Geno Gets Bent! (And Apparently Molly Gets Him) | The Boneyard

Geno Gets Bent! (And Apparently Molly Gets Him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It was very conspicuous that Molly Bent was the second sub off the bench in the first half (and the first freshman to enter the game), and she was first off the bench in the second half. The box score said that Molly had 18 minutes of playing time and Saniya Chong had 24, but my impression watching the game was that Molly played more than Saniya.

Molly has a very sturdy, stocky build with hardly a trace of "soft tissue" -- think of Kiah Stokes' body at a height of about 5-10. She seems fast and quick enough to play on the perimeter, but she was used as both a guard and a small forward. I didn't see surpassing speed or great leaping ability, but she was not noticeably lacking in these areas either. It didn't look like it would be easy for most guards to get past her on a drive. Her most obvious asset (as we probably expected) was her intelligent team play within the offensive and defensive schemes. In that respect she is similar to Courtney Ekmark, but she is clearly a much better athlete that Courtney (faster, quicker, and harder to beat one-on-one).

She has been compared to Kelly Faris. She is stockier than Kelly and appears to have more strength (although I didn't see her battle for a rebound). I doubt if she can run as fast or jump as high as Kelly, however. Her mental game is very similar to Kelly's.

I'm sure the reason that Geno seemed to favor her in playing time is that she picked up the systems better than the other freshmen. (That is what I meant by "Molly gets him" in the thread title.) I get the impression from tonight's substitution patterns that (at least initially) the major minutes will be absorbed by the five starters plus Butler and Bent.

I saw good things from the other two freshman also. Kyla Irwin played 14 minutes and scored 12 points. As I recall, all of her baskets were in the paint. Against admittedly bad competition, she seemed to show an appetite for physical play under the boards -- she grabbed several that were contested. I see her as a shorter version of Stef Dolson, with a similar body type and similar limitations (such as foot speed). It will be interesting to see how she rebounds against better competition, but I thought she did better under the boards tonight than Natalie Butler.

Crystal Dangerfield only scored 2 points in 12 minutes (didn't enter the game until the last 2 minutes of the first half, then played the whole fourth quarter), but she showed a flair for assists. The box score credited her with three assists, but I thought she had more. Several of her assists had a Jeffersonian quality to them, showing court vision and a readiness to make a difficult pass. I can only assume that her minutes were limited because she was not picking things up in practice as quickly as Molly and Kyla -- or maybe Geno just wanted to make the point that her minutes would be determined by her play in practice and not by her high school resume.

Regarding the familiar faces, I noticed these things in particular:

• Although Lou may be the nucleus of the offense, Gabby will get the most notice, because she is a running, leaping, thieving highlight reel. Coaches may appreciate KLS, but fans will notice Gabby.
  • Despite having Lou and Napheesa in the starting lineup, Gabby handled the opening tip, and won it to Lou for a layup with an "and-1".
  • Gabby is 100% a guard a defense, and a very effective one. On offense, she plays more of a wing position, but she guards the ball (and often steals it) on defense.
  • Kia is developing a real consistency in her entire game, including her 3-point shooting. She will be a calming influence in pressure situations, which makes sense considering her Olympic and National Team experience.
  • I think Saniya is on a short leash. I think Geno is giving her a chance because as a senior she has earned that, but if someone like Molly or Kyla can play with more consistency and better defense, Saniya will be back on the bench.
  • I agree with those who say that Crystal may be a starter later in the season (the athleticism is certainly there), but it will definitely be LATER in the season if it happens at all.
  • Natalie Butler (I think) can be effective against a big but relatively immobile post such as Baylor and South Carolina have on their rosters, but she is never going to be a focus of the offense in the way that Stef or Morgan were. Kyla is more likely to fill that role.
  • KLS scored 24 points on 10-19 shooting, despite having a hard time from 3-point range (2-for-7). It just shows that she is learning to be a big contributor even when her main battle weapon is jammed up. There is nothing to worry about concerning her contribution this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice post but I think you undersell Chong's game tonight - she was really solid 5-6/1-2 on offense with 2 assists (one a dazzling play) and 2 steals with zero TOs. I thought both she and Kia did really well running the team and getting the ball to the scorers - taking their own shots only when indicated by the flow of the game.

Bent was fine as well - she actually reminds me of a more talented Lawlor - same build same aggressive defensive stance same 'getting it' in terms of offense and defensive plan. Not sure why Dangerfield was last in, but to me she is clearly the best of the freshman from a talent and potential standpoint. Minor doghouse visit I assume. Irwin is what I expected - I actually think she is more athletic than Stef was as a freshman, just a lot smaller, and I think she has a wider range of skills than freshman Stef but will be less effective because she is shorter.

I could see all three of the freshman getting some minutes over the OOC even against the heavyweights on the schedule.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Nice post but I think you undersell Chong's game tonight - she was really solid 5-6/1-2 on offense with 2 assists (one a dazzling play) and 2 steals with zero TOs. I thought both she and Kia did really well running the team and getting the ball to the scorers - taking their own shots only when indicated by the flow of the game.

Bent was fine as well - she actually reminds me of a more talented Lawlor - same build same aggressive defensive stance same 'getting it' in terms of offense and defensive plan. Not sure why Dangerfield was last in, but to me she is clearly the best of the freshman from a talent and potential standpoint. Minor doghouse visit I assume. Irwin is what I expected - I actually think she is more athletic than Stef was as a freshman, just a lot smaller, and I think she has a wider range of skills than freshman Stef but will be less effective because she is shorter.

I could see all three of the freshman getting some minutes over the OOC even against the heavyweights on the schedule.
wow... thanks for posting Chong's numbers, I didnt watch the game or read the boxscore... this is the 1st thread I read about tonight's game and I felt that it was going to be a long season for Chong BUT you clearly cleared that up for me, thank you very much!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that Saniya showed her offensive talents nicely tonight.

All 3 freshmen looked as if they can play. They are not at the level of the Core 4, but they know what they are doing.

Gabby simply took over the game. I like Joe's wording: She is a "running, leaping, thieving highlight reel."

Reaction Score
There is a roadmap this year to beat us if a team has ball handlers and some size. After sitting in the 4th row under a basket last night and seeing our dependence on scoring in the paint I could easily see teams clogging the lane and shadowing Katie Lou with a box and 1. Players not named Katie Lou took very few shots longer than 8 ft last night, either by design, or because of the competition.

We have a lot of 5'10 to 6'1 mobile, high IQ players, who move the ball and find the open player on offense, and have quick aggressive hands on defense, and out quick big opponents to rebounds. Any team without excellent ball handling guards is going to get killed by our pressure defense. The half court and transition defense leads to run outs where we excel. I expect that is how Geno will try to win big games. All our players can make a shot, but I think only Katie Lou has both the attitude and ability to be a prolific deep shooter (5-10 3pt attempts in a game), and that takes our tallest starter away from the basket. My guess is that our other proven 3 pt shooters, Chong and Kia Nurse are apt to shoot 3-4 3pt attempts per game. That means a whole lot of our high scoring in big games needs to come from activity in the paint from Collier and Gabby et al. or in transition like last night. No problem scoring low against most teams based on Gabby's quickness, unless she and our 6' forwards have to go against 6'3 forwards with quickness backed up by a 6'6 shot blocker, and the defenders are camping in the paint, (the type of situation you face against several of the top 10-15 teams). More power to Chong and Nurse if they are left open to take shot after shot and make other teams pay for that strategy the way Jefferson did. But, I'll be surprised if that box and 1 strategy isn't employed by teams that have the right personnel.

(I'm not forgetting about Butler who I am high on, I just think there will be long stretches in games that we will be missing her due to fouls, and the fact that she isn't starting I see as instructive as to how Geno intends to play)

In spite of the 111 pts last night, I think our full court defense is our strong suit, and the freshman all entered the game and played seamlessly with our team core. Molly Bent is Kelly Faris, Irwin has skills and is athletic enough, (I had imagined a Morgan Valley type athlete/player and so I was pleased on the upside), Dangerfield's assists were excellent and there were 1-2 failed assists where the passes were sharp.

I don't know our foul shooting percent but we missed 4 of our first 5 from multiple players, and then Dangerfield went to the line scoreless with 30 sec left in the game and missed 2 then made 2.

Reaction Score
It seems to me like Molly has figured out how she is going to earn her minutes...DEFENSE. She seems to be light years ahead of most freshman when it comes to that side of the floor. If she can continue to show Geno in practice that she can defend UConn-level talent I can see her earning significant time.

On the offensive end she probably knows there is a lot of potentially prolific scorers around her so she should play her role and move the ball on offense within the system.

Reaction Score
It seems to me like Molly has figured out how she is going to earn her minutes...DEFENSE. She seems to be light years ahead of most freshman when it comes to that side of the floor. If she can continue to show Geno in practice that she can defend UConn-level talent I can see her earning significant time.

On the offensive end she probably knows there is a lot of potentially prolific scorers around her so she should play her role and move the ball on offense within the system.
IMO, by tournament time Bent will be a rock for this team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ricker - nice post. I think there is enough perimeter potential on this team that teams will have a hard time packing it in. Gabby showed confidence and competence from 18 feet in last year and I have hopes for Kia, Collier, Molly, Kyla, and Crystal being dangerous enough. I think the prolific scoring inside last night was a product of the opponent, and that in practice and games against better opponents there will be more outside shots attempted and made.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Early after her entry into the game Kyla drifted to the corner. She didn't get the pass, but that move told me Geno will let her have one of her favorite shots - usually a 3. I was happy to hear Geno on Molly's physical strength. I did not have that impression from the limited/poor video of her HS games. Very encouraging signs all around last night.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was very conspicuous that Molly Bent was the second sub off the bench in the first half (and the first freshman to enter the game), and she was first off the bench in the second half. The box score said that Molly had 18 minutes of playing time and Saniya Chong had 24, but my impression watching the game was that Molly played more than Saniya.

Molly has a very sturdy, stocky build with hardly a trace of "soft tissue" -- think of Kiah Stokes' body at a height of about 5-10. She seems fast and quick enough to play on the perimeter, but she was used as both a guard and a small forward. I didn't see surpassing speed or great leaping ability, but she was not noticeably lacking in these areas either. It didn't look like it would be easy for most guards to get past her on a drive. Her most obvious asset (as we probably expected) was her intelligent team play within the offensive and defensive schemes. In that respect she is similar to Courtney Ekmark, but she is clearly a much better athlete that Courtney (faster, quicker, and harder to beat one-on-one).

She has been compared to Kelly Faris. She is stockier than Kelly and appears to have more strength (although I didn't see her battle for a rebound). I doubt if she can run as fast or jump as high as Kelly, however. Her mental game is very similar to Kelly's.

I'm sure the reason that Geno seemed to favor her in playing time is that she picked up the systems better than the other freshmen. (That is what I meant by "Molly gets him" in the thread title.) I get the impression from tonight's substitution patterns that (at least initially) the major minutes will be absorbed by the five starters plus Butler and Bent.

I saw good things from the other two freshman also. Kyla Irwin played 14 minutes and scored 12 points. As I recall, all of her baskets were in the paint. Against admittedly bad competition, she seemed to show an appetite for physical play under the boards -- she grabbed several that were contested. I see her as a shorter version of Stef Dolson, with a similar body type and similar limitations (such as foot speed). It will be interesting to see how she rebounds against better competition, but I thought she did better under the boards tonight than Natalie Butler.

Crystal Dangerfield only scored 2 points in 12 minutes (didn't enter the game until the last 2 minutes of the first half, then played the whole fourth quarter), but she showed a flair for assists. The box score credited her with three assists, but I thought she had more. Several of her assists had a Jeffersonian quality to them, showing court vision and a readiness to make a difficult pass. I can only assume that her minutes were limited because she was not picking things up in practice as quickly as Molly and Kyla -- or maybe Geno just wanted to make the point that her minutes would be determined by her play in practice and not by her high school resume.

Regarding the familiar faces, I noticed these things in particular:

• Although Lou may be the nucleus of the offense, Gabby will get the most notice, because she is a running, leaping, thieving highlight reel. Coaches may appreciate KLS, but fans will notice Gabby.
  • Despite having Lou and Napheesa in the starting lineup, Gabby handled the opening tip, and won it to Lou for a layup with an "and-1".
  • Gabby is 100% a guard a defense, and a very effective one. On offense, she plays more of a wing position, but she guards the ball (and often steals it) on defense.
  • Kia is developing a real consistency in her entire game, including her 3-point shooting. She will be a calming influence in pressure situations, which makes sense considering her Olympic and National Team experience.
  • I think Saniya is on a short leash. I think Geno is giving her a chance because as a senior she has earned that, but if someone like Molly or Kyla can play with more consistency and better defense, Saniya will be back on the bench.
  • I agree with those who say that Crystal may be a starter later in the season (the athleticism is certainly there), but it will definitely be LATER in the season if it happens at all.
  • Natalie Butler (I think) can be effective against a big but relatively immobile post such as Baylor and South Carolina have on their rosters, but she is never going to be a focus of the offense in the way that Stef or Morgan were. Kyla is more likely to fill that role.
  • KLS scored 24 points on 10-19 shooting, despite having a hard time from 3-point range (2-for-7). It just shows that she is learning to be a big contributor even when her main battle weapon is jammed up. There is nothing to worry about concerning her contribution this year.
Concise and all inclusive post. Best about the game. You're one of the reasons I love this site.

Reaction Score
The compliments to Molly...comparing her to Ekmark and Lawlor...leave me flat. She has to be much better than either of them or we are doomed. I am sure she is. Who ever saw anything, at this level, in either Lawlor or Ekmark? Based upon last year, I also see little future for Butler. She may be okay against non competitive teams like Indiana of Pa. Or many of the teams in Uconn's league ( ugh). But she will be lit up against quality players on quality teams. Unless, of course, she has somehow metamorphasized over the summer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly her defense is what caught ?Shea's? eye at the tournament where they first saw her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The compliments to Molly...comparing her to Ekmark and Lawlor...leave me flat. She has to be much better than either of them or we are doomed. I am sure she is. Who ever saw anything, at this level, in either Lawlor or Ekmark? Based upon last year, I also see little future for Butler. She may be okay against non competitive teams like Indiana of Pa. Or many of the teams in Uconn's league ( ugh). But she will be lit up against quality players on quality teams. Unless, of course, she has somehow metamorphasized over the summer.
I made the comparison to Lawlor as a physical specimen and because the thing that has always stood out to me with Lawlor is that she is intensely focused on being in the right place at the right time and knowing what is supposed to be happening in Geno's systems. Lawlor does not have the requisite D1 skill set to get major minutes, but it is not for lack of effort. And I clearly stated that I was not comparing the skill set (as did the person who compared her to Ekmark.)

As for Butler, I hope you are wrong because she is the only player with the size/strength on the team to deal with the kind of centers Baylor will bring to the court this month

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Irwin hit a 3 at first night and it looked good. She will contribute.

The Butler doubters are way off base. Can someone tell me what her numbers were at Georgetown as a freshman? She has already played well when given a chance. Last year she seemed to have a lack of confidence. I would have that lack of confidence going up against Tuck and Stewart. I think Geno will build her up because he needs her and she is smart enough to play the game he wants. The problem is she slows down the offense. Any opponent who has a big will have a problem because the big post will be a liability on defense unless they pack in a zone. If Butler is in the game, we are conventional and Butler doesn't have the same skills as Dolson to run the offense through.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly her defense is what caught ?Shea's? eye at the tournament where they first saw her.

Nope. UConn Women's Insider: Introducing Molly Bent

"Coach Moseley was just walking by or waiting for another game to start on another court and something about my game caught her eye.

"I've been told since it might have been the way I like to use my body to get into the lane; to use what I had to get what I needed, so to speak. Or maybe it was the leadership I try to bring to my team.

"Coach [Moseley] watched about a half of my game and then had CD [Chris Dailey] come over. On the second day of the tournament, Coach [Shea] Ralph came over to watch, as well, and I think she saw three games, two on the second day. That was the day she brought Coach [Geno] Auriemma over. It was after the second day that Coach Ralph talked to my AAU coach and said they were interested in me and hoped they were interested, too."

Reaction Score

How Tall was Adams (who beat Griner) of A and M? She had a rugged body, not great speed, great shot, yet she was hard to contain. Is Kyla shorter than Adams??
The dog house can be good--but not if it used to say you are living on your HS resume--she got to uconn because of that Resume--apparently she is working, maybe not hard enough. Also--Geno has a short list of who shall be his point--with Uconn that is more than floor general--it is a baby Geno position--think like Geno, Act like geno, defend like geno (or as Geno would do if he could).

Thanks everyone for the synopsis of the game--can't hear it and my wifi stinks on videos--so i gametracker and then lurk on you smart guys..

Reaction Score
Ricker - nice post. I think there is enough perimeter potential on this team that teams will have a hard time packing it in. Gabby showed confidence and competence from 18 feet in last year and I have hopes for Kia, Collier, Molly, Kyla, and Crystal being dangerous enough. I think the prolific scoring inside last night was a product of the opponent, and that in practice and games against better opponents there will be more outside shots attempted and made.

I'd say if opponents want to pack it in and tempt Geno to shoot his way out---good luck.
All shots against a zone are not 3's. Butler,Gabby, Katie LOU, Kia and maybe Molly and Napheesa ave good to better to even better top of the Key shots. Butlers , last year, was deadly and I've never seen a sweeter shot than Katie lou shooting the jumper from there.
As of the 3 shots----Kia, Katie Lou were pretty deadly--Gabby and Napheesa supposedly has good 3's
and as the season grows--so shall the quality of the 3.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How Tall was Adams (who beat Griner) of A and M? She had a rugged body, not great speed, great shot, yet she was hard to contain. Is Kyla shorter than Adams??
The dog house can be good--but not if it used to say you are living on your HS resume--she got to uconn because of that Resume--apparently she is working, maybe not hard enough. Also--Geno has a short list of who shall be his point--with Uconn that is more than floor general--it is a baby Geno position--think like Geno, Act like geno, defend like geno (or as Geno would do if he could).

Thanks everyone for the synopsis of the game--can't hear it and my wifi stinks on videos--so i gametracker and then lurk on you smart guys..
About the same size as Morgan - it isn't necessarily height (Ask Wilt about Russell :)), but strength and bulk that make a good post defender. Problem is that Gabby and Lou are definitely not in the strong/bulky range, and Collier who might develop her low post defense isn't currently either. Tuck was one of the better HS defenders Stewart ever faced, and proved herself very capable of working against the SC bigs specifically, but all comers through her four years.

Reaction Score
About the same size as Morgan - it isn't necessarily height (Ask Wilt about Russell :)), but strength and bulk that make a good post defender. Problem is that Gabby and Lou are definitely not in the strong/bulky range, and Collier who might develop her low post defense isn't currently either. Tuck was one of the better HS defenders Stewart ever faced, and proved herself very capable of working against the SC bigs specifically, but all comers through her four years.

I though Kyla was in the ADAM's size, maybe a little less bulk--but that too shall come. Adams was not Adams until her 3rd year--few are--so it's possible that Geno will use Kyla like Tuck.
I'm a believer in what Geno has said---(paraphrasing) you can't play with those you don't have. So for better or even better (lets take the positive approach) uconn will be meeting Baylor, ND, Md, Usc--minimally--who are "bigger" in the post. Geno maybe ready for USC or ND to allow for acclimation of the less than Core players--does he just accede those other games? (I'm a bit frustrated--I know the answer--I had great hopes for Butler--) who will step up Beyond Katie Lou, Kia , Gabby???? But it is still early (he said laughingly--as he exited stage right)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I though Kyla was in the ADAM's size, maybe a little less bulk--but that too shall come. Adams was not Adams until her 3rd year--few are--so it's possible that Geno will use Kyla like Tuck.
I'm a believer in what Geno has said---(paraphrasing) you can't play with those you don't have. So for better or even better (lets take the positive approach) uconn will be meeting Baylor, ND, Md, Usc--minimally--who are "bigger" in the post. Geno maybe ready for USC or ND to allow for acclimation of the less than Core players--does he just accede those other games? (I'm a bit frustrated--I know the answer--I had great hopes for Butler--) who will step up Beyond Katie Lou, Kia , Gabby???? But it is still early (he said laughingly--as he exited stage right)
Adams was a transfer into A&M from JC (where she was a JC AA both years) which is why she sort of exploded onto the D1 scene as a junior. She was listed as 6'1" and somewhere north of 230 lbs. so a little bigger than Irwin, but I agree, I hope Kyla can develop some skill in post defense for the team this year.

Reaction Score
Adams was a transfer into A&M from JC (where she was a JC AA both years) which is why she sort of exploded onto the D1 scene as a junior. She was listed as 6'1" and somewhere north of 230 lbs. so a little bigger than Irwin, but I agree, I hope Kyla can develop some skill in post defense for the team this year.

MD's Jones is a very close to Adams size function. She was successful because her bulk and physical strength allowed her to push around Post much taller than herself. Since the only REAL height is Katie Lou--we need either Butler or Kyla to be effective.
Thanks for the info on Adams--I don't think I ever really knew she transferred in to A&M. Blair--it was nice to see him successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom