Geno about hiding the team's flaws | The Boneyard

Geno about hiding the team's flaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I believe those are excerpts from the First Huskies All Access of the year. In the first one Geno says something that stuck with me this time around. He's talking about having UConn on your jersey means you are a target and he illustrated that by pointing to a number of FSU players "crying hysterically" after that close call down there. Those kids realized they lost the opportunity of a lifetime to recall and recount the day they beat UConn. That gives some inkling of what that UConn jersey means to our players and their opponents. It's everything.

Reaction Score
I believe those are excerpts from the First Huskies All Access of the year. In the first one Geno says something that stuck with me this time around. He's talking about having UConn on your jersey means you are a target and he illustrated that by pointing to a number of FSU players "crying hysterically" after that close call down there. Those kids realized they lost the opportunity of a lifetime to recall and recount the day they beat UConn. That gives some inkling of what that UConn jersey means to our players and their opponents. It's everything.

Years ago---Geno talked about the number of teams that lost the game simply by seeing the UCONN on the jersey. However, I'm sure a few teams (then) saw what the bull sees and they charged them. The ONLY tough players aren't all on UCONN--but the toughest COACH IS!!

Reaction Score
I apologize if these were already posted, as they're from 12/2, though I've just come across them. I wonder how he'd answer now, after TX, DePaul, and ND wins.

This one gives good peeks at practice:
Video | Geno Auriemma on UConn's success

and then this:
Video | Geno Auriemma on statement games
Every UConn team had flaws---some teams came close to exploiting them--Dayton was one--. The Uconn system of defense works so well it's used extensively, but it has openings for the offense. Stanford exploited that to a win. Perfection is what Geno strives for--knowing his teams shall never attain it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Years ago---Geno talked about the number of teams that lost the game simply by seeing the UCONN on the jersey. However, I'm sure a few teams (then) saw what the bull sees and they charged them. The ONLY tough players aren't all on UCONN--but the toughest COACH IS!!
Not only Geno but others have commented about the mental side of seeing "UConn" on a jersey. Vivian always commented (and Geno confirmed one time) that the string of really good Rutgers teams (some of whom beat UConn) were never intimidated by playing UConn. That said, and to the other point, Vivian always said that you couldn't "blink" against UConn - one error and UConn would exploit your mistake and game over.

Reaction Score
Not only Geno but others have commented about the mental side of seeing "UConn" on a jersey. Vivian always commented (and Geno confirmed one time) that the string of really good Rutgers teams (some of whom beat UConn) were never intimidated by playing UConn. That said, and to the other point, Vivian always said that you couldn't "blink" against UConn - one error and UConn would exploit your mistake and game over.
C Viv---I liked her. Tough, produced tough kids--no back down from them. She took a long road to get where she is--and she earned every foot of every mile she traveled. Thanks Knight!! Obviously, I didn't like her teams beating UC Women.. I liked the Brown building and the price of ticket!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom