Geno held back with class. | The Boneyard

Geno held back with class.

Reaction Score
Uconn single-game team records:

Highest: 126 agt Providence Jan 6,1998 lowest Opp. Points 20 agt Quiinipiac Dec 27,1998

124 agt Wichita Feb 10, 2018 22 agt Loyola (MD) Dec. 9,1995

118 agt St John Feb 23,2001 23 agt Brown Dec. 13, 1978

A few weeks ago Geno mentioned he was not please when a sub shot a 3 at end of a game while the bench players were cheering her on to go for it.

Now compare this to Baylor and Maryland just to mentioned the 2 worst teams in running score while playing their yearly cupcakes.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Uconn single-game team records:

Highest: 126 agt Providence Jan 6,1998 lowest Opp. Points 20 agt Quiinipiac Dec 27,1998

124 agt Wichita Feb 10, 2018 22 agt Loyola (MD) Dec. 9,1995

118 agt St John Feb 23,2001 23 agt Brown Dec. 13, 1978

A few weeks ago Geno mentioned he was not please when a sub shot a 3 at end of a game while the bench players were cheering her on to go for it.

Now compare this to Baylor and Maryland just to mentioned the 2 worst teams in running score while playing their yearly cupcakes.
I do not understand what he was displeased with there. The fact that she shot or that the kids cheered? They cannot allow the shot clock to expire without shooting, so maybe that she took a three? I do not know.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I do not understand what he was displeased with there. The fact that she shot or that the kids cheered? They cannot allow the shot clock to expire without shooting, so maybe that she took a three? I do not know.

Probably BOTH. He was probably displeased that the bench was prisoners of the moment, imploring her to take the shot.
We've seen Geno on many occasions hold up a hand to the player with the ball as the clock is running out to hold the ball. Geno's team did what he wanted them to do. No need to add an exclamation point.

Geno does not want to embarrass or cheap shot their opponent by taking a last shot when they're already up by 25 points because they can. It's similar to stealing a base in baseball when you're up BIG late in the game. Although former Dodger manager Tommy Lasorda had an answer for anyone that questioned his decision to continue to keep trying to score until the game was over.

He said (paraphrasing) "If the other manager tells me he's going to stop trying to score runs and stage a come back to win the game, then I'll stop trying to increase the lead. Until that happens, I can't assume anything. So I'm going to try and add to our lead to secure the win". Lasorda wasn't going to get caught between a rock and a hard place trying be a nice guy.

It's almost impossible to stage a comeback win in basketball if you're down more than 5-6 possessions and the clock is running down below 15 seconds. If you haven't made any headway in the first 39 min 45 sec, what are you going to do the last 15 secs? :confused:

Reaction Score
Geno was refering to a three that Molly hit with less than 10 seconds left in a game. Tradionally UCONN runs the clock out in those situations.

Reaction Score

He was upset that Bent shot at all. There was 10 seconds left on the game clock and 9 seconds left on the shot clock. Bent could have dribbled it out and I'm pretty sure the officials would have had a late whistle and the game would have been over. It's just an unwritten rule, that when you are up that many points, you do not take that shot.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do not understand what he was displeased with there. The fact that she shot or that the kids cheered? They cannot allow the shot clock to expire without shooting, so maybe that she took a three? I do not know.[/QUOTE.
UCONN certainly can and has let the shot clock expire without shooting the ball as in the 2013 FF game against ND with much smaller margin and much more at stake.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Two years ago at Memphis Geno pulled Ekmark from the game because she jacked up a three early in the shot clock with about a minute or so to go. At the time I thought was because she shot early instead of running offense and hence running clock. That it was a three per se didn't occur to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom