'GENO ENVY' Syndrome | The Boneyard

'GENO ENVY' Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Over 100 years ago Sigmund Freud coined the term 'p...s envy' (you can Google it if you want...). It described a purported envy one sex felt toward the other.

Borrowing from Freud, I would like to officially coin the term GENO ENVY SYNDROME. I suggest that there are some unknown number of coaches, perhaps whole programs, that suffer from such. It, for example, could explain MM's behavior at the Final Four.

The gist of the diagnosis would be coaches that somewhere in their psyche (however repressed the thought is) know that they don't have the skills that Geno has and it drives them nuts. It leads to irrational behavior (MM) and stupid actions (complaining to the NCAA about a phone call that everybody knows was purely innocent).

I don't know that I will ever be able to get this diagnosis accepted by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) 0f the American Psychiatric Association, but I shall defend its existence. I think it could be compared to the syndrome referred to as the Napoleon Complex; its not an official diagnosis....but everybody knows its real.

PS: Yes, Alice, I am a shrink.

Reaction Score
Apparently the Boneyard blocks certain words, so I had to type p...s. If you don't know the concept- which is taught in psychology and psychiatry classes to this day as part of our field's history- the first missing letter is an 'e'. Your on your own from there.

Reaction Score
Sorry: The board is not letting me edit my original post, so I have to clarify something this way:

I want to emphasize that Geno Envy Syndrom is NOT a gender based thing. Both male and female coaches can suffer from it. It effects their mental health, behavior, judgement, etc.

Reaction Score
Apparently the Boneyard blocks certain words, so I had to type p...s. If you don't know the concept- which is taught in psychology and psychiatry classes to this day as part of our field's history- the first missing letter is an 'e'. Your on your own from there.
I had Prius envy for years until I purchased one.

Reaction Score
Sorry: The board is not letting me edit my original post, so I have to clarify something this way:

I want to emphasize that Geno Envy Syndrom is NOT a gender based thing. Both male and female coaches can suffer from it. It effects their mental health, behavior, judgement, etc.
Interesting...I was actually thinking that the real culprit may be the victim of both syndromes...would that rule out most male coaches...?

Reaction Score
I don't know that I will ever be able to get this diagnosis accepted by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) 0f the American Psychiatric Association, but I shall defend its existence. I think it could be compared to the syndrome referred to as the Napoleon Complex; its not an official diagnosis....but everybody knows its real.

Tell me please why you did not capitalize "shrink". Do you somehow think this profession is not worthy of capitalization? Undt who is this "Alice" of whom you speak?

Reaction Score
Does shrink actually mean to make it smaller, to reduce its size? If someone had that envious syndrome, should shrink have stayed out of the way?

Reaction Score
Tell me please why you did not capitalize "shrink". Do you somehow think this profession is not worthy of capitalization? Undt who is this "Alice" of whom you speak?
Professions are not capitalized. Would you write "my friend John is a great Mechanic" or "my father is an Engineer"?

Reaction Score
Professions are not capitalized. Would you write "my friend John is a great Mechanic" or "my father is an Engineer"?
Not sure about M/mechanic, but Engineer must be capitalized when written and spoken in a reverential tone...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Has Geno been equated to a peenie? Yeesh. Just dangling it out there.

Reaction Score
Over 100 years ago Sigmund Freud coined the term 'p...s envy' (you can Google it if you want...). It described a purported envy one s e x felt toward the other.

Borrowing from Freud, I would like to officially coin the term GENO ENVY SYNDROME. I suggest that there are some unknown number of coaches, perhaps whole programs, that suffer from such. It, for example, could explain MM's behavior at the Final Four.

The gist of the diagnosis would be coaches that somewhere in their psyche (however repressed the thought is) know that they don't have the skills that Geno has and it drives them nuts. It leads to irrational behavior (MM) and stupid actions (complaining to the NCAA about a phone call that everybody knows was purely innocent).

You could have written it as "peni$ envy" . . .

Reaction Score
The envy of Geno is incredible to witness..... and of course, that ain't geno's fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom