Geno, Chris See Saniya (Ossining) top Sierra (CTK)) | The Boneyard

Geno, Chris See Saniya (Ossining) top Sierra (CTK))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LINK to blurb about game ......scroll down if needed.....Saniya w/46.....with 0 after 1st quarter....Saniya would have had a least 6 assists in 1st quater but teammates kept missing layups. Not much rebounding for Ossining.

Will follow with link to full article when available.

Reaction Score
Saniya was grabbing her abdomen just before the start of the 2nd half and one of the Ossining trainers was checking her out. The way she was shooting from the outside (beyond the 3 pt arc) in the 1st half....she just wasn't herself.....I knew there had to be something wrong (sick to her stomach). So she decided to take it to the hoop for most of the 3rd quarter and the whole 4th quarter......and CTK couldn't stop her. Saniya was either fouled or scored.(almost every time)............You should have seen the look on Geno and Chris' faces on a few of Saniya's drives to the hoop. Their jaws dropped!

Reaction Score
Here's a LINK to the MSGVarsity.com full replay of Fridays (1/4/13) Ossining vs Christ The King girls high school basketball game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok, 29 points in a quarter is pretty good for a healthy player. For a sick player, it is pretty much unbelievable.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Ok, 29 points in a quarter is pretty good for a healthy player. For a sick player, it is pretty much unbelievable.

OK. So KML gets the bad clams, Saniya gets the bad oysters.....

Reaction Score

From USA Today High School Sports "Eventually Chong got going, and boy, she gets unstoppable then. She had 17 points after three quarters, and then piled up 29 of Ossining's 32 points in the fourth to finish with 46 to go along with 11 assists, seven rebounds, four steals and two big blocked shots in an 89-84 win."

So Saniya accounted for 68 of Ossining's 89 points. Not bad for a sick young lady who had no points in the 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
I watched the game through the LINK above. It was very enjoyable and exciting. Chong and Calhoun were really good (I thought Chong had more overall impact on the game.) But there were several other really good players. One of the announcers mentioned that Geno was there not only to see Chung and Calhoun. He was there to watch the other starting guard on Chung's team, Andra Spinoza-Hunter. Remember that name. Hopefully you have a long memory. She is an 8th grader- and, was on the varsity last year. She is 5'10" (at 13 years old) and is, according to the announcer, one of the best 3 point shooters in NY State. I can believe it. She practices 7 days a week. If he can get her, Geno will want to renew his contract. If I didn't know that she was in middle school (this is legal in NY), I would have thought that she was a HS senior. She was the one taking, and making, the 3 point shots at the end of the game.

Chong's outside shooting did seem off; but, she was unstoppable to the hoop. Geno was interviewed at halftime and said that he had known about the scoring; but, what really impressed him the first time he saw her play was her passing. Chong must have great peripheral vision, because it she sees an open player anywhere on the court, that player better be ready for a pass, because one will be instantly winging her way- right where her hands should be. When she gets the ball, she is very quick and decisive. She immediately does something with it- pass, outside shot, or to the basket.She also works very hard on defense.

Geno was also asked about Stewart. He said something to the effect whenever she gets her act together, she will do things on the basketball court that no one has ever done before.

At the end of the interview, the announcer said to Geno, "you're a legend." Very funny. Geno's response was, "yeah, right!"

Reaction Score
Chong has an a unique looking ability to make layups further from the basket than normal. Anywhere near the basket and it's a sure bet.

A word of recognition to MSG Varsity Sports, the network that broadcast the game. They do an amazing job covering high school sports. It's a High Definition network run by Madison Square Garden and only available to Cablevision Optimum customers. They cover all HS sports full time in the NYC metropolitan area, CT, NY, NJ. Not only is the quality of the broadcasts excellent, but the announcers are the most knowledgeable and entertaining you'll find on any sports broadcast. Even the quality of the web replays are better than most (anyone agree?). I hope this network is successful, and similar outlets proliferate to other areas of the country. There are some really good high school teams/players and it is nice to be able to follow these kids from HS through their college careers.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: in the last 3 games....against previously undefeated Irvington, a solid St. Anthony's team and a traditional national power CTK [all Ossining wins and all close games], Saniya has scored 45...51....and 46 points. Yikes!

Now at 7-3....Saniya has 358 points....35.8 per game.

Obviously she shoots a lot.....but last year both Geno and her high school coach said that she was overly unselfish.

Begin to smooth out some of the rough edges and she may well be a significant factor in our rotation next year.

Reaction Score
BTW: in the last 3 games....against previously undefeated Irvington, a solid St. Anthony's team and a traditional national power CTK [all Ossining wins and all close games], Saniya has scored 45...51....and 46 points. Yikes!

Now at 7-3....Saniya has 358 points....35.8 per game.

Obviously she shoots a lot.....but last year both Geno and her high school coach said that she was overly unselfish.

Begin to smooth out some of the rough edges and she may well be a significant factor in our rotation next year.

I love this quote by Jalay Knowles (Ossining's center) about Saniya after the recent St. Anthony's game:

“It’s honestly unbelievable,” Ossining sophomore Jalay Knowles said. “There’s no other player like her. I love playing with her. Even though she has 51 points, she also had (nine) assists. Just because she’s the player, she’s not going to hog the ball. If she sees you open, you have to be ready to catch the ball.”

Reaction Score
I watched the game through the LINK above. It was very enjoyable and exciting. Chong and Calhoun were really good (I thought Chong had more overall impact on the game.) But there were several other really good players. One of the announcers mentioned that Geno was there not only to see Chung and Calhoun. He was there to watch the other starting guard on Chung's team, Andra Spinoza-Hunter. Remember that name. Hopefully you have a long memory. She is an 8th grader- and, was on the varsity last year. She is 5'10" (at 13 years old) and is, according to the announcer, one of the best 3 point shooters in NY State. I can believe it. She practices 7 days a week. If he can get her, Geno will want to renew his contract. If I didn't know that she was in middle school (this is legal in NY), I would have thought that she was a HS senior. She was the one taking, and making, the 3 point shots at the end of the game.

Chong's outside shooting did seem off; but, she was unstoppable to the hoop. Geno was interviewed at halftime and said that he had known about the scoring; but, what really impressed him the first time he saw her play was her passing. Chong must have great peripheral vision, because it she sees an open player anywhere on the court, that player better be ready for a pass, because one will be instantly winging her way- right where her hands should be. When she gets the ball, she is very quick and decisive. She immediately does something with it- pass, outside shot, or to the basket.She also works very hard on defense.

Geno was also asked about Stewart. He said something to the effect whenever she gets her act together, she will do things on the basketball court that no one has ever done before.

At the end of the interview, the announcer said to Geno, "you're a legend." Very funny. Geno's response was, "yeah, right!"

You are sooooo right, itsasport! Saniya made a 3/4 court pass last night, between defenders, exactly where it had to be; right on the offensive players hands, that led to an easy score. I turned to see what Geno and Chris thought of the pass and they both had their mouths open and then turned to each other with BIG smiles on their faces. It was an amazing long, accurate pass!

Reaction Score
Chong has an a unique looking ability to make layups further from the basket than normal. Anywhere near the basket and it's a sure bet.

A word of recognition to MSG Varsity Sports, the network that broadcast the game. They do an amazing job covering high school sports. It's a High Definition network run by Madison Square Garden and only available to Cablevision Optimum customers. They cover all HS sports full time in the NYC metropolitan area, CT, NY, NJ. Not only is the quality of the broadcasts excellent, but the announcers are the most knowledgeable and entertaining you'll find on any sports broadcast. Even the quality of the web replays are better than most (anyone agree?). I hope this network is successful, and similar outlets proliferate to other areas of the country. There are some really good high school teams/players and it is nice to be able to follow these kids from HS through their college careers.

I've noticed that too. Saniya seems to be able to kill the bounce on the ball as it hits the backboarrd. When she shoots a farther away layup, it's much softer and higher on the backboard..........and that's with the right, or left hand.........she made some fantastic drives to the basket, yesterday afternoon, where she finished with her left hand. She's got a great left hand.

MSG Varsity Sports does do a great job. Quality broadcasts, quality coverage.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saniya's high-arching layups going left are something that very few college players or even pros have. She has lots of skills for her age.

Reaction Score

I totally agree with everything you said about the programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom