Geno and the Werth Donation | The Boneyard

Geno and the Werth Donation

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno's (and Pendergast's) friendship with the Werths played a big role in the recent donation for the practice facility. From John A's blog:

We started talking seriously about the concept about 8 to 10 months ago,” Werth said. “The university, Neal Eskin [associate athletic director], Geno Auriemma and Paul Pendergast [UConn’s interim athletic director], in particular, said they’d really like it if I could help out more.

Werth’s friendship with Auriemma was apparently also an important component to getting this deal made.

“Geno and I are friends,” he said. “My wife [Pamela] is huge fan of the women’s basketball program. She follows all of the women’s players in the WNBA. She knows which ones went to Minnesota and so forth.

“So going to the Czech Republic for the world championships [in 2010] was a natural step for us since there were so many UConn players on that team. And we’ll be going to London to follow the Olympic team because we’re sure UConn will be well-represented on that team, as well.

“Geno and I have seen each other at many functions, but we actually had lunch together at Max’s Downtown [in Hartford] once [where the donation was seriously discussed].”

Werth’s family is particularly interested in philanthropy though a foundation he started.
“We do a lot of things,” he said. “We have a foundation that supports many wonderful causes all over the state. We just funded a hydroelectric plant for a village in Nepal. We’ve tried to do what we can.

“I am not in the fundraising business, but I have been told by Geno and Paul and others that this [his donation] will provide a significant jumpstart to the process [of building the practice facility]. I hope it does. That’s UConn’s job now.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...is-donation-to-uconn-20111231,0,5160321.story

Reaction Score
they are friends with DT3 also :)

Now that's werth a lot right there!

I'm happy to see women's basketball pulling their weight in this project. I wonder how many men's-only fans on this board are aware of this aspect of the fund raising effort?

Reaction Score
Now that's werth a lot right there!

I'm happy to see women's basketball pulling their weight in this project. I wonder how many men's-only fans on this board are aware of this aspect of the fund raising effort?
Does it matter if they know?

JS

Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno's (and Pendergast's) friendship with the Werths played a big role in the recent donation for the practice facility.
Maybe more than just a big role. Seems Geno was the key persuader. From Chris Elsberry's article:

"That gift was mostly about Geno Auriemma, spending time with these people. He was terrific," Pendergast said.

Reaction Score
Carmelo Anthony donated millions to Syracuse to build a basketball facility. Did any of our UCONN NBA and WNBA stars make thier contributions to UCONN.
UCONN helped make their careers possible. Have they even been asked to help UCONN become the showcase for college basketball.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Carmelo Anthony donated millions to Syracuse to build a basketball facility. Did any of our UCONN NBA and WNBA stars make thier contributions to UCONN.
UCONN helped make their careers possible. Have they even been asked to help UCONN become the showcase for college basketball.
Calhoun told them not to... its not their responsibility. Once the ball gets rolling he said they could feel free to chip in.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Calhoun told them not to... its not their responsibility. Once the ball gets rolling he said they could feel free to chip in.
yeah - there was quite the debate on the men's board. i'm not quite sure how Calhoun phrased it - i think it was something along the lines that the alums have done enough for the university and shouldn't be relied on to build the practice facility. i also think he didn't want the AD to contact the alums for contributions.

having said that, i certainly think he'd support the alums giving if they wanted to. frankly, i'm disappointed in that approach by Calhoun. i'm one of those who thinks there is nothing wrong with contacting the alums and asking for a donation.

Reaction Score
yeah - there was quite the debate on the men's board. i'm not quite sure how Calhoun phrased it - i think it was something along the lines that the alums have done enough for the university and shouldn't be relied on to build the practice facility. i also think he didn't want the AD to contact the alums for contributions.

having said that, i certainly think he'd support the alums giving if they wanted to. frankly, i'm disappointed in that approach by Calhoun. i'm one of those who thinks there is nothing wrong with contacting the alums and asking for a donation.
I really do not get Calhoun's comments. What is the problem with asking alums for contributions??

Reaction Score
IMHO Multi/Multi millionaires in the sports and others would hopefully follow what Carmello and others have done!

Reaction Score
I really do find Calhoun's comments strange. Is there an underlying issue going on?

Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno's (and Pendergast's) friendship with the Werths played a big role in the recent donation for the practice facility. From John A's blog:

We started talking seriously about the concept about 8 to 10 months ago,” Werth said. “The university, Neal Eskin [associate athletic director], Geno Auriemma and Paul Pendergast [UConn’s interim athletic director], in particular, said they’d really like it if I could help out more.

Werth’s friendship with Auriemma was apparently also an important component to getting this deal made.

“Geno and I are friends,” he said. “My wife [Pamela] is huge fan of the women’s basketball program. She follows all of the women’s players in the WNBA. She knows which ones went to Minnesota and so forth.

“So going to the Czech Republic for the world championships [in 2010] was a natural step for us since there were so many UConn players on that team. And we’ll be going to London to follow the Olympic team because we’re sure UConn will be well-represented on that team, as well.

“Geno and I have seen each other at many functions, but we actually had lunch together at Max’s Downtown [in Hartford] once [where the donation was seriously discussed].”

Werth’s family is particularly interested in philanthropy though a foundation he started.
“We do a lot of things,” he said. “We have a foundation that supports many wonderful causes all over the state. We just funded a hydroelectric plant for a village in Nepal. We’ve tried to do what we can.

“I am not in the fundraising business, but I have been told by Geno and Paul and others that this [his donation] will provide a significant jumpstart to the process [of building the practice facility]. I hope it does. That’s UConn’s job now.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...is-donation-to-uconn-20111231,0,5160321.story
Thanks I had meant to read that article! I think it is great and explains to me what Calhoun's issues may be!

Reaction Score
Thanks I had meant to read that article! I think it is great and explains to me what Calhoun's issues may be!

Please, enlighten us to Calhoun's "issues". Calhoun made perfectly clear why he didn't call UConn's NBA players.

It is making sense to me now! Calhoun's remarks may have to do with Geno;)

Useless.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I dont see the "with Geno" part at all... really not trying to dig that deep.

Those players EARNED their cash and isnt obligated to assist in the building of anything.

UConn has a fundraising crew who should be doing their job IMO

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I believe the PLAYERS helped UConn to become what it is....

recruits know who UConn is.. no showcase is needed, they know Geno, Calhoun, Kemba, Ray, Rip, Caron, Okafor, Taurasi, Maya, Bird even without this practice spot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is nothing required of any player, nonetheless, it is always hoped that those who are able may and will give. There is nothing wrong in asking them to help further the goals and advancement of a program that helped them to develop their professional skills on and off the court. Everyday alumni are approached asking them to help support the goals intended to move the university into the future. This is no different than asking grads to support the goals of science, business, or engineering departments.

Coach Calhoun may not want to have fundraising added to an already busy platter or may believe that players have no more responsibility to help with the new practice facility than you or I but every generation stands on the vision and generosity of those who went before.

There is no problem in asking those who can to help, there is expectation for any employee to represent the interests of their company or institution but that does not imply unlimited expectations, there is an opportunity for players to carry into the future a program at a university that has moved them forward on their life goals. There is nothing wrong in asking nor even in encouraging only in demanding. Carmelo Anthony heard and responded. That is to be celebrated. The Werths heard and responded. That, too, is to be celebrated.

Who else will hear and respond? I will gladly put up the first $50 for a Boneyard gift to help build this facility, anyone else want to help? I'm willing to say I've heard and respond. I am not an alum, not a CT tax payer or resident, I don't make millions or even six figures, barely half of that in fact and I tithe (10%) to my congregation but I, too have heard and will respond because I believe in the program and it's impact on the lives of these young men and women and the future it opens to them. I hope they will believe in the same for those who will follow in their footsteps.

On the other hand maybe I've done enough by buying a couple of tickets a year. Maybe not, What have you heard?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I believe the PLAYERS helped UConn to become what it is....

recruits know who UConn is.. no showcase is needed, they know Geno, Calhoun, Kemba, Ray, Rip, Caron, Okafor, Taurasi, Maya, Bird even without this practice spot.
perhaps but neither Geno nor JC will be there forever. look at how far UCLA men's program has fallen (everyone knows who John Wooden was), practice facility or no practice facility. it's been reported many times that some of the recent recruiting success in the football program was cemented when the recruits saw the practice facility. i fully get that especially in hoops, kids will come to play for the coach, but having a state of the art practice facility can only help, especially down the road when JC and Geno are gone.

and by the way, i totally disagree with the comment that the alums have already "given enough". they were nurtured and developed by the coaching staff, prepared for the pros, and were "given" a $40,000 per year education at the University of Connecticut. just because they have gone on to achieve greatness does not mean that they've "given enough" back. i'm not saying they should all do like Carmelo Anthony and donate several millions to the facility, but i see absolutely nothing wrong with asking them. that's what the AD should be doing, or whoever is in charge of fund raising.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
perhaps but neither Geno nor JC will be there forever. look at how far UCLA men's program has fallen (everyone knows who John Wooden was), practice facility or no practice facility. it's been reported many times that some of the recent recruiting success in the football program was cemented when the recruits saw the practice facility. i fully get that especially in hoops, kids will come to play for the coach, but having a state of the art practice facility can only help, especially down the road when JC and Geno are gone.

and by the way, i totally disagree with the comment that the alums have already "given enough". they were nurtured and developed by the coaching staff, prepared for the pros, and were "given" a $40,000 per year education at the University of Connecticut. just because they have gone on to achieve greatness does not mean that they've "given enough" back. i'm not saying they should all do like Carmelo Anthony and donate several millions to the facility, but i see absolutely nothing wrong with asking them. that's what the AD should be doing, or whoever is in charge of fund raising.
Coaches get paid... players owe them nor the university NOTHING. If they choose to do so fine and if not, fine!

name another player that has built a PF besides Carmelo... ok maybe "Jordan" did something for UNC.

those other PF's... find out who gave money for those? Does Duke have one... who chipped in?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
name another player that has built a PF besides Carmelo... ok maybe "Jordan" did something for UNC.
?
Every player who has ever made a contribution to the school has done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom