Geno and Bill | The Boneyard

Geno and Bill

Reaction Score
How about a little banter about great coaches. (2nd attempt, tried a couple of weeks ago)
*qualities that make them great
*accomplishments that inspire us to consider them great
*any resume smudges or negatives
*what’s the future hold
*psychologist
*judge of talent
*builder of program

Can you remember a better game-planner, strategizer, or adjuster as a coach than Bill Belichick? Whatever you think of him otherwise. This aspect of coaching is intriguing me right now with Geno. I think he has the chess pieces to win this year, but I’m not convinced that he’s making the right moves. I will love to be proven wrong. I want to see what he does.
Who has ever built a better program than Geno Auriemma? My problem with that is that I believe bold moves have to be made in battle that supersede the best interests of the program. I believe the behemoth program lumbers down the road methodically, when real dexterity and deftness is required. When he was fighting with everything he had to qualify for the Big East tournament, he had to coach that way. We need a little guerrilla warfare. Right now we’re lined up in formation in front of our enemy like the British army.
Again, I’ve said, all conversations begin with, “ we have the best players....” So let’s get them in the best position to win. We’re the only team with 2 top 12 projected WNBA draft picks. We have a #1 recruit in the USA. We have Meg. Was she a #1?

Reaction Score
Response to my own post:
Geno- the psychology stuff had an effect in the UCF game for sure. Not since then. Lighten up on it, including interviews and pressers. Kids aren’t responding. Eventually if you’re called crappy enough, you start to believe it.
Wrong Geno, the D doesn’t look good. Defense has to take something away from the offense. Period. Definition of defense. What is Cincinnati not allowed to do? They do what they want. Dribble anywhere they want, post up where they want, pass where they want. They just miss their shots. We know the top teams don’t miss their shots, especially when they are not pressured.
Come on Geno! Decide emphatically what you’re going to take away from these teams, and commit to it. For example he gave up on the pressure D and/or press. Yes, we get beat, but does it give us anything and are we taking anything away from our opponent. The Louisville game was still even when we were pressing. They may have gotten some easy looks, but so did UConn from the uptempo.

Reaction Score
I really shot a SCUD missle on this one.
Nobody wants to talk Geno and Bill on Super Bowl Sunday?
We are living during the time of a couple of the greatest coaches of all-time.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Sean McVay is 33 years old. Sadly, I will not be around long enough to see him rewrite the record books.

Give me the public high school coaches who consistently create champions despite not being able to recruit, or to offer scholarships. The ones who enable feeder programs in their communities, and whose graduates see their younger siblings, children and grandchildren grow up to want to be part of it? Or simply the underpaid coach dedicated to his students? Anyone know of one from their home?

How about Utah's Dave Houle? Another non-UCONN WBB topic for this "slow sports activity day"

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Another athletic matchup today is flying so far under the radar that it is virtually subterranean: In the wastelands between Philadelphia and New York City, in that punchline of Corporate Woods, bedroom communities, Hamilton/Burr duels, refineries, and highway exits, the site of the real first baseball game, and the location of more Revolutionary War tussles than any other state, the Princeton and Rutgers wrestling teams will go at in an event that, unlike their historic-first-but-now-moribund football rivalry, still continues on an annual basis. Princeton will probably end its 22-team-match losing streak today, but there is a notable very Jersey matchup of interest at 149 pounds. Matthew Kolodzik and Anthony Ashnault. Both went to Jersey prep schools, both wrestle for Jersey schools, both are undefeated, and ranked #1 and #2 in the nation. No substitutions, no notable weight advantage, no timeouts (barring injury) and no place to hide.

Reaction Score
Another athletic matchup today is flying so far under the radar that it is virtually subterranean: In the wastelands between Philadelphia and New York City, in that punchline of Corporate Woods, bedroom communities, Hamilton/Burr duels, refineries, and highway exits, the site of the real first baseball game, and the location of more Revolutionary War tussles than any other state, the Princeton and Rutgers wrestling teams will go at in an event that, unlike their historic-first-but-now-moribund football rivalry, still continues on an annual basis. Princeton will probably end its 22-team-match losing streak today, but there is a notable very Jersey matchup of interest at 149 pounds. Matthew Kolodzik and Anthony Ashnault. Both went to Jersey prep schools, both wrestle for Jersey schools, both are undefeated, and ranked #1 and #2 in the nation. No substitutions, no notable weight advantage, no timeouts (barring injury) and no place to hide.
Thanks oldbones for trying to resuscitate this post that's on serious life support!

Reaction Score
What Bill accomplished is so amazing in this era of free agency, and I think they might be back. Re-sign Flowers. Sign a new wideout or two and they’re set to go. Brady’s throw to Gronk the TD Drive was amazing! The only person who could catch it was Gronk.

Reaction Score
Difference?

Bill is surly, especially around the press. Monosyllabic and nasty.
Geno? Not.

Reaction Score
Bill is in my opinion the best head coach that the nfl has ever.had. He is amazing in his “in game” adjustments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom