Geno as greatest coach in basketball history - another angle | The Boneyard

Geno as greatest coach in basketball history - another angle

Reaction Score
Case for UConn's Geno Auriemma being best coach ever goes beyond basketball

Life lessons.

"But perhaps the best two examples of why Auriemma and his career 985-134 mark, his Huskies now 152-1 over their past 153 games, will be remembered as the greatest coach in the history of the sport will come from the legacy he’s already left with both his players and the coaching tree he’s created.

The American Athletic Conference alone provides a fine example of just how many Auriemma disciples will be preaching for decades to come. Auriemma shared coach of the year honors in the conference with Temple’s Tanya Cardoza, a former Auriemma assistant at Connecticut. How often does she reflect upon her Auriemma experience in her current job?

“In everything that I do,” Cardoza said back in October, at AAC Media Day. “From day one when I stepped on Temple’s campus, it was everything that I learned at UConn, to the point where my players would get annoyed sometimes. But I think they understand now. And trying to compete with them, you have to pay attention to the little things. At some point, they might have gotten annoyed with some things they didn’t think were important, but now they understand why. Whether it’s communicating on defense, just opening up your mouth and talking, they see that it helps. Whether it’s everybody has to look alike, the way that you dress, your shirt has to be tucked in, you can’t walk around with headphones on. Those are all things I got from UConn, and for someone else, it may not be a big thing, but for us, it’s how people perceive you.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom