Geno Makes His Pitch? | The Boneyard

Geno Makes His Pitch?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As a campaigner, Geno could use some work.

“But I would put Lou's numbers and what Lou's done — and I don't want to hear, ‘Yeah, but, your league isn't this and that,’” Auriemma said. “You know what? We do the same thing to teams outside our league that we do to teams in our league. … I'm sure there are a lot of players who have had great years, don't get me wrong. I shouldn't say a lot. A couple. But I don't know that anybody has had a better year than Lou. And does more for their team. Name me a player in America today that is as good a shooter as Lou, as good a passer as Lou, as good a ball-handler as Lou, as smart as Lou. So you put all those things together and you go, 'How many of those are out there?' There are guys who maybe are better shooters. Better passers. Better ball-handlers. Smarter. I don't know. But I don't know one that has all those things, and makes their teammates better.”

Still, he finishes strong.

Samuelson Player Of The Year In Geno Auriemma's Opinion

He comes across better in the video.

Reaction Score
Right before that he called out the media for anointing a player POY before a single game had been played.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She's got a shot. I wouldn't be too surprised seeing the POY awards split up between a couple players. Wilson will definitely get hers, but I could see KLS, maybe Mitchell grabbing one?? (add in Ionescu with a chance)

In 2014, Stewart, Sims and Ogwumike each grabbed one.

There are 4 major ones.
Naismith (Atlanta Tip Off Club)
Wade (WBCA)
Wooden (LA Athletic Club)
AP

Could get interesting this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
His best lines: " Who is the best player in the country? Well, maybe, the best player on the best team. That's always a pretty good place to start. [If he could stop there, but no.] So I always think that way, but that's just me.”

Reaction Score
She's got a shot. I wouldn't be too surprised seeing the POY awards split up between a couple players. Wilson will definitely get hers, but I could see KLS, maybe Mitchell grabbing one?? (add in Ionescu with a chance)

There are 4 major ones.
Wade (WBCA)
AP

it would be great if KLS got at least one of those awards.........I think Wilson was preordained by the press and Mitchell gets the kudos for her gaudy numbers............most outsiders probably view KLS as just one member of a really talented team

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For clarification, is the NPOY a regular season award? When is the final voting done? Before the FF?

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score

There are 4 major ones.
Wade (WBCA)
AP

I'd consider the USBWA award also a major one. Understandably, the AP and USBWA award winners largely overlap.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'd consider the USBWA award also a major one. Understandably, the AP and USBWA award winners largely overlap.
It's kinda like the AAC. ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To be honest, I am reminded of the old EF Hutton commercials-When Geno speaks, people listen. Geno has too many media links for this not to get picked up and discussed-Rebecca being the main one. Lobo is key as she has to deal with the 2 SEC shills in Nell Fortin and Andy Landers who go ga-ga over Wilson in their studio segments.

Kara Lawson chiming in would be nice as well. I do think Debbie Antonelli is a logical assessor of who impacts a game (wow, I can't believe I just typed that so either I am going more senile or Deb has modified her dialogue and coalesced her thoughts).

Now, I also believe Wilson has had a fine year and deserves some accolades, the point is she isn't the clear cut winner like many have come out with.

As far as Mitchell goes, no, just no. She's had a nice career but she didn't will her team on her back like Plum or Wilson did (or do). While her assists are up, she still is lacking in defense and impacting meaningful games. Name a top 10 matchup where she shined?

From what I know, there are the 3 Major POY awards-Please correct me if I am mistaken:
  • Wade Trophy (since 1978), the
  • AP Player of the Year
  • USBWA (called the Ann Meyers)

I am ok with Wilson and KLS splitting some form of these...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can't believe I just typed that so either I am going more senile or Deb has modified her dialogue and coalesced her thoughts).

I've decided that it depends where she is. Deb Disingenuous Antonelli.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
From what I know, there are the 3 Major POY awards-Please correct me if I am mistaken:
  • Wade Trophy (since 1978), the
  • AP Player of the Year
  • USBWA (called the Ann Meyers)

See posts immediately above yours.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

There are 4 major ones.
Wade (WBCA)
AP

Myers-in my research, I actually found 6 awards:
Here's a recap (as prompted by Mister2)

WSBA-1978 the Wade Trophy (named after Lily Margaret Wade-Delta State)
Naismith-1983 first awarded by Atlanta Tip off Club
WBCA-1988 called Ann Meyers Drysdale award
Associated Press Player of the year-1995
John Wooden Award-2004 LA Athletic Club
The BY Award-1995 only UConn players have won this prestigious award as they are most deserving. In theory another player from an opposing team could win it if they far supersede anything any player from UConn has ever done, which has not happened and most likely will not happen in any forum members view.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Watching Lou's offense is like watching Gabby's defense. The impact is beyond even what the numbers suggest. The slight nod for Lou is she has seemed to improve a bit more in the areas where she was weaker in. They both contribute in many ways outside of their core area of focus, and while I believe Lou is deserving, I also hope Gabby is right there for NPOY consideration and also makes AA.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Watching Lou's offense is like watching Gabby's defense. The impact is beyond even what the numbers suggest. The slight nod for Lou is she has seemed to improve a bit more in the areas where she was weaker in. They both contribute in many ways outside of their core area of focus, and while I believe Lou is deserving, I also hope Gabby is right there for NPOY consideration and also makes AA.

Chances are pretty slight for Gabby to grab any of the NPOY awards, because they are traditionally biased towards offense-oriented players. However, there would be no justice in this world if Gabby does not make AA again this year.

Reaction Score
Chances are pretty slight for Gabby to grab any of the NPOY awards, because they are traditionally biased towards offense-oriented players. However, there would be no justice in this world if Gabby does not make AA again this year.
I believe Gabby will repeat as DPOY this year...and with that secure her second AA... IMHO

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell? Ohio St. has been a disaster this year. Twenty-three and six. Not what they were expecting. Katie Lou has been the most consistent player for UConn this year. Just wish she hadn't missed any games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom