Geno Auriemma confident in another UConn title: 'Just matter of when' | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma confident in another UConn title: 'Just matter of when'

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"We're going to win another one," Auriemma told reporters prior to the school's "First Night" pep rally. "It's just a matter of when. I don't know when that is, but we're going win another one. Sooner rather than later would be good for me." "Oh yeah. and it would be good for my friends and fans at the Boneyard."

Bazinga!

"We're just trying to keep everybody in their normal mode of how they play. But asking them that, you're going to end up having to do a little more," Auriemma said. "It's those little things that you're trying to impart on them, and they've been great. They've been really receptive and they're embracing it."

We're a national championship contender until we get knocked out," Auriemma said. "If and when that day comes, then we won't be anymore. But today, October 14, we have as good a chance of winning a national championship as anybody else. And we'll see where that takes us. Not as good a chance as we had in June, but we still have a chance."

"I think the further you get away from [the 2013-2016 run], the more you realize it was a fantasy land that we created,"

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"We're going to win another one," Auriemma told reporters prior to the school's "First Night" pep rally. "It's just a matter of when. I don't know when that is, but we're going win another one. Sooner rather than later would be good for me." "Oh yeah. and it would be good for my friends and fans at the Boneyard."

Bazinga!

"We're just trying to keep everybody in their normal mode of how they play. But asking them that, you're going to end up having to do a little more," Auriemma said. "It's those little things that you're trying to impart on them, and they've been great. They've been really receptive and they're embracing it."

We're a national championship contender until we get knocked out," Auriemma said. "If and when that day comes, then we won't be anymore. But today, October 14, we have as good a chance of winning a national championship as anybody else. And we'll see where that takes us. Not as good a chance as we had in June, but we still have a chance."

"I think the further you get away from [the 2013-2016 run], the more you realize it was a fantasy land that we created,"
Ok gang, we’ve arrived. We’ve reached the ultimate pinnacle of existence. Our coach has recognized us in public as caring friends and fans of the program. :)

Reaction Score

Bazinga!

I suspect he is sandbagging. Expectations diminished with the injury and he thinks it's better they stay there.
UConn has a real lot of talent, two fifth year players and a half dozen returnees who started games last year and a couple the last 2 years. Youth, experience, a world-class shooter, lots of athletic and mobile size. We will know them by their turnovers early.

Reaction Score

Bazinga!

Geno has backed up what I've been saying all year, we're going to win No12! I admit he said he didn't know when,but the sooner the better.I predict that this is the year because we have so much we have to prove that we are contenders. Last year we overcame one major hurdle after another and still made it to the finals. Even with Paige ouy, the team now believes it can finish the job this year and win the NCAA title outright. I know we have to face SC, but we are 9W-3L against them. THIS YEAR WE WILL MAKE IT 10 and 3. As I've posted before,"we have GENO, they don't!" GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I suspect he is sandbagging. Expectations diminished with the injury and he thinks it's better they stay there.
UConn has a real lot of talent, two fifth year players and a half dozen returnees who started games last year and a couple the last 2 years. Youth, experience, a world-class shooter, lots of athletic and mobile size. We will know them by their turnovers early.
the puppet master moving strings ! I like it , set the tone early and expectation and hope and pray the effort and intensity proves it .

Reaction Score
Geno has backed up what I've been saying all year, we're going to win No12! I admit he said he didn't know when,but the sooner the better.I predict that this is the year because we have so much we have to prove that we are contenders. Last year we overcame one major hurdle after another and still made it to the finals. Even with Paige ouy, the team now believes it can finish the job this year and win the NCAA title outright. I know we have to face SC, but we are 9W-3L against them. THIS YEAR WE WILL MAKE IT 10 and 3. As I've posted before,"we have GENO, they don't!" GO HUSKIES!!!
Pretty bold prediction and i like it , the portion about he does not know when makes me wonder into alpha centauri wondering will he be coaching there too when i arrive lol . #MonSTARS

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m drinking that Koolaid also. I have commented recently that there are several other teams fully capable of winning the national championship this year. The same ones that were one and two seeds in the national tournament last year. They will ALL be there again this year.

The road to this year’s tournament will not be a cakewalk to the championship. The competition will be fierce. A lot of good teams will be sent home that second weekend.

Geno is right. Right now, UConn has as good a chance as any other program, even with Paige out. Geno started preparing his team for tournament play Thursday.

The thing that will win a championship for UConn this year is the same thing that will win it every year. Execution. Make plays on both ends of the court. When the ball comes your way, make a play. Limit the number of offensive rebounds by your opponent.

Limit your team turnovers each game to 9 or less. Don’t give up easy baskets or dumb fouls. That’s not how you practice, that’s not how you play. Show up ready to play every game. No magic tricks. Don’t let foul trouble send you to the bench. You can’t help your team from there. Play smart, have fun and enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
I’m drinking that Koolaid also. I have commented recently that there are several other teams fully capable of winning the national championship this year. The same ones that were one and two seeds in the national tournament last year. They will ALL be there again this year.

The road to this year’s tournament will not be a cakewalk to the championship. The competition will be fierce. A lot of good teams will be sent home that second weekend.

Geno is right. Right now, UConn has as good a chance as any other program, even with Paige out. Geno started preparing his team for tournament play Thursday.

The thing that will win a championship for UConn this year is the same thing that will win it every year. Execution. Make plays on both ends of the court. When the ball comes your way, make a play. Limit the number of offensive rebounds by your opponent.

Limit your team turnovers each game to 9 or less. Don’t give up easy baskets or dumb fouls. That’s not how you practice, that’s not how you play. Show up ready to play every game. No magic tricks. Don’t let foul trouble send you to the bench. You can’t help your team from there. Play smart, have fun and enjoy the ride.
I consider you to be one of the premier posters on the Boneyard. I regret that I don't have the expertise of the premier posters, but I post what I feel and understand. I agree with all of your analysis's.You say it better than I can. GO HUSKIES!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When is 2024 when a mature Azzi coming off a 1st team AA performance teams up with a psychotically motivated Paige to wipe the floor with the competition. And Boston is getting some rookie lumps in the WNBA. Everyone but Lou returns battle tested during a tough 2023 and adds 2024 reinforcements in KK. Shade, Q and others.

Yes, I know 2023 but

Reaction Score
When is 2024 when a mature Azzi coming off a 1st team AA performance teams up with a psychotically motivated Paige to wipe the floor with the competition. And Boston is getting some rookie lumps in the WNBA. Everyone but Lou returns battle tested during a tough 2023 and adds 2024 reinforcements in KK. Shade, Q and others.

Yes, I know 2023 but
Way too early to be saying "waite until next year". But, after we win #12, number 13 looks really, really good if all the stars in the sky line up (and on the court). FYI, I don't think Dorka returns. If she has a Covid year, I think either she plays in Europe/WNBA or starts looking for social security :) We also lose Lou. Does she have a Covid year? The virus has confused everything, and I don't need any help being confused...

Reaction Score
Coach K said that too, he retired and never won one including having many great teams after 2016. Sorry triad

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Way too early to be saying "waite until next year". But, after we win #12, number 13 looks really, really good if all the stars in the sky line up (and on the court). FYI, I don't think Dorka returns. If she has a Covid year, I think either she plays in Europe/WNBA or starts looking for social security :) We also lose Lou. Does she have a Covid year? The virus has confused everything, and I don't need any help being confused...
Just trying to stay in the spirit of Geno's statement which I think is close to a guarantee of a title. I just think 2023 in no way can be thought of that way but the stars are hopefully aligning for 2024 and I bet this is what he really had in mind; I agree that Dorka will leave but a Junior version of Amari with the added responsibility to man the post will finally live up to her ability and be supported with super sophomores Ice (A Tuck / Collier Mix) and Ayanna (Swin?). Add in Caroline doing a Katie Lou impression Senior Nika and Freshman KK ball hawking like Moriah etc.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I consider you to be one of the premier posters on the Boneyard. I regret that I don't have the expertise of the premier posters, but I post what I feel and understand. I agree with all of your analysis's.You say it better than I can. GO HUSKIES!!!
Thanks. Keep posting Next 12, you’ll get the hang of it. :)

Reaction Score
Dorka and Lou are currently in their bonus Covid/5th year.
OK, I'm going to embarrass myself. Don't graduates get an optional 5th year? I thought this was a thing without regard to covid. If so, do 5th year graduates get a covid year? Or is the 5th year for graduates considered to be the "covid" year?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
My understanding of the Covid year is simply that the 2020-2021 season does not count against eligibility. Normally players get to play four seasons, but the Covid Rule allows some to play five. That was a one time thing.

I am foggy on the NCAA`s timing concerning it but I think it was to encourage players not to sit out that season, recognizing that it was going to be a challenging one.

Dorka played three seasons at Ohio State, including 2020-2021. She will have two seasons at UConn. Without the Covid rule, she would have been done at the end of last season.

Similarly for Lou, she had four seasons at Fairfield, including the Covid season. She would not be playing at UConn this season absent the Covid rule.

Nika and Aaliyah actually have two seasons available to them after this season since the 2020-2021 season, their Freshman season, does not count against their eligibility.

The following class, Azzi`s class, does not get the extra Covid Year since they were not at UConn in 2020-2021.

Paige and Aubrey are more difficult to analyze. I am pretty sure (although not positive) that Aubrey could have two seasons after this one, believe it or not. She has played two seasons but one of them was the Covid season, 2020-2021. Paige is in a similar situation, she has played two but one was the Covid season. Paige has indicated she will be back for 2023-2024.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, I'm going to embarrass myself. Don't graduates get an optional 5th year? I thought this was a thing without regard to covid. If so, do 5th year graduates get a covid year? Or is the 5th year for graduates considered to be the "covid" year?

No. Unless they are a redshirt, they only have 4 years of eligibility. The Covid year didn’t count towards it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Coach K said that too, he retired and never won one including having many great teams after 2016. Sorry triad
please don't compare geno the great with coach k, or with anyone else in that bizness. coach k was top shelf, but far, far from geno the great's record for winning it all. incomparable.
2023? 2024? forget that junk, too.

don't want to wait, till tomorrow.
why put it off another day?

right here.
right now.

(posted this last season, when, as usual, the world was ending. it didn't, and we only missed by a fraction. pretty dang good, if u ask me.
no charge for the spanish lesson. there's a lot more to that language than just the 'donde esta la biblioteca?' that youse learned in high school. lol.))

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Bazinga!

They weren't in fantasy land - they were in Breanna Stewart land. She was well on her way to becoming the best player in the world.

Reaction Score
My understanding of the Covid year is simply that the 2020-2021 season does not count against eligibility. Normally players get to play four seasons, but the Covid Rule allows some to play five. That was a one time thing.

I am foggy on the NCAA`s timing concerning it but I think it was to encourage players not to sit out that season, recognizing that it was going to be a challenging one.

Dorka played three seasons at Ohio State, including 2020-2021. She will have two seasons at UConn. Without the Covid rule, she would have been done at the end of last season.

Similarly for Lou, she had four seasons at Fairfield, including the Covid season. She would not be playing at UConn this season absent the Covid rule.

Nika and Aaliyah actually have two seasons available to them after this season since the 2020-2021 season, their Freshman season, does not count against their eligibility.

The following class, Azzi`s class, does not get the extra Covid Year since they were not at UConn in 2020-2021.

Paige and Aubrey are more difficult to analyze. I am pretty sure (although not positive) that Aubrey could have two seasons after this one, believe it or not. She has played two seasons but one of them was the Covid season, 2020-2021. Paige is in a similar situation, she has played two but one was the Covid season. Paige has indicated she will be back for 2023-2024.
Didn’t Ali Patberg end up with a surprising number of years of eligibility? Something like 7 years. Much of it was interrupted in one way or another, through older transfer rules, injuries, and Covid. She was remarkably tenacious in pursuing a full college career.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn’t Ali Patberg end up with a surprising number of years of eligibility? Something like 7 years. Much of it was interrupted in one way or another, through older transfer rules, injuries, and Covid. She was remarkably tenacious in pursuing a full college career.
I believe that Ali had multiple injuries. I think she played 5 seasons (including the Covid year) in a 7-year span.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom