Geno- Coaching the Coaches | The Boneyard

Geno- Coaching the Coaches

Reaction Score
It seems like every game, the television announcers keep mentioning that the opposing coach went to Storrs to watch UConn practice or visit with Geno. It was mentioned that Cori Close of UCLA visited Geno, as did Vic Schaefer of Mississippi State and Tricia Fabbri of Quinnipiac (among others). We frequently talk about the Geno "coaching tree", but I wonder if anyone has ever put together a list of the DI coaches who went to pick the brain of the Great One? Seems to be an under reported story...

Reaction Score
I honestly get tired of announcers trying to surpass themselves to identify more creative accolades for Coach Geno. That aside, it is a wonder watching UConn play against good teams. As talented as the UConn players are, Geno seems to be playing a completely different game from other coaches. UConn is aggressive at both ends of the floor, all the time. Most of their opponents have never seen that and it throws them off.

Does any team force more turnovers? Defensively, even with a short bench, UConn presses and traps 3/4 court and 1/2 court, the majority of the game. They play the passing lanes full tilt, all the time. I just don't get why more women's teams don't do that. Even a 10 deep team like Baylor played mostly half court, man-to-man defense with little on-the-ball pressure.

Offensively, UConn has great shooters and they move the ball and move without the ball as well as anyone. But it seems that they send 2-3 players to the offensive board on a consistent basis. Am I wrong about that?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I honestly get tired of announcers trying to surpass themselves to identify more creative accolades for Coach Geno.
No one commented on it but I really liked how Cori Close tried to counter that in one of the press conferences after getting a question about how she visited with Geno - she said yes, I did spend three days in Storrs, but I also did the same in South Bend on the way home - in effect saying, I am seeking knowledge where ever I can find it from more experienced coaches.

Edit - I am going to start another thread on defense and scouting to partly address the rest of your posting.

Reaction Score
Look, you can show people what you do, but you cannot transfer the unending pursuit of excellence. Remember the interview with Geno where he said that the kids say "I can't", and Geno says "I will tell you when you can't, and until then, you can."

That's Marine Corps, and Navy seal excellence. That's built inside the person. That's Geno. That's the UConn system.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
No one commented on it but I really liked how Cori Close tried to counter that in one of the press conferences after getting a question about how she visited with Geno - she said yes, I did spend three days in Storrs, but I also did the same in South Bend on the way home - in effect saying, I am seeking knowledge where ever I can find it from more experienced coaches.

Edit - I am going to start another thread on defense and scouting to partly address the rest of your posting.

One could interpret her comment to be "I learned a lot at UConn from Geno but forgot it after I stopped time at Notre Dame and listened to Muffet?"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Look, you can show people what you do, but you cannot transfer the unending pursuit of excellence.
I think it was in one of the SNY pieces they asked Geno about teaching other coaches and if he was worried he'd give away secrets that would be used against UCONN. He basically said no, just because they see and hear what we do in a 2-3 hour practice, or we talk about things, doesn't mean they are going to know how to accomplish that with their kids 24/7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom