Geno Auriemma Postgame Press Conference - South Carolina | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma Postgame Press Conference - South Carolina

Reaction Score
It's pretty rare for Geno to mention his annoyance with officiating after a game, but we got it in this one, LOL.
He is right, They were terrible ! Wonder if they have a quota of fouls for each game because they make them up as they go.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The Ref said," She took up too much space on the pick. That's a foul." Anyone ever hear of such a rule?

Reaction Score
The Ref said," She took up too much space on the pick. That's a foul." Anyone ever hear of such a rule?

Geno said the ref said that "her stance was too wide when setting a screen". This is a very normal foul call and Geno knows it. I am puzzled by him talking about it. The only reason you don't see it called a lot is that every player knows they can't widen their stance while setting a screen. If he wants to complain, then say the ref's judgement was wrong and that she didn't take a wide stance.

The rule book says this about screens: "In establishing and maintaining legal screening tactics, the screener shall: stay within their vertical plane with a stance in which the inside of the screener's feet are no wider than shoulder width apart. The screener shall not lean into the path of an opponent or extend their hips into that path, even though the feet are stationary."

Reaction Score
I don’t care about refs all that much, you control what you can control, but quoting from the rule book in many ways is not relevant IMO. Illegal screens are called almost exclusively by the screener either leaning or moving, not for wide stances. If the rule book was followed to the T, very few modern players would even be able to take 2-3 dribbles before being called for palming. Refs are notorious for their inconsistency, from game to game, half to half, and quarter to quarter. The end of games are called differently than the beginning of games. Last night was no different. Can anyone objectively look at the extended skirmish at the end of regulation and say there were no fouls committed?

Reaction Score
I don’t care about refs all that much, you control what you can control, but quoting from the rule book in many ways is not relevant IMO. Illegal screens are called almost exclusively by the screener either leaning or moving, not for wide stances. If the rule book was followed to the T, very few modern players would even be able to take 2-3 dribbles before being called for palming. Refs are notorious for their inconsistency, from game to game, half to half, and quarter to quarter. The end of games are called differently than the beginning of games. Last night was no different. Can anyone objectively look at the extended skirmish at the end of regulation and say there were no fouls committed?

The reason wide stances aren't called often is that players know the rule and rarely do it. When a stance is exceptionally wide, it is not unusual to see it called. Often the announcers don't even mention why the foul was called. But I have seen at least several hundred calls for a too-wide stance over the past decade.

Reaction Score
It's pretty rare for Geno to mention his annoyance with officiating after a game, but we got it in this one, LOL.
Geno said Nika got one foul called against her because "Her stance on her screen was too wide".

Reaction Score
The reason wide stances aren't called often is that players know the rule and rarely do it. When a stance is exceptionally wide, it is not unusual to see it called. Often the announcers don't even mention why the foul was called. But I have seen at least several hundred calls for a too-wide stance over the past decade.
Funny, I have never once heard it mentioned as a call in any game I have seen over the last decade so the announcers don’t often, but evidently always, don’t mention it. I am aware of the rule, like I am aware of the palming rule, but I would respectfully disagree that it it not unusual to see it called. I would say it is rare and closer to never; like I said, we just disagree.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is more relaxed with this team now. In the beginning of the season he was a little uptight. He know what he has now, and think he know which direction they are headed in. He has done another outstanding job as always.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom