10-15 minutes in any game.

My 2nd example is the "Final Four M.O.P. Lineup." DT (2003, 2004), Maya (2010), Tina (2009), Stewie (2013, 2014) and B.G. (2012). Scoring, defense, and lots of hardware. Five players w/ seven "Most Outstanding Player in Final Four" trophies.

My last example is the "My Bench Can Beat Your Starters Lineup." Whalen & Odyssey at guard, Stewie & Nneka at forward and assuming B.G. starts, Tina off the bench at Center. I pretty sure this team could win the silver medal if they were playing as their own country.

Any other ideas...??
Go Team USA...!!!

Reaction Score
Bill you are one of my all time favorites, smart, incisive, to the point. So what makes you think we can do better. I like your lineups--I too would love to see your big's all at once.
Sue Bird is my all time PG but Whalen is amazing at times--and good all the time. To have her and Sue with a back up of Sims (notice one M) has to be great for any coach.
OK Bill give us your assessment of the China game-who, what, lineup??

Reaction Score
View attachment 6980

Any other ideas...??
Go Team USA...!!!

Gotta get Sue Bird in there.....UConn for the Win lineup.....Bird, DT, Maya, Stewart and Charles. Added bonus it would have many seeing orange.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Bill you are one of my all time favorites, smart, incisive, to the point. So what makes you think we can do better. I like your lineups--I too would love to see your big's all at once.
Sue Bird is my all time PG but Whalen is amazing at times--and good all the time. To have her and Sue with a back up of Sims (notice one M) has to be great for any coach.
OK Bill give us your assessment of the China game-who, what, lineup??

I'll handle that request for Bill. :rolleyes: The first three are given, Bird, DT and Maya. If Geno starts B.G. (to get her in sync w/ those 3), the question is does he keep Tina in there or start Dupree. Not sure why Dupree only got 5 minutes last game, but I love the Tina AND B.G. front court. So I will guess Geno goes w/ Bird, DT, Maya, Tina and B.G. against China. Watch for a dunk in this game or against Angola. ;)
DavidinNaples

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Starting line-up------Whalen Griner ,Moore DT Dupree
Second team subbing-------Bird tina Stewie Sims Nneka
after that,rotate everyone in and out per their needs and to keep everyone fresh

Everyone on the first team should get plenty of shots,with the opponent concentrating on Griner.The defense can take lots of chances with Griner controlling the middle
On the second team,Tina,Stewie and Nneka should get plenty of inside play on offense,and force the opponents offense to look to outside for their scoring

Whatever the coaches decide to put in,and what combination to have on the floor,it should be a nightmare both offensively,and defensively,for the opponent.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I'll handle that request for Bill. :rolleyes: The first three are given, Bird, DT and Maya. If Geno starts B.G. (to get her in sync w/ those 3), the question is does he keep Tina in there or start Dupree. Not sure why Dupree only got 5 minutes last game, but I love the Tina AND B.G. front court. So I will guess Geno goes w/ Bird, DT, Maya, Tina and B.G. against China. Watch for a dunk in this game or against Angola. ;)
DavidinNaples

I am looking forward to seeing a Charles/Griner front court.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Bird will get the start. So will Dee. I'll bet Seimone also gets the start, and likely Tina. However I am looking forward to seeing who Geno chooses.
We have a good batch of players who will vie for the very important 6th man spot as well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the starting line-up will be what we have seen to date - Sue, DT, Maya, Dupree, Charles.
But how about the 'blowing everyone's expectations' anti-Uconn starting lineup - Griner, Nneka, Augustus, Whalen, and Angel, with Sims and Dupree rotating as first sub!!! Or the non-Olympic team of Griner, Nneka, Dupree, Stewart, and Sims? (Stewart proving she can play the '2'.) or the vertically challenged team - Sims, Bird, Whalen, DT, and Angel.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would start Whalen, Taurasi, Moore, Nneka and Griner. I could be persuaded as to other options at 4. I just like Nneka's game.

This would be my starting 5. I would like to see Griner and Charles on the floor together at times but I don't think it will happen much as Geno will need to rotate Griner and Charles at center. Not sure that Geno will take the step of starting Griner over Charles, although I think Griner is the better true center.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I would start Whalen, Taurasi, Moore, Nneka and Griner. I could be persuaded as to other options at 4. I just like Nneka's game.

Curious to know why not Bird?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
RadyLady said:
I am looking forward to seeing a Charles/Griner front court.

I would be intrigued to see that as well. I said last week that think Tina would be better utilized at the 5, alternating with BG rather than playing alongside her, but I would still love to see that combo take the floor. Probably limited to special situations.

We'll see how it plays out.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
VAMike23 said:
I would be intrigued to see that as well. I said last week that think Tina would be better utilized at the 5, alternating with BG rather than playing alongside her, but I would still love to see that combo take the floor. Probably limited to special situations.

We'll see how it plays out.

Agreed. Remember, the Twin Towers is something that when he has the personnel, Geno will implement

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That might be the most talented starting line-up, but I suspect we will see the more experienced starting line-up instead. I think he will not want to start two newcomers to the national team in Nneka and Griner and while I think Whalen is perhaps more talented at this point than Sue, I still think Sue has a steadier hand as a floor general.
That said - I will not be surprised to see Nneka and Griner and maybe Whalen end up with more minutes that Dupree, Charles, and Bird, I just think he will want the older hands to take that initial pressure. We see that when he has viable options when he coaches rookies at Uconn, and I think we will see the same with the USA team.

Reaction Score
DavidinNaples
Please excuse my screwup--I truly meant YOU David. Generally when a talented player gets but 5 min--Geno is showing his displeasure, usually in practice.
Again DAVID--my mind went out the back door as my head went out the front. Try to figure that one out--
One more time--how will USA fare against China?
How close is their biggie to Griner/Charles/Stewie??

Reaction Score
This would be my starting 5. I would like to see Griner and Charles on the floor together at times but I don't think it will happen much as Geno will need to rotate Griner and Charles at center. Not sure that Geno will take the step of starting Griner over Charles, although I think Griner is the better true center.
I bet he'd start Griner. I don't know anybody in the world (with the exception of Fowles and Charles) who can provide a reasonable matchup. Imagine Griner going to the bench for a rest and having to face Charles.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Curious to know why not Bird?

I think Whalen is a better player. I'm not savvy enough to know if the fit/familiarity benefits that Bird offers make her a better choice than Whalen. It's possible it does.

Reaction Score
I bet he'd start Griner. I don't know anybody in the world (with the exception of Fowles and Charles) who can provide a reasonable matchup. Imagine Griner going to the bench for a rest and having to face Charles.

What a nightmare for opposing players & their coaches. Then again it would be a nightmare having both Griner & Charles on the floor at the same time. Nightmares all around for USA's competition- when you think you have solved one problem two others pop up.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Please excuse my screwup--I truly meant YOU David. Generally when a talented player gets but 5 min--Geno is showing his displeasure, usually in practice.
Again DAVID--my mind went out the back door as my head went out the front. Try to figure that one out--
One more time--how will USA fare against China?
How close is their biggie to Griner/Charles/Stewie??

U-phann...no worries, I've been called far worse... ;)
USA will crush China, by 25-30, and it won't be close. Just my opinion. The exhibition game against them in Paris was over early. Only hot 3 pt shooting in the 2nd half made the final margin 24 pts. In answer to your question, their bigs are big..!! Center is 6'6", four other starters are 6'3, 6'3", 6'2" and leading scorer Chen is 5'11".

But China is more of a 3 pt shooting team than a physical, shot blocking team. They made 21 of 49 threes, but blocked only 1 shot in the 3 exhibition games. By contrast, USA made 14-49 threes, but blocked 22 shots. China's big center led the team in rebounding w/ 17 in three games, but scored only 16 pts (5.3 avg). The leading scorer, Chen averaged 11.3 pts per game, more than 1/2 on threes. After her, scoring is very spread out among 5-6 players. China had 6 players shoot 50% from 3 pt range..!! But in several cases it was 1-2 or 2-4, so not many shots. Chen took 15 threes, the next highest was only 7, 6, 5 then 4.

They also don't foul much, only 41 in 3 games. USA had 77 fouls. :mad: So they are big, but not overly physical. They shot 42.9% from the 3 pt arc. If they get hot, they can stay close. If we defense the 3 better, game over. Keep in mind, Griner played in China this past season and was dominant. She averaged 24 pts per game and over 10 rebounds/game. She had 100 blocks in 27 games. :eek: China will probably give up trying to score in close and take twice as many 3 pt shots.

One final point. CD is in town and designing the defensive scheme. IMO, this game is o-vah before it starts. We will see...
Go Team USA..!!!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This tourney will be a lay-up for the U.S. until the medal rounds.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I also think people forget the Olympics and how Geno had almost 'two lines' (like hockey) and would let the starts go about 5 minutes and then change out 5 for 5. He mixed and matched as well, but with limited practice time he liked having two groups of five players that could get more comfortable with each other and gel as a unit. I expect in practice he is using that same concept with the 'red' and 'blue' teams going against each other. They are all running the same offensive and defensive schemes so they can mix and match, but they can also get each get more used to playing with four players rather than having to learn to play with the infinite combinations you can use with twelve skilled players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom