Geno and Coach K booed & cheered | The Boneyard

Geno and Coach K booed & cheered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the interests of trying (hope against hope) to get us off Diamond D, Megan W, and UConn vs. ND, here's a somewhat interesting article about how conflicted U.S Olympic fans are: disliking the two "neighborhood bullies", but now rooting for their coaches to bring home the gold. And so very funny characterizations of Geno.

Go USA! Go Coach? For US basketball fans, Olympics a change

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While the organizers and NBC are trying to sell the booing that has crept into about every venue as some "way of having fun" or a perverse for of flattery, it is just flat out poor sportsmanship and the antithesis of the Olympic Ideal.

Reaction Score
While the organizers and NBC are trying to sell the booing that has crept into about every venue as some "way of having fun" or a perverse for of flattery, it is just flat out poor sportsmanship and the antithesis of the Olympic Ideal.
Every culture's idea of sportsmanship is different. For instance, IMO, it is OK for UCONN fans to "hate" Tennessee and relish in their going down the tubes (well at least this UCONN fan does, and totally guilt-free). We should allow for cultural differences. They take their sports VERY seriously in Brazil (Priority order: 1. Soccer, 2. God, 3. Family, 4. Work/Career, etc.). This is a country where a losing national team goalie who lets the winning penalty kick go by is in serious danger of assassination by angry fans. A little booing is nuthin' - just everyday emotional expression....

To the booers: If they don't like it, tell 'em to get better (props to Steve Spurrier)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In the interests of trying (hope against hope) to get us off Diamond D, Megan W, and UConn vs. ND, here's a somewhat interesting article about how conflicted U.S Olympic fans are: disliking the two "neighborhood bullies", but now rooting for their coaches to bring home the gold. And so very funny characterizations of Geno.

Bags, I like your term "neighborhood bullies" you used to describe Geno and coach K. To those that can't beat them, no matter how hard they try, sometimes all you can do to show your disdain and frustration is to hiss and boo.
In a future post down the road, I may use that endearing term in reference to our girls (i.e. the Broad Street Bullies aka the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers). A name they earned, and were proud of. No doubt there are at least one or two programs out there that see them in that light.

"Whether you like Duke or not, you can't underestimate what Coach K's done. Whether you like UConn or not, you have to respect what Coach Auriemma has done. And I think the more that they're seen in this setting, you know what, it's not (they win) because they're at Duke, it's not because they're at UConn. It's because they're great coaches." ~ Diana Taurasi

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Coach K is such a great coach and respected so much by the players, why can't he get the millionaires to play defense? With those guys he might as well just be doing the laundry.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is a word that describes those US fans that boo or root against Coach Geno during these Olympics, pathetic. Head bang

There is word or phrase that describes those US fans that boo or root against Coach K during these Olympics. If I typed it..... it would get deleted and I'd be staring at a Boneyard ban... so I won't :cool:

If Coach K is such a great coach and respected so much by the players, why can't he get the millionaires to play defense? With those guys he might as well just be doing the laundry.

They should have let Coach Geno coach the men and the women this Olympics. :rolleyes: Looks like its not gonna take much coaching to guide the women to the gold medal.. so he definitely has the time and energy to coach the men's squad as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I find the lack of interest in the Olympic team competition on the fan boards of some other major programs somewhat puzzling and disappointing.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score

I can understand the boos for the Duke dude....... I've dislike him since 1986 and still going strong......

Geno...not so much....

Reaction Score
I find the lack of interest in the Olympic team competition on the fan boards of some other major programs somewhat puzzling and disappointing.
Could be because it's like watching UConn play conference games in the winter. Complete with Auriemma yapping at the refs for calls with a 40 point lead.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Could be because it's like watching UConn play conference games in the winter. Complete with Auriemma yapping at the refs for calls with a 40 point lead.
Geno really doesn't yap much at the refs anymore. Usually it is only when he feels his team is being manhandled by opponents without control by the officials.

Reaction Score

Coach K had '08 and '12 Team USA playing solid defense. This current Team USA lacks that defensive mind set but they are locking folks down when it matters. We can't cherry pick.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Welp... I guess they started to respect Coach K during the medal round :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not trying to be hurtful Bobby but this comment leaves one to wonder if you ever played or coached sports at any level. :confused: :)
The fact that Geno still has his head in the game with a 40 point lead is exactly why he is far and above the average head coach. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a head coach to set an example for his team and staff by doing his job the entire game. What you call as him yelling for calls is often him just trying to improve the overall game by having the officials get it right.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be hurtful Bobby but this comment leaves one to wonder if you ever played or coached sports at any level. :confused: :)
The fact that Geno still has his head in the game with a 40 point lead is exactly why he is far and above the average head coach. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a head coach to set an example for his team and staff by doing his job the entire game. What you call as him yelling for calls is often him just trying to improve the overall game by having the officials get it right.
LOL, I'm sure if you asked him he'd say that was his primary concern,"trying to improve the overall game". By your standards, if he'd been just doing his job, he would've been running a full court press at that point too. As his favorite coach John Wooden would likely have told him, "save it for when you really need it". He's a great coach but not nearly as perfect as you may believe. As for your first unnecessary, irrelevant remark, I'll put my experience up against yours anytime.

Reaction Score
LOL, I'm sure if you asked him he'd say that was his primary concern,"trying to improve the overall game". By your standards, if he'd been just doing his job, he would've been running a full court press at that point too. As his favorite coach John Wooden would likely have told him, "save it for when you really need it". He's a great coach but not nearly as perfect as you may believe. As for your first unnecessary, irrelevant remark, I'll put my experience up against yours anytime.
Again Bobby, no malice but I have not and would never use the word perfect in any conversation about a human being. It is simply not attainable. That would include coaches, players, officials or just you or myself. That would be as silly as your original comment and now the one that followed. You may have more experience in all facets of life than myself and that makes me happy for you. Just not the vibe I picked up reading your post. Sorry if I got you wrong.
We are going to have to agree to disagree here as you don't think someone should coach the entire game and I do. ;) As for me defending Geno, his record speaks for itself and I or anyone else would be the fool to carry on about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom