OT: Geno given secondary violation... | The Boneyard

OT: Geno given secondary violation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You would think it's a story from the Onion but then you realize it's the NCAA and UConn. The NCAA is going down in flames and they investigate this and make a ruling, it's amazing the lunacy from this group of idiots.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't wait to learn that it was BC or S'cuse that filed the complaint.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They confirmed that BS?
Does it have to have been filed by someone in our conference?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Ok. So Geno calls an eighth grader that pitches in the LLWS and dreams of playing point guard at Uconn. He gets a violation from NCAA. I get it.
But why is it ok for the same eighth grader to throw out a pitch for a MLB
franchise and then have an arranged meeting with Maya Moore and Britney Griner, two pro athletes . I'm confused?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With all the fish they have to fry, how is it not completely obvious that there is a conflict of interest in the NCAA corporate office?

I don't know what it is, but Mark Emmert has an ax to grind - Paul Bunyan-style.

Reaction Score
I don't know what specific rule was broken, but I really don't have a problem with the basic direction of the reprimand. The fact is, this young lady became a household name for a week or two, and it appears that she's an exceptional athlete. Geno calling her is absolutely going to be a positive influence in getting her to UConn. No doubt about it. College coaches should stay away from prospective, young recruits, as a general rule.

I know that's unpopular, but I'd rather see silliness like this him not being able to call than to have coaches calling 8th graders because they're not yet in HS.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The girl was playing little league baseball. This like Jim Calhoun watching Jeff play football at EO Smith and talking to one of his friends on the team about his weekend an congratulating him on his interception. It should have been a non-issue.
I don't know what specific rule was broken, but I really don't have a problem with the basic direction of the reprimand. The fact is, this young lady became a household name for a week or two, and it appears that she's an exceptional athlete. Geno calling her is absolutely going to be a positive influence in getting her to UConn. No doubt about it. College coaches should stay away from prospective, young recruits, as a general rule.

I know that's unpopular, but I'd rather see silliness like this him not being able to call than to have coaches calling 8th graders because they're not yet in HS.

Reaction Score
Horatio said:
Ok. So Geno calls an eighth grader that pitches in the LLWS and dreams of playing point guard at Uconn. He gets a violation from NCAA. I get it. But why is it ok for the same eighth grader to throw out a pitch for a MLB franchise and then have an arranged meeting with Maya Moore and Britney Griner, two pro athletes . I'm confused?

Problem is that you can't define the term "recruitable student-athlete" as someone in 9th grade or older and then claim a recruiting violation for someone who just finished seventh. There's sort of ambiguity in the rules where the specific rule says you can't call "anyone" until their junior year of high school, but in context they are talking about recruitable student-athletes, so a person would logic would conclude that's who "anyone" refers to.

Technically, the way the rule is written, if he calls a friend who has a baby, they can't let the baby coo into the phone. For example, if he's spoken to Rebecca Lobo's three daughters on the phone, he should probably self report the violation. If only to show that the wording is ridiculous.

Now, I guess someone could have a snit that if Davis really does turn into a stud point guard, and then he's gained an advantage by calling her. But that's really lame. Plus, Geno could be retired by then.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The girl was playing little league baseball. This like Jim Calhoun watching Jeff play football at EO Smith and talking to one of his friends on the team about his weekend an congratulating him on his interception. It should have been a non-issue.
Not really. In some of her interviews she said she wants to play PG for UConn. Having the coach call her to congratulate her isn't like JC calling someone to say great interception. Gino should really know better (and probably does and doesn't care. He made his point and got a minor reprimand). If Coach K or the Squid called a little league pitcher who said he wanted to play PG for Duke or UK, many of you would be apoplectic.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not really. In some of her interviews she said she wants to play PG for UConn. Having the coach call her to congratulate her isn't like JC calling someone to say great interception. Gino should really know better (and probably does and doesn't care. He made his point and got a minor reprimand). If Coach K or the Squid called a little league pitcher who said he wanted to play PG for Duke or UK, many of you would be apoplectic.

That's assuming that Jeff's 5'-5" cornerback friend did I not express interest in playing center at UConn in my hypothetical. ;)

There is no film on a 7th grader and if there is, Coach A most probably hasn't seen it. Inacuous in my opinion.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...says-geno-auriemma-call-mone-davis-broke-rule

Manuel said Auriemma checked with the school's compliance department before getting on the phone and was told the 13-year-old would not be considered a prospective student athlete and the call was permissible.

So either the people in UConn's compliance department don't know the rules or the rules themselves are so convoluted that most people in the industry can't even decipher them. Smh

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Haven't there been middle school kids that have verbally committed to programs? How can that happen if they can't be contacted?

Reaction Score
Haven't there been middle school kids that have verbally committed to programs? How can that happen if they can't be contacted?
It isn't a violation for a recruit to call a coach at any time. It's the other way around that rules govern.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
HooperScooper said:
It isn't a violation for a recruit to call a coach at any time. It's the other way around that rules govern.

The grey area is the NCAA consistently refers to a recruit as someone who has begun ninth grade or older, which makes it easy for the compliance department to interpret Davis as not yet a recruit by the NCAAs standard. This particular clause of the rule, isolated out of contact, says you can't call anybody before junior year of HS, which would mean that, say, talking to Rebecca Lobo's four-year old daughter is a violation. Or a neighbor's kid. That's taken to an extreme, but you could argue so is a congratulatory phone call through a third party to a public figure.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...says-geno-auriemma-call-mone-davis-broke-rule

Manuel said Auriemma checked with the school's compliance department before getting on the phone and was told the 13-year-old would not be considered a prospective student athlete and the call was permissible.

So either the people in UConn's compliance department don't know the rules or the rules themselves are so convoluted that most people in the industry can't even decipher them. Smh

Must be a wibbly wobbly timely wimely thing.

Following is a quote from an Andy Katz blog. (Aug 7, 2013)
3. Angie Cretors was a creative hire by UConn athletic director Warde Manuel and one that will certainly help the continuing stabilization of the Huskies' athletic department. Cretors, named the school's Senior Associate Athletic Director, was respected by a number of Division I coaches while she was in NCAA enforcement. She had a presence at the Final Four and was not seen as intimidating at all, but rather a source of counsel for coaches to bounce things off of in dealing with compliance. Cretors built relationships which should bode well for her at UConn. Manuel's decision of hiring from the NCAA isn't new (Kentucky hired Rachel Newman Baker), but is yet another example of schools shoring up their own compliance departments and athletic department staff with people who know what the NCAA is looking for and how to handle any kind of issues which may arise. The continued attrition at the NCAA headquarters maybe weakening the home office but it's strengthening the membership.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
"The school said it's not sure whether the NCAA will impose any sanctions, but Manuel said he considers the matter to be closed."

No penalty - I think the call was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom