Geno Downplays NIL | The Boneyard

Geno Downplays NIL

Reaction Score
All very encouraging. Love the comments on Azzi & Caroline and general player determination. It's a great time to be a UCONN fan. For the umpteenth time.

And a random thought, when the state approved the NIL legislation they should have just named it the "Let's Make Paige and Azzi Gazillionaires Act" of 2021. I had to make ends meet by working part time at McDonald's when I was in college. I'm guessing Paige and Azzi won't need to.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
3 Geno comments I really like from this video:
  • He’s really high on Caroline work ethic & ability
  • Everyone is competing hard at practice. “If you’re not competing you stick out.”
  • They are trying a new tack with Aubrey to give her confidence in her shot. “If you don’t shoot it when you’re open, you’re coming out of the game.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Missed the Aubrey comment @oldude, but it sure makes sense. She really did not progress last season. Let's hope Geno's plan can force some shooting confidence on her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Missed the Aubrey comment @oldude, but it sure makes sense. She really did not progress last season. Let's hope Geno's plan can force some shooting confidence on her.
I watched Aubrey’s last 4 HS games against top NY competition. She scored 30+ in all 4 games, scoring from everywhere. At Ossining Aubrey was the star attraction. She took and made the most shots of anyone on the team. She’ll never get as many shots at UConn, but she needs to shoot the ball with the same level of confidence that she had in HS.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol. Did Geno refer to Caroline Ducharme as a "tough little sheet"?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Love his comments about Dorka. She's a "big 6'3" in that she's very long and as Geno said she's "aggressive as hell".

Geno said some kids are listed at 6'3" and people ask what measuring stick was used. He said Dorka is a full 6'5". Recall the photo in which she looked very tall?

He also said that Liv has been working with CD and Jamelle and playing against Dorka and Aubrey. Liv's confidence is high. I'm happy to hear that!

Reaction Score
Imagine what it's going to be like digging around in the detritus of everyone's life to sort out what's OK and what's not. The rules better be crystal clear between all parties to avoid the chaos that's likely. "Run it by me," says Geno. Really? Seems as if autonomy precludes anyone making financial decisions (among others) for anyone else. Who really gets to decide here?
Feel the power shift?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting this Rocky. It was very informative. It’s nice to get a “state of the team” report from Geno at this time during the summer. Now we know where the players that are recuperating from medical issues are at in their recovery.

I was pleased to hear his assessment of Dorka. “She’s all of 6’5”, very long, and aggressive as hell.” It looks like she’ll fit right in. I really would like to get periodic reports like this from him or one of his coaches every 3-4 weeks. A report of that nature would answer a lot of questions some of us have.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched Aubrey’s last 4 HS games against top NY competition. She scored 30+ in all 4 games, scoring from everywhere. At Ossining Aubrey was the star attraction. She took and made the most shots of anyone on the team. She’ll never get as many shots at UConn, but she needs to shoot the ball with the same level of confidence that she had in HS.
I liken Aubrey to a dormant volcano. You know she has the ability to erupt at any time. The only question is when. Her 25 point game off the bench at Seton Hall her freshman year proved she can play and be successful at this level. I think the only thing stopping Aubrey is Aubrey.

She needs to regain the shooter’s mentality and confidence she had her senior year in HS. I think the “if you don’t shoot the ball when you’re open, you’re coming out” directive from Geno will help. It will be on her mind when she‘s in the game and every time she touches the ball.

She seldom looked for her shot her freshman year, instead choosing to pass and defer. This was something I hoped she would have gotten over as a sophomore, she didn’t. Aubrey has a quick first step to the basket. I’d like to see her adopt an attack mentality like Aaliyah has. Geno doesn’t have to tell her to shoot and attack the basket.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Imagine what it's going to be like digging around in the detritus of everyone's life to sort out what's OK and what's not. The rules better be crystal clear between all parties to avoid the chaos that's likely. "Run it by me," says Geno. Really? Seems as if autonomy precludes anyone making financial decisions (among others) for anyone else. Who really gets to decide here?
Feel the power shift?
Geno may not mean it, but he said he will not be involed in players' NIL business; that the U has some rules but he hopes the players are mindful of those rules.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
3 Geno comments I really like from this video:
  • He’s really high on Caroline work ethic & ability
  • Everyone is competing hard at practice. “If you’re not competing you stick out.”
  • They are trying a new tack with Aubrey to give her confidence in her shot. “If you don’t shoot it when you’re open, you’re coming out of the game.”
I agree!
I also liked Geno's comments regarding Dorka Juhász. She may push Liv really hard to realize her full potential. I do like having 4 players at 6'5" with all-star guards, Paige, Nika, Azzi, Caroline, CW and "E".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree!
I also liked Geno's comments regarding Dorka Juhász. She may push Liv really hard to realize her full potential. I do like having 4 players at 6'5" with all-star guards, Paige, Nika, Azzi, Caroline, CW and "E".
From Geno’s comments about Liv, it appears she’s doing a really good job of pushing herself. One of Geno’s comments was that Liv, in working with Jamelle & CD, and competing against Dorka & Aubrey in practice, has gained a lot of confidence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From Geno’s comments about Liv, it appears she’s doing a really good job of pushing herself. One of Geno’s comments was that Liv, in working with Jamelle & CD, and competing against Dorka & Aubrey in practice, has gained a lot of confidence.
I will believe this when I see it. The only person impeding Olivia’s development is Olivia. I really hope this is the year she realizes that.

Reaction Score
A little bit disappointed in the Aubrey update, sounds like they’re still at the same place they were with her the past two years. I really hope this tactic works. Everyone can tell she has the potential to be great, seems like it’s all mental. I’m really rooting for her. On the plus side an extra year of eligibility could really benefit her.
Also sounds like Amari won’t be much of an impact player. I’m interested to see the minutes Caroline gets. To no surprise sounds like Azzi will be getting the most minutes out of the freshmen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For some reason we're talking about Aubrey's offensive potential. Does anyone remember that she was regarded as a defensive disruptor and energizer bunny last year? Not sure we need much point production from Aubrey (or from Nika either). What they gave us was something that wasn't coming from anywhere else: aggressive d. We've got plenty of sharpshooters (esp. adding Azzi and Dorka), but scrappers: we'll take all we can get.
Geez, this is going to be an amazing year; I'm beyond antsy.

Reaction Score
Feel the power shift?
No so much a power shift; more of {{don’t do anything stupid that will eliminate you from playing}}.<—-unsaid.
Might want to “run it by” someone that has been involved with the NCAA for several decades- along with the parents and an Attorney.
Sign the wrong document- no ball- followed by cratered value.
Those waving the contracts around will just move to the next client/victim.

Reaction Score
I've always supported ONO but this work to improve should've started two summers ago or at the very least when she got that taste of national team competition. If instruction and competition doesn't come to you, you have to go out and find it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've always supported ONO but this work to improve should've started two summers ago or at the very least when she got that taste of national team competition. If instruction and competition doesn't come to you, you have to go out and find it.
I don’t buy that Liv hasn’t put in the work. She’s improved every year at UConn, but not quite to the level everyone hoped for, yet.

Reaction Score
I just love aggressiveness and more body contact for the big. Hope that Dorka can get big minutes.
A player like Dorka is what this team has been missing since Stewie left. Need a player to mix it up in in the post & on the boards when it counts in the Final Four & in big games during the regular season.

Reaction Score
Geno may not mean it, but he said he will not be involed in players' NIL business; that the U has some rules but he hopes the players are mindful of those rules.
OK, but what are the rules and whose rules are they anyway? For example, in the interview Geno said that the NIL kicks in CT in a week or so. Huh? I thought everyone was cleared to start taking advantage of the new financial arrangement on July 1. Other states have given other dates, but how sensible is it to allow some to move ahead and others not to?
Are there parameters for UConn's rules in this new circumstance, or can the school make whatever rules it likes? Generally speaking, the new NIL policy is no skin off UConn's nose; the school isn't paying these kids a dime. Of course the Huskies will be affected by however this goes down, but to what extent can the university impact the outcome(s)?
Instead of warning the players, I'd be careful if I were the school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom