Geno indepth reaction to Muffet McGraw's retirement

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Very indepth article about Geno and Muffet's rivalry. Great respect on both sides

Oh, and he is very high on Ivey

First, thanks for posting.
Lot of respect there. These two quotes struck me:

About Muffet:

“There’s really a tremendous void in the coaching profession," Auriemma said. “These last number of years, women’s basketball being on the national stage and the Final Four being the biggest stage, Muffet McGraw and Notre Dame have been a huge, huge, huge part of that.”

About Niele:

“I just love Niele. I love everything about her,” Auriemma said. "I love how passionate she is. I love her intensity level and her coaching style and watching her on sideline and seeing her during the summer at recruiting. She’s great to be around.

“If they kick our [butt] the next three years," he added with a chuckle, "I might not say this.”

Look forward -- knock on wood -- to the first Geno-Niele match-up! Play on!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When you think about it, what would yo expect Geno to say on the record about either of them. However, his remarks about Niele simply corroborate what we have heard for quite a while about her.

Reaction Score
When you think about it, what would yo expect Geno to say on the record about either of them. However, his remarks about Niele simply corroborate what we have heard for quite a while about her.
and his comments about McGraw simply corroborate what we have known about her for years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

What he actually says is maybe what you would expect. He talks about Muffet the coach and Niele the coach and the person.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What he actually says is maybe what you would expect. He talks about Muffet the coach and Niele the coach and person.
Good point @UConnCat . In her extended retirement Q & A she indicated Geno had not reached out to her AND she wouldn't expect it. He say he did and maybe it is a timing issue, but that is hardly the point. She stayed true to form with a gratuitous dig.

Reaction Score
Very indepth article about Geno and Muffet's rivalry. Great respect on both sides

Oh, and he is very high on Ivey

Not in-depth... only last 10 years. What’s our record against them? 38-13?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Good point @UConnCat . In her extended retirement Q & A she indicated Geno had not reached out to her AND she wouldn't expect it. He say he did and maybe it is a timing issue, but that is hardly the point. She stayed true to form with a gratuitous dig.

I just watched it back. When asked if she had heard from Geno her answer was that she had a lot of unread text messages and "I'm sure he's one of them".

Even though she was chuckling as she said this, I don't know that I would qualify that as a "gratuitous dig".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just watched it back. When asked if she had heard from Geno her answer was that she had a lot of unread text messages and "I'm sure he's one of them".

Even though she was chuckling as she said this, I don't know that I would qualify that as a "gratuitous dig".

I guess I need a hearing exam. I thought there was a not in there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both sides? Not seeing it on the other side.

Actually, based on your comment, I reread the article and I guess I read stuff into MM that was not really there. I agree, Geno was very much more magnanimous than MM was.

The quote coming closest to respect on MM's part was

“I love that rivalry,” McGraw said in her virtual retirement press conference. “I think it was great for women’s basketball. When we came into the Big East years ago, Connecticut was the measuring stick, and now to be a team that people know we’re going to give them a great game, it’s going to be a terrific, hard-fought battle, there’s going to be a lot of intensity — I loved all those moments.

But then, she reverses. :rolleyes:

It was fun watching them recently on ESPN to see all those great wins that we had.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Actually, based on your comment, I reread the article and I guess I read stuff into MM that was not really there. I agree, Geno was very much more magnanimous than MM was.

Always.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But then, she reverses. :rolleyes:

It was fun watching them recently on ESPN to see all those great wins that we had.”
After which she tweeted about watching "The IRISH" beat "uconn".

Magnanimous isn't what she is or what she's capable of.

Geno has five and a half times the number of big trophies ... and millions of times the magnanimity.

Reaction Score
She served her purpose ..fodder for the boneyard...and a voodoo doll for all of us to stick pins in..:eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom