OT: General knowledge test #569A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #569A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please don't hit "reply", nor do research, nor talk politics.

1..The bonnethead is the only known shark to...

2..On 9/7 Yoko Ono attended a ceremony about what?

3..Within 10 years when did the Dutch surrender NYC?

4..Within 3 years when did Chic Young begin his comic that endures today?

5..Benny Goodman adds 50% to a prison...sort of. Explain.

6..US Grant's Order II of 1862 appalled Abe and wasn't carried out. Discuss.

7..Seventies singer felt self conscious about his above average height and his slight frame.
Nonetheless he worked on mysteries. ID?

8..The world's most expensive spice?

9..What is the gist of the movie 7 DAYS IN MAY?

10..We have met the enemy and they (a) are ours. (b) is us.

11..The Atlantic has hurricanes. The other 2 major oceans have..?

12.."You've got to have a dream.
If you don't have a dream, how.."?

13..Which Asian city has the highest percentage of millionaires (3.02% of population)?

Reaction Score
8. Saffron
10. B
11. Tsunamis
12. If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make it come true?
13. Hong Kong

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
8. Saffron
10. B
11. Tsunamis
12. If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make it come true?
13. Hong Kong

10..It's not one or the other, but geared to both being explained.

Reaction Score
9. A military coup plot to overthrow the democratic government of the US

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
1..enjoy veggies.

8..Saffron

10..b

11..Typhoons in the Pacific, Cyclones in the Indian Ocean

12.."you going to have a dream come true." Happy Talk from South Pacific

13..HongKong

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
7. Bob Seger - Night Moves. And she was a dark haired beauty with big dark eyes and points all her own, setting way up high.
11. Typhoons
13. I would guess Hong Kong.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
1. eat vegatation
7. Bob Seger in Night Moves
8.saffron and I am just wild about her
10. part a. American naval commander Oliver Hazard Perry after battle of Lake Erie; part b. Walt Kelly in Pogo comic strip. One of the most consistently witty commentaries ever penned, and Friday the thirteenth came on a Thursday this month ;););););)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
9..US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, James Matoon Scott (a Marine no less) plots a coup over an unpopular disarmament treaty with CCCP

10..(a) are ours

11.. Typhoons (though wasn't it just a hurricane that hit Hawaii?)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
6. Removal of all Jews within his military jurisdiction.

8. Saffron

10. We have met the enemy and they are ours. (edited since I now know you wanted more than a choice) Commodore Perry defeats the British to secure Lake Erie needed for commerce. He dispatches the famous line in his message reporting on the battle. "he is us" was probably created by a comedian or a political cartoonist. But I don't know the specifics.

11. Typhoons

13. Tokyo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
3. 1660
8. Saffron
9. Military coup against the United States government
11. I think this just sort of depends. You see them called Typhoons in the east, and I think I've seen tropical cyclone as well, but sometimes Hurricane if of relevance to the U.S.
13. Gonna guess Singapore?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
3..1660?

7..Freddie Mercury?

8..Saffron

10..(a) Commodore Perry during the War of 1812; (b) Pogo

11..typhoons (There are Pacific hurricanes, as two have hit Hawaii this year. I think they need to be in the northern hemisphere, whereas typhoons are in the southern.)

12..How're you gonna have a dream come true, South Pacific

13..Hong Kong

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
5. Sing, Sing, Sing - my Dad's favorite, and I love it too.
10. We have met the enemy, and he is us, is Pogo Possum's observation.

this is the short version - I think the one on my Dad's old Columbia Records LP went on for nearly 20 minutes.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
3 - 1660

4 - 1955 (Blondie I think)

6 - to elaborate, as you wish, on SVC's comment. Grant was highly annoyed with (and to an extent by) speculators who wanted southern cotton in his military district. So he wrote an order expelling them. Unfortunately he seemed to think they were all "Jews", including in his order a line that I think started "The Jews, as a class being ..." I forget what, but it wasn't complementary.

Yet another sad commentary on the way far more folks thought in times past.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
6 - to elaborate, as you wish, on SVC's comment. Grant was highly annoyed with (and to an extent by) speculators who wanted southern cotton in his military district. So he wrote an order expelling them. Unfortunately he seemed to think they were all "Jews", including in his order a line that I think started "The Jews, as a class being ..." I forget what, but it wasn't complementary.

Per Wikipedia:
The order was issued as part of a Union campaign against a black market in Southern cotton, which Grant thought was being run "mostly by Jews and other unprincipled traders."[1] In the war zone, the United States licensed traders through the United States Army, which created a market for unlicensed ones. Union military commanders in the South were responsible for administering the trade licenses and trying to control the black market in Southern cotton, as well as for conducting the war. Grant issued the order in an effort to reduce corruption.
Following protests from Jewish community leaders and an outcry by members of Congress and the press, President Abraham Lincoln revoked the General Order on January 4, 1863. During his campaign for the presidency in 1868, Grant infamously claimed that he had issued the order without prejudice against Jews, but as a way to address a problem that “certain Jews had caused.”

Text of Grant's Order
General Order No. 11 decreed as follows:
  1. The Jews, as a class violating every regulation of trade established by the Treasury Department and also department orders, are hereby expelled from the Department [of the Tennessee] within twenty-four hours from the receipt of this order.
  2. Post commanders will see to it that all of this class of people be furnished passes and required to leave, and any one returning after such notification will be arrested and held in confinement until an opportunity occurs of sending them out as prisoners, unless furnished with permit from headquarters.
  3. No passes will be given these people to visit headquarters for the purpose of making personal application of trade permits.
In a letter of the same date sent to Christopher Wolcott, the United States Assistant Secretary of War, Grant explained his reasoning:

Sir,

I have long since believed that in spite of all the vigilance that can be infused into Post Commanders, that the Specie regulations of the Treasury Dept. have been violated, and that mostly by Jews and other unprincipled traders. So well satisfied of this have I been at this that I instructed the Commdg Officer at Columbus [Kentucky] to refuse all permits to Jews to come south, and frequently have had them expelled from the Dept. [of the Tennessee]. But they come in with their Carpet sacks in spite of all that can be done to prevent it. The Jews seem to be a privileged class that can travel any where. They will land at any wood yard or landing on the river and make their way through the country. If not permitted to buy Cotton themselves they will act as agents for someone else who will be at a Military post, with a Treasury permit to receive Cotton and pay for it in Treasury notes which the Jew will buy up at an agreed rate, paying gold.

There is but one way that I know of to reach this case. That is for Government to buy all the Cotton at a fixed rate and send it to Cairo, St Louis, or some other point to be sold. Then all traders, they are a curse to the Army, might be expelled.[10]

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
2..You may not find out until you visit your post office.

Reaction Score
1. live in fresh water
2. The death of John Lennon
3. 1697
4. 1958
5. Sing, Sing, Sing(one extra Sing)
6. I won't hazard a guess on this one.
8. Cardamon
9. Military takeover of the government
11. Typhoons, cyclones
13. Kuwait City

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
2..You may not find out until you visit your post office.
Is it a poster on the wall? What did she do this time? After being accused of breaking up the Beatles, anything else is a misdemeanor. ;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Rocket & Bama feed it Brussel sprouts. Shark complains.

2..SVC gives John a licking.

3..The Ed4 Quartet: Will you still need me? Will you still feed me in 1664?

4..Big, applauding all things Depression, is only 3 years too late.

5..Pinot thanks his Papa, known as Sangriabear. VAUC too, but gives no kin credit.

6..Knights says, "Oh yeah, SVC, look at the details you ignore."
"Oh Yeah," says SVC, "Take that!"

7..Bama & VAUC figure it out. Did any of you ask Meyers to write about anybody's "points'?

8..K9 leads 3 others in a Donovan fest.

9..The Alydar Foursome has the horses for this.

10..This one proved overwhelming for you to elaborate clearly. Make sure you thank Bama.
Note that Saturday the 14th came on the 15th this month.

11..Rocket is the proper windbag here.

12..Big, Rocket and K9 ask the eternal question.

13..Lots of Kongs here, one Tokyo, one Kuwait City. But who holds the trophy? It's Game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
10..This one proved overwhelming for you to elaborate clearly. Make sure you thank Bama.
Note that Saturday the 14th came on the 15th this month.

Does that mean the moose saw its breath or did not see its breath? Oh! It means you were cancelled. Bummer!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom