Geno for Coach of the Year? | The Boneyard

Geno for Coach of the Year?

Reaction Score
Not yet, depends on how they do in the tournament. Certainly, if they win #12, it should be no contest; might still win it if they just make it to #14 consecutive FF. However, at the moment, there are other teams which also had problems to contend with during this season, e.g. Tenn, others. However, while admitting bias, none has had a more difficult time than UConn.

Don Amore has a good piece on what the Coach had to do:

[Sorry, don't know how to find the version without the paywall but you might be able to manage if you delete the Courant cookies - not recommended, but in desperation, it is a way to read it]

Reaction Score
Not yet, depends on how they do in the tournament. Certainly, if they win #12, it should be no contest; might still win it if they just make it to #14 consecutive FF. However, at the moment, there are other teams which also had problems to contend with during this season, e.g. Tenn, others. However, while admitting bias, none has had a more difficult time than UConn.

[Sorry, don't know how to find the version without the paywall but you might be able to manage if you delete the Courant cookies - not recommended, but in desperation, it is a way to read it]
I should make clear: I think he is Coach of the Year now for what he has done in transforming the team through all the problems they went through but that would not be enough for the voters at this point. Go far, UConn!

Reaction Score
Not yet, depends on how they do in the tournament. Certainly, if they win #12, it should be no contest; .

Coach of the year awards are based n the regular season. Even if they are not announced until the final 4, they are voted on before the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Then that is before the Big East tournament? Good then....I hope he doesn't get deprived...the work he did has been marvelous....with the help from the ladies, of course, to work hard at it.

Reaction Score
Then that is before the Big East tournament? Good then....I hope he doesn't get deprived...the work he did has been marvelous....with the help from the ladies, of course, to work hard at it.
He’s not going to win national coach of the year. Mulkey or kellie Rae Finley I think.

Big East maybe tho I’d probably vote for Creighton.

Reaction Score
Mulkey didn't even win Sec hc of the year, it should be Dawn who wins it. She packed her schedule and delivered with an impressive 28-1 record.

Reaction Score
Voted in before the tournament?

This year, Dawn has defeated:
Geno
Tara
Kim
Brenda
Gary

That’s EVERY active coach who has won a national championship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Voted in before the tournament?

This year, Dawn has defeated:
Geno
Tara
Kim
Brenda
Gary

That’s EVERY active coach who has won a national championship.
True, but she also has a loaded team, which tends not to get the COY. She is an outstanding coach, no doubt.

I think the coaching at UConn has been outstanding. Having to adapt, to readapt and readapt again this year has been incredibly challenging. That said Geno will not get their coach of the year award.

Reaction Score
Mulkey didn't even win Sec hc of the year, it should be Dawn who wins it. She packed her schedule and delivered with an impressive 28-1 record.
take a look at their lineups........with that talent, if Dawn doesn't win the SEC and get to the NC finals it's a disappointment........... Mulkey has completely turned the LSU program around in her first year as coach with a far weaker team.........

Reaction Score
True, but she also has a loaded team, which tends not to get the COY. She is an outstanding coach, no doubt.

I think the coaching at UConn has been outstanding. Having to adapt, to readapt and readapt again this year has been incredibly challenging. That said Geno will not get their coach of the year award.
Agreed.........Geno has clearly done one of his best coaching jobs ever but it's hard to give him top honors when you look at the quality of the talent he had on the team even when they were at their most decimated.............however if UConn had defeated South Carolina, Louisville etc it might be a different story.......

CL82

Reaction Score
Agreed.........Geno has clearly done one of his best coaching jobs ever but it's hard to give him top honors when you look at the quality of the talent he had on the team even when they were at their most decimated..............if UConn had defeated South Carolina, Louisville etc it would be a different story.......

Maybe, but people like up-and-coming coaches for this award. Geno is an outstanding coach, but he’s been one for decades. He’s not a particularly “sexy“ pick.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I like Geno and I appreciate the fine job he has done holding this team together through injuries and disappointments. And Dawn Staley is a great coach who steered her already good team to a fine performance this year. But Kim Mulkey has worked basketball magic at LSU. I am sorely disappointed that the SEC did not recognize her as COY, but Dawn has a great record and considerable clout in the conference and is certainly not undeserving. Shea will have her day in the sun before too long, but not this year. I look forward to the tournament and to seeing which coach gets the real prize. Go Huskies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

“With all the uncontrollables, we didn’t know which way to go with our team,” he said. “Do we go easier? Lighter? Do we try to harden them and make them tougher so they can be resilient? Where are they? How much can they take? I didn’t get it right until way later in the season for me, not knowing who’s practicing, when we were playing, made me less than the coach that I wanted to be. It wasn’t until late in the season that I started to come to grips with this is how it’s going to be.”

CL82

Reaction Score
What about Shea?
Not enough success, but she’s doing a terrific job down there. With a few recruiting classes under her belt they should be pretty good.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
He’s not going to win national coach of the year. Mulkey or kellie Rae Finley I think.

Big East maybe tho I’d probably vote for Creighton.
Geno had the talent and the Big East cupcakes to weather the injury storm. I think Kim Mulkey should get very serious consideration for Coach of the Year. In her first year with a 9-13 team and not having 6 top five recruits she leads them to a 25-4 season and second place in the SEC behind the acknowledged #1 team, Univ. of South Carolina. LSU was 13-3 in the toughest WCB conference. In the SEC there are not many cupcakes like in the Big East. She did one heck of a coaching job. She doesn't get enough credit. LSU just before Kim and now with her.
1646339171144.png

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Not this year , but that's OK. He'd rather just have a NC

Reaction Score
Break UConn WBB long conference winning streak and you get voted the Big East COY. I also see the point of someone suggesting Creighton's coach being deserving.

Siegrist is Big East POY and Nika is DPOY.

Reaction Score
I don't know if he will (or should) be coach of the year, but it's demented that he wasn't in the top 15 on Naismith's final watchlist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom