Geno is a Smart Guy | The Boneyard

Geno is a Smart Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have you noticed most final four years when UConn is in the mix that Geno will take the pressure off of his players by being in the center of a media maelstrom? This year it is the Dan Shaughnessy tweet. Previous years have been 'fights' with Muffet and Pat, calling Men's Hoops a Joke, and on and on. Coincidence? Maybe....Geno is a smart guy and a wise leader.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno didnt start the Dan whatever his last name is stuff... just responded. no need to take the pressure off Stewie, she's in a zone right now #clickin

same for Moriah and Morgan... been here, done that... they know whats at stake

Reaction Score
The "fight" with Muffet was started by Muffet, and I think the comments about men's basketball came after the season. Not everything that happens is due to the puppet master as Kara Lawson called him. It's just that we hear about every little thing because of the amount of attention the program receives from the media.

Reaction Score
I agree that he has not started these media discussions, but he doesn't shy away from them and I think as a smart leader he hast multiple intentions in his responses. First, Geno is a straight speaking guy who is going to say what he thinks, which I appreciate. Secondly, if it diminishes media attention on his players then that is a bonus. While the seniors have been through this before, there is significantly more pressure this year 'to do something no one has done before'. It may be a total coincidence, but when every little detail matters, as the coaching staff has demonstrated consistently, it wouldn't surprise me that Geno might react more strongly to put the attention on him which will result in less attention on the players. And I could be totally off-base here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Patrick - I was thinking about this and wondering what he might do this year to lessen the pressure of 'undefeated' and '4 in a row' and 'HISTORIC', and then this was just dropped in his lap and all he had to do was start answering questions. Just because he doesn't start something doesn't mean he can't use it. I always thought Muffet was a little forced and that she was doing the same thing to help relieve pressure on their own undefeated season - she never really looked comfortable with it.
I know Stewart and Jefferson and Tuck are old hands with the FF pressures, but you saw after the last NC game, how draining that season had been in the way Stewart was on the podium. This really isn't easy, and for the next 5 days every reporter is going to ask about history, and winning four, and what it means, and however laid back these players are it will start repeating in their heads. With this ready made controversy, now they are going to get lots of questions about something else that is different and annoying and will stoke their fires, not their fears.

Geno talks about letting it be all about the players - what he really means is, let it be all about the other teams' players and about me, and leave my players alone so they can do their thing! :rolleyes::)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is no doubt in my mind that Geno does this deliberately -- he takes whatever material is available at the time (Shauhnessy this year, Muffitt last year, etc.) and revs up his quote machine, so that he becomes the media focus rather than his players. He may also feel that any publicity or controversy is good for WCBB, and this is the one week of the year when the number of media ears focused on the sport is at its maximum.

It is not a spur-of-the-moment reaction.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree that he has not started these media discussions, but he doesn't shy away from them and I think as a smart leader he hast multiple intentions in his responses. First, Geno is a straight speaking guy who is going to say what he thinks, which I appreciate. Secondly, if it diminishes media attention on his players then that is a bonus. While the seniors have been through this before, there is significantly more pressure this year 'to do something no one has done before'. It may be a total coincidence, but when every little detail matters, as the coaching staff has demonstrated consistently, it wouldn't surprise me that Geno might react more strongly to put the attention on him which will result in less attention on the players. And I could be totally off-base here.

I have been thinking the same thing. yeah, he didn't start it but he sure has milked it and I do believe it has been to take some measure of pressure of the question of whether the 4peat will happen. Not to say the issue doesn't bug him, but as Shea has repeatedly stated(and she's hardly alone): He does nothing that has not been vetted and calculated. He went into that conference loaded for bear.

Reaction Score
The "fight" with Muffet was started by Muffet
I'm so glad you brought this up, because I've always wondered about it.

After Natalie Achonwa got hurt just before the game with UConn, Geno texted or tweeted sympathy, saying, "believe me" (I remember those words), he knew what Muffet was going through.

Sounds nice, huh? But how did Geno know what Muffet was feeling? Well, of course, two of his own stars had been hurt in 01, thus giving ND its only NC!!

Muffet went nuts after that. I think Geno was baiting her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have been thinking the same thing. yeah, he didn't start it but he sure has milked it and I do believe it has been to take some measure of pressure of the question of whether the 4peat will happen. Not to say the issue doesn't bug him, but as Shea has repeatedly stated(and she's hardly alone): He does nothing that has not been vetted and calculated. He went into that conference loaded for bear.
I was think the same thing, prompted by something Slu said in a different thread. I did not see on the video of the person who asked the question but it sounded a lot like it was Kerith Burke asking the question. Geno seem well prepared with the Tiger reference and the additional comments about writing about things that make you happy ,and then the very personal slam at the end "there are a lot better writers out there than Shaunesey"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

After Natalie Achonwa got hurt just before the game with UConn, Geno texted or tweeted sympathy, saying, "believe me" (I remember those words), he knew what Muffet was going through.

Sounds nice, huh? But how did Geno know what Muffet was feeling? Well, of course, two of his own stars had been hurt in 01, thus giving ND its only NC!!

I don't think Natalie Achonwa's injury played a part in the animosity. This article kind of details the hostility and mentions 1) ND move to the ACC an Not being able to "fit" UCONN into the schedule 2) Muffett felt in her own words that ND got no respect when they were "beating" UCONN and actually calls UCONN a bully. At the very end Achonwa is mentioned because Geno actually gave her his seat at POY COY awards ceremony.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...sh-says-there-no-civility-connecticut-huskies.

Reaction Score
I don't think Natalie Achonwa's injury played a part in the animosity. This article kind of details the hostility and mentions 1) ND move to the ACC an Not being able to "fit" UCONN into the schedule 2) Muffett felt in her own words that ND got no respect when they were "beating" UCONN and actually calls UCONN a bully. At the very end Achonwa is mentioned because Geno actually gave her his seat at POY COY awards ceremony.
Muffet is giving the "public" reasons for her anger, but often people hide their private reasons or don't even fully understand themselves why they're angry. I was shocked when Geno sent that message, because it was obvious to me (at least) that he was reminding Muffet that she hadn't won her only NC against a full complement of UConn players.

Reaction Score
“What evil lies in the hearts of men?”

upload_2016-3-31_11-51-58.png

Was there a plan between Shaughnessy and Geno to provoke a distracting controversy?
Was Muffet spewing accumulated frustration at the Huskies or at Kim's superior fashion style?
Did Geno offer a seat to Natalie only to pull it out from under her exacerbating her injury?
When Breanna says she loves the pressure and came to UConn for it, is she lying?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The "fight" with Muffet was started by Muffet, and I think the comments about men's basketball came after the season. Not everything that happens is due to the puppet master as Kara Lawson called him. It's just that we hear about every little thing because of the amount of attention the program receives from the media.

As usual, the media hounds are all looking for a "scoop" or an exclusive during the final four weekend. They all love Geno. They know he shoots from the hip. He always tells it like it is. Geno is not one for using hyperbole or "coach speak". He will call a spade a spade. He calls them as he sees them. Being politically correct is not always his way. He measures his words, and thinks before he speaks, but will tell it like it is.

He's a news hound's dream. He's a side story waiting to happen. He already knows most of the questions the hounds are going to ask BEFORE they're asked. Geno is very calculating. He knows exactly what he's doing.
That's our Geno. Ya gotta love him.

For the other three coaches in the ring this year, it's their first rodeo. Everything that happens this weekend will be new to them. The same can be said for their players. None of them have been on a stage of this magnitude and grandeur before. Except for Lou and Napheesa, the rest of the team have all been here before. They know what to expect, and what its going to take to hoist the trophy, and cut down the nets.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Have you noticed most final four years when UConn is in the mix that Geno will take the pressure off of his players by being in the center of a media maelstrom? This year it is the Dan Shaughnessy tweet. Previous years have been 'fights' with Muffet and Pat, calling Men's Hoops a Joke, and on and on. Coincidence? Maybe....Geno is a smart guy and a wise leader.
Keen take on a keen mind. The type of mind that can coach at this level for another ten years.

Reaction Score
As usual, the media hounds are all looking for a "scoop" or an exclusive during the final four weekend. They all love Geno. They know he shoots from the hip. He always tells it like it is. Geno is not one for using hyperbole or "coach speak". He will call a spade a spade. He calls them as he sees them. Being politically correct is not always his way. He measures his words, and thinks before he speaks, but will tell it like it is.

He's a news hound's dream. He's a side story waiting to happen. He already knows most of the questions the hounds are going to ask BEFORE they're asked. Geno is very calculating. He knows exactly what he's doing.
That's our Geno. Ya gotta love him.

For the other three coaches in the ring this year, it's their first rodeo. Everything that happens this weekend will be new to them. The same can be said for their players. None of them have been on a stage of this magnitude and grandeur before. Except for Lou and Napheesa, the rest of the team have all been here before. They know what to expect, and what its going to take to hoist the trophy, and cut down the nets.
That sounds like another guy in the political arena.

Reaction Score
"I always thought Muffet was a little forced and that she was doing the same thing to help relieve pressure on their own undefeated season - she never really looked comfortable with it."

Spot on!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In about 2010, Geno raised and squashed the idea about Stanford players being soft. Given their history of underachieving in the NCAA tourney for a decade or so, I had wondered if they were, in fact, soft. I thought Geno might have created a situation to take the pressure off his team.

Reaction Score

And she took the bait like a trout!!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits