Geno in good company.... | The Boneyard

Geno in good company....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
...it's amazing how many of these are coaches.

LINK

Also, HA, Nevada. Seriously?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting list - nice that he is the only women's coach.
But the rest of the article leaves me cold. This complaining really bothers me -
1. Do I think coaches are overpaid - probably, like actors, pro athletes, and other entertainment professionals.
2. Do I think some of the money donated to athletics might go to academics if the athletic department wasn't there, yes. But I also think a lot of donations come in to the academic side based on athletic publicity too. Just ask universities how their donations fluctuate based on their high profile sports perform.
3. College athletes get free tuition room and board, free coaching, free training, free facilities, free insurance, free academic assistance. Probably works out to $50K per athlete at a minimum - so 80 scholarships for football = $4M in benefits - add in the other athletes (total 305 athletic scholarships out of 650 total) and you get to $15M - not exactly chump change for these exploited men and women.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the NJ is Vivian. It absolutely wasn't Rice, and I don't think Jordan was hired at more than CVS, but I could be wrong.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This story says that Jordan's salary will be $6.25 over 5 years which will make him "New Jersey's highest paid public employee."

http://www.app.com/article/20130423...introduced-new-men-s-basketball-coach-Rutgers
That's revolting. Can you tell I don't follow the men's side?

One can only hope that, like CVS's, much of it is outside funded. I happen to agree with the premise that coaches' salaries are out of hand. I don't disagree with Miami's comment about donations, but I will be happier about coaches' salaries in general when more athletic departments are even relatively self sustaining.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That's revolting. Can you tell I don't follow the men's side?

One can only hope that, like CVS's, much of it is outside funded. I happen to agree with the premise that coaches' salaries are out of hand. I don't disagree with Miami's comment about donations, but I will be happier about coaches' salaries in general when more athletic departments are even relatively self sustaining.

Rutgers will be handed some big checks once it's in the B1G. Each B1G school is expected to receive $25.7 million from the conference this year. On top of that, each school will receive $7.6 million from the B1G Network and $10.9 million from the conference's deal with ESPN/ABC.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Very surprised to see that in the state of Florida, the highest paid is a basketball coach.

Must be Billy Donovan. Yes, he has won multiple NCs but in the deep south with three big-time football programs, I would have been betting heavily on one football coach or another; UF, FSU, Miami (not that Miami has made much noise lately). Billy must have a big contract!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Very surprised to see that in the state of Florida, the highest paid is a basketball coach.

Must be Billy Donovan. Yes, he has won multiple NCs but in the deep south with three big-time football programs, I would have been betting heavily on one football coach or another; UF, FSU, Miami (not that Miami has made much noise lately). Billy must have a big contract!!

True, but all 3 schools have relatively new and unproven head coaches for football. In fact, I had to use google to be reminded of their names (Muschamp, Fisher and Golden).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Miami is also a private school. But yes, Will Muschamp is a first-time HC, as was Jimbo Fisher (who was HCIW under Bobby Bowden).

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
3. College athletes get free tuition room and board, free coaching, free training, free facilities, free insurance, free academic assistance. Probably works out to $50K per athlete at a minimum - so 80 scholarships for football = $4M in benefits - add in the other athletes (total 305 athletic scholarships out of 650 total) and you get to $15M - not exactly chump change for these exploited men and women.

Eh, not really with the insurance. For example, remember the Louisville men's player who shattered his leg? The school was not responsible for paying for that surgery.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The people in NH must be just shaking their heads and saying, "Everybody else has got it all wrong. At least we have our values in the right place."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Eh, not really with the insurance. For example, remember the Louisville men's player who shattered his leg? The school was not responsible for paying for that surgery.

I believe that's inaccurate. Isn't it correct that every student must have some form of health insurance? So, I believe the issue is long term health issues from an injury. If an English major fell down the stairs while reaching for a tome, would the world be upset that the school only covered part of the costs?

Personally, anytime we start discussing the exploited athlete and that they should be paid, i want to make sure we understand we're speaking about men's basketball, football. So, how about starting off with something like this:

Break football/basketball off -- of course, you're going to have to figure out how to id WHICH programs should break off -- and set up an independent company. Lawyers need to jump in on the logistics, but something like a company "in residence" at a University." Miami Football Inc.

They are not student-athletes, they are just athletes. They must audition to be part of the pool of employees. They can range in age from whatever to whatever.
If they are accepted, they get a salary.
Their job is evaluated every year (contracts are only one year long -- or, they're 2 years, with significant penalties if they break'em. Like the phone contract.) they can go on forever, just like minor league contracts.
Housing and food and insurance may be offered perks, but athletes must opt in, sorta like a health club with perks.
Hours are 9-5, except on game day.
Athletes pay taxes.
Obviously there's no union, 'cause unions are bad for business.
Salaries of all involved are paid from revenues, media contracts, and non-tax deductible donations ('cause they're a for-profit institution).
The university gets no revenue from this entity, unless we can figure out how... And, unless these athletes decide to take advantage of the nearby university. Then, they have to apply, pay admission, and negotiate time off of work to attend classes.

What other possibilities

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ThisJustIn - I am liking this plan! Of course you have a problem down the road when the 'Business' gets a better offer from another state/city - I can see the Alabama football business being bought out by say Washington state and transferred across country in the dead of night.*
Another advantage to this plan is that seeing as you are paying the athletes you can have them sign four year contracts with multi-million dollar penalties for leaving early and non-compete clauses banning them from working for a competing program for 5 years (extorting big buy-outs from the cash rich NFL!) By the time these business are set up, it will be a big surprise when the best and brightest athletes end up going back to playing for colleges that don't pay them, but give all sorts of other benefits and a lot more freedom!

* this actually happened in the dance world to Connecticut College - they had a summer dance program called the American Dance Festival - after a number of years of great success and high acclaim, it was decided that the festival could do better fund raising as a separate entity from the school, so they incorporated. And a few years later Duke University offered a much better deal and CC was left with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom