Geno/KML and Dolson/Oriakhi | The Boneyard

Geno/KML and Dolson/Oriakhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2 thoughts to ponder over your Monday morning coffee:

1) Do you think Geno's "going off" on KML a few times during the ND game was the right move? As well as sitting her during OT.

While it may very well help her down the road, isn't the goal also to win the game? His getting in her face seemed to totally take her out of the game mentally.

2) With new and talented post players coming in for the women next season (a la Drummond with the men's team), any shot that Dolson has an Oriakhi-like junior year? I realize that she is much more talented/valuable to her team than AO, but I'm just wondering how her game will be affected when someone who is simply better arrives on the scene.

OK...now ask the waitress for that refill and feel free to reply.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thats what happened with Charde IMO...

your theory is reasonable

KML is suppose to be the next "Precious"... I thought!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Give it a rest guys...KML understands what is expected of her. Geno is just doing his job. KML played poorly down the stretch...Geno was right to bench her and going off on her under those circumstances goes with the territory. Geno knows what he has in KML he will do what he has to do in order to get her where he needs to get her. Comparing KML with Charde is way, way off base.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Give it a rest guys...KML understands what is expected of her. Geno is just doing his job. KML played poorly down the stretch...Geno was right to bench her and going off on her under those circumstances goes with the territory. Geno knows what he has in KML he will do what he has to do in order to get her where he needs to get her. Comparing KML with Charde is way, way off base.
attach JMO to the end of your post please and I'd respect it more

Reaction Score
All I said was "was it the right thing to do"? Because none of the berating throughout the game actually helped KML.

Reaction Score
I have faith in GA and CD's ability to manage the team, and a situation such as this. It has been said many times that one of Geno's strengths is that he knows how to develop a top shelf player, of which KML is undoubtedly one.... No, I didn't like him chastizing her at the end of the game so vocally, but that is part of coaching at that level..... I have seen the same with Pat S, Kim M, etc.... no problem there.....

This game was just one blip on the screen, just one game on the slate.... we will be ready for it, and our players will be improved..... Heck, we may lose next game, but at least the players will have grown. I can't say that for all the other top programs. Go Huskies!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I have faith in GA and CD's ability to manage the team, and a situation such as this. It has been said many times that one of Geno's strengths is that he knows how to develop a top shelf player, of which KML is undoubtedly one.... No, I didn't like him chastizing her at the end of the game so vocally, but that is part of coaching at that level..... I have seen the same with Pat S, Kim M, etc.... no problem there.....

This game was just one blip on the screen, just one game on the slate.... we will be ready for it, and our players will be improved..... Heck, we may lose next game, but at least the players will have grown. I can't say that for all the other top programs. Go Huskies!

My problem is not the pointing out of mistakes...rather, it is the use of that particular time out for negative emphasis on the past when the point of the game is how to win in OT.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
attach JMO to the end of your post please and I'd respect it more
JMO is one of the most useless phrases going. Every post is essentially just another person's opinion. Adding JMO is simply away of attempting to discount another's post via the back door.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My problem is not the pointing out of mistakes...rather, it is the use of that particular time out for negative emphasis on the past when the point of the game is how to win in OT.
Agree, in general, with your point Oz but we, also, don't know what he was upset with. It may or may not be something KML was doing that was critical to winning the game or winning in the future.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Geno is Geno - I see him hollar ( for lack of a better term) at the team during time outs in a rout as well. I don't take issue with that. I feel that if he is engaged even overly so, he is coaching and teaching, for now and for the future. He may be correcting something that he wants to run again; I would not second guess him. It is when he is not saying anything and the team is losing that bothers me. But that's just me.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Upset is easy in life...its what you do or did with the "upset" that is important. In this case, I personally prefer coaching over screaming, unless one assumes that coaching =screaming. Anyways, we lost, and I hope for learning from the game for all.

I remain a fan of Geno, just not every minute. He is the adult in the room.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One should, also, realize that Geno was making his point over a thoroughly raucous ND crowd. Using volume and emotional facial expressions help cut through the fog to communicate his point as did the benching.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Every good coach I had or my kids had was a screamer, yeller, in your face guy. Geno is no different. The nice sweet talk nicey nice coaches didnt win. One quality of being great is being mentally tuff and being able to take what your coach dishes out , because when you face an opponet who is trying to intimadate you, you can overcome it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
JMO is one of the most useless phrases going. Every post is essentially just another person's opinion. Adding JMO is simply away of attempting to discount another's post via the back door.
add IMO or JMO to this too! or would you rather I say "Icebear I discount your post" (running out the back door)

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Who knows how KML will react at this early point in her career? Maybe she will treat his screaming like Svet...."I no understand English" and then giggled under her breath, or like DT and just laugh at him. Hopefully she treats it with a thick skin, learns from it, and doesn't go Charde on him. .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While it may very well help her down the road, isn't the goal also to win the game?

Not necessarily. The main goals for Geno is to play as close to perfect of a game as possible, develop players and to win a NC. Winning individual games is just a product of the main goals.

His getting in her face seemed to totally take her out of the game mentally.

Then there is a problem she and he will have to work on. Having your coach get on you, should get you mentally INTO the game not taken out of it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno went off on KML after the last possession in regulation because she went to the wrong spot on the floor right after the play was drawn up in the huddle. He also went off on KML at the end of the Baylor game because she passed up an open shot. Both were mental mistakes made at the end of the game when fatigue and duress were likely factors. Geno was coaching for tournament games when those kind of mental mistakes could end the season. It's up to KML to learn how to take in the message and not let the method or timing of delivery affect her going forward. It's all part of the growth process.

BTW, I was critical of Geno on his yelling at KML until I learned that it wasn't the turnover he was upset about, but rather the fact that she went to the wrong spot on the floor.

Reaction Score
One should, also, realize that Geno was making his point over a thoroughly raucous ND crowd. Using volume and emotional facial expressions help cut through the fog to communicate his point as did the benching.

This is the point that gets overlooked. I couldn't make it this year, but last year I sat floor level along the baseline and the crowd at Notre Dame is very loud, especially considering last year's game went down to the wire as well. You have a different appreciation for home court advantage when you can look directly into the eyes of the UConn players and see them screaming at the top of their lungs just trying to communicate with their teammates.

Reaction Score

I totally disagree.

IMO, coach A is entirely too emotional and vocal during the game and especially during time-outs.

There are some people who just don't respond favorably to in your face type of leadership.

My question is this: Hasn't KML's overall performance declined in the last few games, as compared to the beginning of the season?

I believe it has!

And I suspect that some of it, if not a lot, has to do with her reactions to the way that she has been embarassed in public by the coach.

What is effective in some coaching relationships may not be effective in all coaching relationships.

I hope that I am wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score

Oh, I could understand the benching if he had an equal of superior player to replace her.

Since that isn't/wasn't the case I understood the benching as being a completely negative directed at KML.

Peace,

John Fryer

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I totally disagree.

IMO, coach A is entirely too emotional and vocal during the game and especially during time-outs.

Whether he is or isn't, he is not about to change now from what he's done the last 20 years. Most people would likely take the success from his techniques and every player that signs on to UConn knows exactly what they are getting into.

There are some people who just don't respond favorably to in your face type of leadership.

That is true and they (generally) should not choose come to UConn.

My question is this: Hasn't KML's overall performance declined in the last few games, as compared to the beginning of the season?

I believe it has!

It may have and it may be the result of 1000 reasons.

And I suspect that some of it, if not a lot, has to do with her reactions to the way that she has been embarassed in public by the coach.

Your projection and speculation of her reaction and your hyperbole that she has been "embarrassed in public"

What is effective in some coaching relationships may not be effective in all coaching relationships.

That is true

I also hope that you are wrong and I seriously think you are.

Peace,

John Fryer

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I totally disagree.

You honestly think he's calm and collected during practice? You don't think KML (and every other player) hasn't been yelled at by Geno before in practice? He threw the whole team out of practice a couple weeks ago.

I believe it has!
She's a freshmen. Freshmen are always gonna go through some tough patches. Besides this is the time of year when players and the team have trouble due to classes being out.

Remember, the best thing about Freshmen is they become Sophomores.

I don't doubt you are seriously wrong.

Reaction Score
John F - Maybe being yelled at contributes to KML lack of success, but I will not add conjecture on GA's courtside manner. I think he is doing just fine running the team.....

Yes, you are correct, players have to be treated differently, per fact they are individuals..... but I do not want to pass judgment on GA's handling of his players as such.

Reaction Score
Not to go too much off on a tangent, but the times I have seen UT on national TV, I see PHS yelling at her players, and yelling at them when network brings cameras into halftime lockerroom. Don't see a lot of "love 'ems" with that team, though I am sure there is a time for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom