Geno Auriemma and UConn players supporting each other toward opening of season that is already a nightmare | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma and UConn players supporting each other toward opening of season that is already a nightmare

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By MIKE ANTHONY HARTFORD COURANT | NOV 25, 2020

Everything is going to be fine, Coach. Relax. We got this. We’ll be better despite it. Those were the words of encouragement UConn basketball players offered Geno Auriemma as the program entered a COVID-19 shutdown and everyone involved was pushed deeper into a backwards world.

Auriemma trying to stay positive after UConn women's season delayed - Carl Adamec

What’s next for UConn women’s basketball after positive COVID test - Daniel Connolly

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As Geno said, he's not down, he's not up, he's nuetral. He can't get excited when everything you are working for can be taken away the next day Tough, tough place for coaches and so, so hard for our athletes. Sending all positive thoughts and wishing them all a safe, if truncated season.

Reaction Score
I think that knowing the young ladies are supporting Geno is one of the nicest things I've heard this Thanksgiving season Wishing all of my Boneyard amigos a wonderful Thanksgiving day. I know it is different this year but I think a lot of us are old enough to remember what it was like for our men and women in uniform during WW2, Korea, Vietnam and the Middle East. Putting on our masks requires very little energy and will help us look forward to our coming ones.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As Geno said, he's not down, he's not up, he's nuetral. He can't get excited when everything you are working for can be taken away the next day Tough, tough place for coaches and so, so hard for our athletes. Sending all positive thoughts and wishing them all a safe, if truncated season.

While the Geno, his coaches and the players are understandably disappointed and let down, so are we. I admit to being a little selfish yesterday as I watched some women's BB games. More than once I thought to my self, "that should be us (UConn) playing". ______________ (fill in the blank) get to play and enjoy their first game, while our team is stuck in a quarantine, through no fault of their own.

I think back to what Geno said: “They’ve been held hostage. They can’t go anywhere. They can’t talk to anybody. They can’t do anything. And for a couple hours every day, they’re allowed out to get some recess [practice or workout]. It’s incredible, what’s happened to them. And yet they hang in there. They just talk about, ‘When’s our first game? When’s our next practice?’ I guess that’s the best way to do it but at this point in time, where I’m supposed to be giving them all the good stuff they need, I’m getting it from them.” Fans suffer too. :( I'm definitely not happy with the way this season is starting. But this too shall pass.

When they do return to the floor, I would like to see the team take it with the attitude of: "somebody is going to pay (incur our wrath) for us having to wait an additional 15 days to begin our season". :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw the full Geno video on You Tube. It looks like coach was struck by a tornado. His emotions were very powerful and truthful. He answered many questions and it seems like some of them gave him new angles, but he is one smart human being. His being so bright has brought many of us BY'ers much enjoyment thru the years. It appears that his kids are doing a lot to boost emotions and he, theirs. Coach and co. recruit the finest and caring individuals & it really shows here. He seemed amazed how his freshmen are dealing with the plague of 2020. Let us hope and pray that all this crap will be behind us soon. I am just another oldie cooped up in the house hoping to enjoy his team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Saw the full Geno video on You Tube. It looks like coach was struck by a tornado. His emotions were very powerful and truthful. He answered many questions and it seems like some of them gave him new angles, but he is one smart human being. His being so bright has brought many of us BY'ers much enjoyment thru the years. It appears that his kids are doing a lot to boost emotions and he, theirs. Coach and co. recruit the finest and caring individuals & it really shows here. He seemed amazed how his freshmen are dealing with the plague of 2020. Let us hope and pray that all this crap will be behind us soon. I am just another oldie cooped up in the house hoping to enjoy his team.

Hey da60, there's nothing bad about being an "oldie", it beats the alternative. ;) You've got lots of company here..........other oldies that is. If anybody can turn this thing around and make it work in their favor, it's Geno.

Reaction Score
When they do return to the floor, I would like to see the team take it with the attitude of: "somebody is going to pay (incur our wrath) for us having to wait an additional 15 days to begin our season". :mad:
As the great Tiffany Hayes once said (after Stanford snapped the 90 game win streak), “whoever we play next is gonna get it!”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom