Geno/1,099 | The Boneyard

Geno/1,099

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching Crystal dissect Baylor the other day, and knowing Megan Walker is on the way, got me to thinking that the next four years look really, really promising. Which eventually led me to realize that Geno has an excellent chance to pass Pat Summitt for #1 on the all-time win list in the spring of 2021. Not that it would be anywhere close to Geno’s greatest achievement, but interesting nonetheless.

If my math is right, Geno needs 144 wins over the next four years (including the 3 notched so far this season) to pass Pat. Something like 33, 38, 38, 35 would do it. Barring major injuries or the like, that seems eminently doable to me.

Right now Tara V, Hatchell and Stringer are all ahead of Geno. But Hatchell and Stringer would have to average 31 wins or 32 wins a year respectively to pass Pat in the spring of 2021. That is not going to happen.

Tara V. would need to average 30 wins a year. That’s conceivable but I’m dubious. She might win 30 this year, but realistically that’s about the best they’ll do. Then they lose McCall, Roberson and Samuelson. As far as I can tell there isn’t a huge amount of talent among the underclassmen. A couple of good recruits coming in next year but I highly doubt it's enough to keep Stanford on a 30 win pace. (Most likely Geno or Tara ends up #1. Geno if they retire in the same year or Tara retires first. Tara if she coaches longer than Geno.)

The next four years are going to be fun for a lot of reasons, but this is one more.

Reaction Score
Throw in all his extracurricular wins, USA, Olympics, etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The interesting thing is that at this moment in time there are four active coaches within fifty wins of 1000 and they should all reach that mark within a year of each other. Pat plowed through 1000 a decade ago as the trail blazer and that there is this next generation of coaches all arriving together is pretty neat. Tara should get there in Feb of this year, Sylvia probably in November of next year (if the NCAA backs off as they appear to be doing), Geno and CViv in January of next year (if Rutgers every wins another game! :eek:) Then the race to 1100 really will heat up between Tara and Geno.

And Jim and Muffett are another 3-4 years behind heading for 1000.

And no one else who might reach 1000 has yet to reached 600 wins.

Reaction Score
Pat is not a BY favorite, but death has a way of erasing a lot of bitterness, and we should appreciate how incredible is her achievement, that Geno has had to reload yet again and look forward to 4 more great years in order to pass someone whose career was prematurely and tragically cut short.

BTW, in fairness to Tara, she took a year off to coach the Olympic team, something that no one has had to do since because of the WNBA or the expansion of the worldwide women's game, I suppose, though others far more knowledgeable will offer insight here.

Reaction Score
Pat is not a BY favorite, but death has a way of erasing a lot of bitterness, and we should appreciate how incredible is her achievement, that Geno has had to reload yet again and look forward to 4 more great years in order to pass someone whose career was prematurely and tragically cut short.

BTW, in fairness to Tara, she took a year off to coach the Olympic team, something that no one has had to do since because of the WNBA or the expansion of the worldwide women's game, I suppose, though others far more knowledgeable will offer insight here.

To add a couple of thoughts to this discussion:
1 - Summitt's abrupt and tragic career end has indeed created a fixed milestone with regard to total wins, but should Auriemma catch up to it by the OP's timetable, it will be a fair achievement on his part. He will have reached Summitt's number in fewer seasons as head coach (36 as opposed to PS's 38).

2 - Had Vanderveer been able to count Stanford's record (29-3) during her Olympic sabbatical year (1996) she would already be over the 1000 win plateau. I am a tad perplexed that the NCAA officially counts that season to the Stanford interim coaches, yet has allowed Sylvia Hatchell to count her sabbatical season (2013-14) to her career total (the season she was diagnosed and treated for leukemia).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To add a couple of thoughts to this discussion:
1 - Summitt's abrupt and tragic career end has indeed created a fixed milestone with regard to total wins, but should Auriemma catch up to it by the OP's timetable, it will be a fair achievement on his part. He will have reached Summitt's number in fewer seasons as head coach (36 as opposed to PS's 38).

2 - Had Vanderveer been able to count Stanford's record (29-3) during her Olympic sabbatical year (1996) she would already be over the 1000 win plateau. I am a tad perplexed that the NCAA officially counts that season to the Stanford interim coaches, yet has allowed Sylvia Hatchell to count her sabbatical season (2013-14) to her career total (the season she was diagnosed and treated for leukemia).
Interesting point that I hadn't noticed - the thinking is probably that Tara truly left the team for the NT - it was a real sabbatical, while Sylvia turned over the operations of the team to her assistants but remained in the background through that year. I believe she retained the title of HC through that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom