Geno cheering | The Boneyard

Geno cheering

Reaction Score
At the 3.02 mark in the first quarter. Gabby is guarding a Cuse player in front of Uconn bench, Gabby goes after the ball and it goes out of bounds off Cuse player. Geno gets down and start clapping and with a big smile on his face. I don't ever remember seeing such enthusiasm from Geno so early in a game.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
At the 3.02 mark in the first quarter. Gabby is guarding a Cuse player in front of Uconn bench, Gabby goes after the ball and it goes out of bounds off Cuse player. Geno gets down and start clapping and with a big smile on his face. I don't ever remember seeing such enthusiasm from Geno so early in a game.

Yeah , he was really enjoying that action!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I suspect he was almost in shock. Almost as giddy as Scrooge on Christmas morning. The incident like that that I remember, and yes it was much later in the game, was his appreciative reaction to MO high hurdling over the scorer's desk in an NCAA game last year(?).

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think he knew this would be a test for his team - Syracuse can shoot, they play up tempo and are physical. It reminds me of a few years ago when UConn played Rutgers in the second game - it was a great game from UConn's end because they had more of a challenge than they normally face this early, which can only help going forward. Plus I think Geno likes beating Coach Q, even though I think they are buddies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Plus I think Geno likes beating Coach Q, even though I think they are buddies."

Just a guess, but I would say that you are right on the first part and really, really wrong on the second.

Reaction Score
I thought Geno wanted the victory last night more than he usually does due to two things: the scheduling snub last year and Syracuse' self-proclaimed "best backcourt in the country". That animated display by Geno when Gabby forced the turnover in the first quarter was indeed the most emotion (of the happy type) I can ever remember him showing during a game.

As far as the vaunted "best backcourt in the country" performed, I don't think Peterson and Sykes were even the best backcourt in last night's game. Kia alone was a better backcourt. Admittedly, Peterson and Sykes can shoot. Peterson scored on a bunch of high-arcing bunnies in the lane in the last three quarters, not an easy shot to pull off. And both of them bombed a few threes. I think they scored 40 points between them, which is impressive against UConn. However, their backcourt pressure was not effective at all. In the first quarter they forced one turnover in the backcourt and immediately turned it back over. Gabby set the mood by dribbling the length of the court through the middle of the pressure defense a few minutes into the game. For some reason Peterson kept trying ankle-high passes inside to her bigs, never a good idea. At the end of the first quarter the Syracuse backcourt had one basket - a three-point bucket by Sykes - and several turnovers, bobbles, zero dishes and several missed switches. They were deer in the headlights. End of discussion.

Reaction Score
I think he knew this would be a test for his team - Syracuse can shoot, they play up tempo and are physical. It reminds me of a few years ago when UConn played Rutgers in the second game - it was a great game from UConn's end because they had more of a challenge than they normally face this early, which can only help going forward. Plus I think Geno likes beating Coach Q, even though I think they are buddies.
I understand what he has to tell the media and his team pre game but I'd be very surprised if he really thought Syracuse was going to be a test. With no inside game, 2 guards dribbling around in circles looking for their own shot and no clue of how to make an assist, and a terrible 3 PT shooting percentage they were no threat. After all, that team was beaten 10 times this year by teams that weren't close to UConn's level.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
My question is Who was he looking at while he was clapping so demonstrably? All his players were to his right. He had duck-stepped away from them.

Was it to needle Syracuse's backcourt? :confused:

Reaction Score
I thought Geno was just excited about the hustle and execution on defense. He has been harping on really getting aggressive on defense without fouling. I thought he was excited to see that kind of defense early in the game. "They get it! OMG they are doing it!"
Didn't think it was specific to the opponent at all. JMHO

Reaction Score
So funny this got mentioned. My wife and were watching and said the same. Geno looked unusually amped and motivated.

The fact is, even over-the-top winners like Geno need a good, emotional rivalry game once in a while.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I understand what he has to tell the media and his team pre game but I'd be very surprised if he really thought Syracuse was going to be a test. With no inside game, 2 guards dribbling around in circles looking for their own shot and no clue of how to make an assist, and a terrible 3 PT shooting percentage they were no threat. After all, that team was beaten 10 times this year by teams that weren't close to UConn's level.

Well, would you have thought Quinnipiac would be in the sweet 16? Geno has always been a worrier and this is a young team. Also, the potential for foul trouble with a helter skelter opponent is very real.

Reaction Score

Geno has talked about how long it takes for some players to "get it." But when an entire young team, in a rebuilding year, GETS IT, that must be music to his ears and eyes. That play, demonstrates Gabby's internalization of Geno's 40 minutes of focus, and the team's year-long maturation that has defied all expectations and common sense. Geno grinning, shaking his head in disbelief are wonderful demonstrations of a coach witnessing his team transcending normal parameters into athletic immortality. And what a ride for UCONN fans and a revitalization for the veteran coach, CD, Shea and Marisa.

Reaction Score
Well, would you have thought Quinnipiac would be in the sweet 16? Geno has always been a worrier and this is a young team. Also, the potential for foul trouble with a helter skelter opponent is very real.
I hadn't seen QU at all this season. However, after watching them last night, IMO they're a better team and better coached than Syracuse. IMO, you go helter-skelter when you don't know what else to do. I thought Syracuse was right where they belonged, a 8th seed with no chance of beating a top 5-10 team. So no, didn't expect QU to be in the S16 but after seeing them I believe they belong.

Reaction Score
Geno has talked about how long it takes for some players to "get it." But when an entire young team, in a rebuilding year, GETS IT, that must be music to his ears and eyes. That play, demonstrates Gabby's internalization of Geno's 40 minutes of focus, and the team's year-long maturation that has defied all expectations and common sense. Geno grinning, shaking his head in disbelief are wonderful demonstrations of a coach witnessing his team transcending normal parameters into athletic immortality. And what a ride for UCONN fans and a revitalization for the veteran coach, CD, Shea and Marisa.
I'd like to see Auriemma trademark a phrase for his defense and put it on a wall they can touch everyday and pre-game. "40 Minutes of Hell."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What was Kentucky's catch phrase for their vaunted defense? 40 Minutes of Dread? For 2 years in a row UConn shredded that in the B'port regional.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I watched the replay. He was stepping away from his team and really going at it.

New theory. He might have been cheering with, or exhorting on, the band or the cheerleaders or some other group on the other side of the court.

Reaction Score
I think he was excited more about how his team was playing out of the gate than anything relating to the opponent. I believe this is where he expected them to be for the tourney and was so excited to see potential meet reality.
I'd like to add that this is the most animated I have seen Geno in several years ! This team has bought into every single aspect he and the coaching staff have fed them. Look out ! The huskies are way better than they were in december. They will not be outworked! I think has decided to enjoy this very special ride. Like we all are

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
"Plus I think Geno likes beating Coach Q, even though I think they are buddies."

Just a guess, but I would say that you are right on the first part and really, really wrong on the second.
Meh. I think a lot of that controversy was manufactured. And Geno was really complimentary of Q's team, and there were some photos floating around of them before the games started. I think he likes him. I could be wrong.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The way I see it Geno understood that this team was a specific match up problem for UConn and not necessarily for the other top 4 seeds. Their frontcourt are long, athletic leapers with speed. The backcourt are excellent shooters who can penetrate off the dribble with speed. Shooters that once they got hot could carry the game. This was a team that he has had issues with as to their mode of play. He's also had issues dealing with Q personally in years past. This is an old Big East rival and they had just played UConn last year in the final. UConn doesn't get to play old Big East rivals much anymore, it was the first time in many years two teams from last years final get to meet in the tourney the following year, and Geno doesn't like playing teams who have seen his team before in the NCAA's. For coaches this could add up to a perfect storm. He wanted this game almost as much as ND. Perhaps because of some issues, more.

Also frankly, these young ladies continue to surprise him. He's been asked a few times this year whether he finds this run or this team exciting and he's said not really. But I think he finds them interesting and that has surprised him. This team plays with an even keel. They don't get too high or too low. They're not a rah-rah let's win this one for old UConn, play on adrenaline kind of team. He's said many times that this team has plenty of personality and emotion off the court but not much on the court. Yet they always do what needs to be done to win. They're led by sophomores and a junior that were role players last year with no superstar senior to guide them. That's never really happened before at UConn. They're perfectly willing to pick each other up when another is having an off day. For a clearly emotional man such as Geno this team is almost a cipher, and very different than other teams he has had.

Watching Geno on the sidelines this game was like watching the old Geno. Geno with his jacket off, sleeves rolled, squatting on the sidelines, ripping a hole into the refs and players alike. But also the Geno that cheered his troops on, occasionally shaking that fist or clapping his hands with that wide satisfied grin. Man, it was good to see that guy back.

I ain't TonyC, the eternal optimist who is usually right about how UConn's season's are going to play out. I'm a pessimist that is usually wrong and perpetually surprised by the outcome of every season. I don't know if this team will win their 5th in a row, but it sure has been one of the best rides this team has ever given me. Glad I'm a fan. A fan of UConn, WCBB, and all the dedicated people who participate in this great sport.

Now as for the rest of the teams in this tournament I ain't sceerd of a single one.

Not. One. Bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom