Geno Auriemma, Dan Hurley bonded over basketball on a long flight west | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma, Dan Hurley bonded over basketball on a long flight west

Reaction Score
The Register and Courant wrote similar articles on the 2 of them talking on the flight. Hurley picking Geno's brain.

Interesting quotes from Calhoun about sharing a flight with Geno's team on the way home from Kansas, where the women won and the men got blitzed and Calhoun was not in a good mood.

New Haven Register:
"He's got a great staff, he's got a helluva team," Auriemma noted. "He loves his team. I don't think he needs any help from me. They're really, really good. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the whole thing."

Told about this, Hurley was flattered.

"There would be more pressure," he noted, "if people thought we stunk and we had no shot."

Alternate free access:

UConn men's and women's basketball programs share a flight, mutual respect at Phil Knight Invitational

Hartford Courant:

“It was probably me asking a lot of questions about bigger picture things,” Hurley said. “Short-term things about coaching the current teams, program-building things. A great resource, to get stuck on a 6 1/2-hour flight and be able to steal some knowledge from an all-timer.”

Alternate free access:

A tale of two unlikely travel partners and how UConn coaches Geno Auriemma, Dan Hurley bonded over basketball on a long flight west

Reaction Score
The Register and Courant wrote similar articles on the 2 of them talking on the flight. Hurley picking Geno's brain.

Interesting quotes from Calhoun about sharing a flight with Geno's team on the way home from Kansas, where the women won and the men got blitzed and Calhoun was not in a good mood.

New Haven Register:
"He's got a great staff, he's got a helluva team," Auriemma noted. "He loves his team. I don't think he needs any help from me. They're really, really good. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the whole thing."

"There would be more pressure," he noted, "if people thought we stunk and we had no shot."

Alternate free access:

UConn men's and women's basketball programs share a flight, mutual respect at Phil Knight Invitational

Hartford Courant:

“It was probably me asking a lot of questions about bigger picture things,” Hurley said. “Short-term things about coaching the current teams, program-building things. A great resource, to get stuck on a 6 1/2-hour flight and be able to steal some knowledge from an all-timer.”

Alternate free access:

A tale of two unlikely travel partners and how UConn coaches Geno Auriemma, Dan Hurley bonded over basketball on a long flight west

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score

New Haven Register:

Alternate free access:

Hartford Courant:

Alternate free access:

Imagine having a job where your mentors are one guy whos is arguably a top 5 all time great who had the greatest build of a program and the other guy whos the best to ever do it in his sport? Lol! That is an embarrassment of knowledge.

Reaction Score
I will always remember Jim Calhoun’s answer to one of the best questions ever asked him. Are you motivated more by wanting to celebrate a win or dislike of losing? Jim immediately answered without hestitation - dislike of losing.
Given that, the discussion about the 1995 flight home from Kansas was classic, after a big WBB win and a MBB loss. As someone who loves and appreciates Jim Calhoun, I can fully appreciate the women wanting to celebrate but the tension if anyone dared to or if a MBB player acknowledge anything other than losing really stinks.

Reaction Score
This team does play a similar style to the women’s team. Lots of cutting and passing. Not much hero ball.

You would absolutely love watching Bellarmine play

Reaction Score
This team does play a similar style to the women’s team. Lots of cutting and passing. Not much hero ball.
Yesterday was the prettiest basketball ive seen a mens team play in a very, very long time. Sure there was some stufff to improve on but last night was fun to watch. When was the last time we shredded a zone like that?

Reaction Score
From a basketball perspective, Dan sees Geno the same way he views his dad and Calhoun- all great basketball coaches who have highly achieved at their level and who have years and years of valuable experience. Not everything they have to say is going to be relevant to what he’s doing, but why not engage, ask questions, and listen when the opportunity arises?

No matter the profession, people should be confident enough in themselves to know they can always get a new perspective or learn something without worrying that it diminishes their accomplishments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom