Geno Auriemma grapples with cancellation of NCAA Tournament, abrupt end to season | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma grapples with cancellation of NCAA Tournament, abrupt end to season

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The UConn women’s basketball team’s season came to an abrupt end on Thursday, when the NCAA announced that it had canceled its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments due to concerns about the coronavirus. Geno's players will soon disperse, the ones who can return home will, and the ones who cannot (like Anna Makurat) will be provided accommodations as UConn students await a decision on whether they can return to campus at all for the remainder of spring semester.

Reaction Score
Auriemma added that at this point in time, he believes Megan Walker intends to return for her senior season. The junior is eligible for the WNBA Draft since she turns 22 this calendar year. The timing of her decision will also depend on when the Draft, currently scheduled for April 17, is ultimately held.

That does not sound like a firm commitment from MW and that would be a mistake on MW part if she declares in my opinion.

Reaction Score
There is no guarantee, or even strong hope, that by the fall when the European pro leagues begin, Megan Walker will be able to play there. The NBA has shut down, and I strongly doubt whether we will be in any sort of shape for normal life to resume here in America. With the Covid-19 crisis barely in the beginning stages here, I doubt the WNBA will play a single game this year.

Nothing to leave, and nothing to leave to.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Under that calm exterior, Megan is a fierce competitor, and she has unfinished business. She won 3 straight VA HS championships, and I seriously doubt she wants to leave without a National Championship at UConn. IMO next year’s UConn team will compete with SC & Stanford as the top 3 teams in the nation. In addition, Megan will enhance her draft stock, assume the role as team leader and finally have the opportunity to play with her good friend Evina. I think all signs point to her return.

Reaction Score
Under that calm exterior, Megan is a fierce competitor, and she has unfinished business. She won 3 straight VA HS championships, and I seriously doubt she wants to leave without a National Championship at UConn. IMO next year’s UConn team will compete with SC & Stanford as the top 3 teams in the nation. In addition, Megan will enhance her draft stock, assume the role as team leader and finally have the opportunity to play with her good friend Evina. I think all signs point to her return.
I certainly hope so. This is not Kentucky, players are not expected to leave early here. The deal is you grow here as a player, a person, and a student. Sure there was Azure, but she was only all about Azure and she was a transfer. I think especially after what happened this year, she will want to come back. I sense a very strong willed individual underneath the professional veneer she has during interviews, never letting her guard down, and someone who is also very team oriented. She was a very unselfish passer this year( the turnovers notwithstanding) and her body language and interaction with the other players was always positive. As you point out, it's her team next year and I believe that she is willing to take that challenge on to win a NC. Here's the thing. We saw how much they changed as a team late this year and turned it around. They did too. My guess is they felt that they could and would win the NC this year because they experienced that change themselves. Each one of them did in their own way with CW being the last one to the Ball. Meg gets the whole thing about playing at UCONN. Also, if she has the same dedication to her game over this summer that she had over last summer, she will be POY everywhere. I think she wants that too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If players are considering leaving for the money, the decision on playing on foreign shores is not made until training camps in those countries as they have no requirements re age/college progress. Only the WNBA draft has to be considered in the spring as declaring for the draft kills all collage eligibility (though the NCAA to give a one time exemption if the WNBA season were canceled.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There may be a WNBA draft, but it's not clear that there will be a WNBA season. Players will have to weigh the probabilities of a season in the WNBA, Europe, and the NCAA. Some or all of these could be affected.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Agreed. I was going to mention her wanting to play with Evina, but you beat me to it. They are very good friends. The opportunity to play together is why Westbrook came to UConn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And the article contains a heart felt farewell from Kyla:

Senior Kyla Irwin took to Instagram to express her feelings about the end of her college career. “My heart breaks thinking about how I’ll never play in another college basketball game or never put this jersey back on," her post read. "The world works in mysterious ways, but I’m beyond grateful and blessed to have spent my last four years playing here and meeting some of the greatest people in my life. Thank you UConn Nation for everything. Together forever.”

Class all the way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is 21 minutes of Geno on Covid, the season etc etc. "Out 2 freshman have grown up tremendously right in front of our eyes." His description of what his favorite parts of the NCAA Tourney are - may surprise.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom