Geno as Barnum | The Boneyard

Geno as Barnum

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oh man. Talk about kicking the hornets nest just to see if any are inside.

Before we begin to heap praise and accolades on the UCLA Bruins for their 3-0 start, let's take a quick look at their opponents to date this season.

1. Their first game was against San Jose State @ Pauley. A 129-69 win over a program is is not that good. They finished 11-21 last year (7-11 in the mountain West Conf). SJS is 1-2 this season having also lost to Portland St. Their tallest players is a 6-3 sophomore. SJS is rebuilding this year, and is projected to finish in the bottom half of the Mountain West Conference, as they did last year.

2. Their 76-40 win against Presbyterian (a mid-major / Clinton, South Carolina - finished 13-18 last year) @ Pauley was not impressive in that the Blue Hose were no match for the Bruins anymore than Fort Hays State was against UConn in that first exhibition game. A New coaching staff takes over this year. Lead by head coach Todd Steelman. This was more of a varsity vs. the JV's type of match-up.

3. Their win against Baylor @ Pauley was suspect. Baylor was #3 at the time, but they were a team not at full strength. Kim Mulkey did not make the trip (death of her grandson), nor did Lauren Cox (complications from her diabetes). They only dressed 9 players.

So while I do acknowledge that UCLA is a top 10 team this year, and that they should be a formidable opponent for whoever they play, I submit that they have not really been tested yet. We'll see tonight. All 3 of UCLA's games this year have been at home, the first two against teams that were no where near their level of talent or experience. The Bruins begin the season with an 8 game home stand before they play their first road game on Dec 8 @ Oklahoma State.

After their game tonight, the Bruins don't play another ranked team until their conference opener with #14 Stanford on Dec 29. Tonight's game will be UConn's 4th in a row (2nd on the road) against a top 25 program. Based on the level of competition, and the margins of victory to date, I'm cautiously optimistic that the Huskies will do well tonight. I don't look for the Bruins to present any more opposition than that of Stanford or Maryland. UConn has already played a more competitive schedule than the Bruins to this point at home and on the road. I like UConn to hand UCLA their first loss of the season tonight 74-51.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen this? Geno's response was fabulous...He IS the Barnum of WBB!

Oh, Barnum, very fitting. Do they still have a PT celebration in Bridgeport?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The student section will now look to heckle him instead of the team. Smart move. He did a similar thing prior to playing Duke at Duke.
Yeah, I wonder what restaurants their graduates work at?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Haha, nice. He's throwing down the gauntlet. I love it. Ladies and gentlemen, it's ON.

Geno knows he's facing a quality opponent, but one whose average attendance doesn't reflect the quality of the team.

He WANTS them to "Pack Pauley."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, I wonder what restaurants their graduates work at?
INOB-SLIDER-9-1.jpeg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Beats the snot out of working at Hardee’s.

My son and family are with us in Taiwan to attend a wedding. They live a reasonable walking distance to Pauley. He’d probably have gone to the game if we all weren’t here for a wedding. He’s a UConn fan.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The years are blending together, but I think it was last year before a big game-last practice post practice type interview - and a reporter asked one of our starters how they felt about facing a tough opponent in an away game and she looked at him with an "are you daft" look and said 'we come to UConn to play these games.' Then there is the us against the world factor; both Kia and Lou have stated quite emphatically that they all feed on loud, hostile crowds.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen this? Geno's response was fabulous...He IS the Barnum of WBB!

Is that the Bridgeport Barnums or the Naugatuck Barnums ? P.T. Barnum,, i'm sure you are referring to said: Mention my name, it's not what you say; just mention my name. (notice no direct quotation marks, paraphrased) With Uconn basketball Geno need not worry about he or Uconn having their names heard, often.

Reaction Score
The years are blending together, but I think it was last year before a big game-last practice po:st practice type interview - and a reporter asked one of our starters how they felt about facing a tough opponent in an away game and she looked at him with an "are you daft" look and said 'we come to UConn to play these games.' Then there is the us against the world factor; both Kia and Lou have stated quite emphatically that they all feed on loud, hostile crowds.
Two comments:
1. So you are still in the young group were years are blending; just wait and hour or two (as it seems) it shall be the decades blending.\]
2. I heard the player and that reply then. Unlike some teams Uconn women seem to actually get invigorated by the hostiles. DT, comes easily to mind at Duke---and their Crazies and interacted with them during the game. Who on this team has that (excuse he spelling) hoots-spa! My moneys on Danger.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the great (and terrifying) academic joke:
what's a graduate in the humanities say to a graduate in the sciences when they see each other for the first time since graduating 20 years ago?

would you like fries with that burger?
I thought it was a Duke Grad speaking to a Uconn grad. But I like your version better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Two comments:
1. So you are still in the young group were years are blending; just wait and hour or two (as it seems) it shall be the decades blending.\]
2. I heard the player and that reply then. Unlike some teams Uconn women seem to actually get invigorated by the hostiles. DT, comes easily to mind at Duke---and their Crazies and interacted with them during the game. Who on this team has that (excuse he spelling) hoots-spa! My moneys on Danger.

Chutzpah man. "shameless audacity; impudence." Who? Who doesn't is a lot shorter list.

Reaction Score
Chutzpah man. "shameless audacity; impudence." Who? Who doesn't is a lot shorter list.
Thanks. I know the meaning, that's why I used it. But this old brain has trouble spelling, and that word I couldn't even start it to let Spell check finish it\
Since I was raised in Connecticut I have difficulty with foreign languages like English.

Reaction Score
I'd love the place to be packed...will the students be on Thanksgiving break?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You know, if he weren't my coach, I would think this guy is pretty arrogant.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'd love the place to be packed...will the students be on Thanksgiving break?
Not yet, officially. Thanksgiving holiday is Thursday and Friday. But of course many students take off early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom