OT: General knowledge test #556A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #556A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Kindly don't hit "reply" nor do research nor make political statements.

1..Warship celebrated in song and a state capital?

2..If Rafa Nadal wins Sunday, how many French Open titles will that be?

3..In 1937 what German car company begins?

4..Annette, Yvonne, Emile, _____, & ______ Dionne.

5..In 1929 what was the first all-color talkie?

6..In 1453 Constantinople falls to the _______ _____, ending the _________ Empire.

7.."Now I'm towing my car; there's a hole in the roof."

8..In '77 who is the first woman racing in the Indy 500?

9..The land animal with the largest heart?

10..What's a "swan song" and its origin?

11..What do those 3 billboards outside Ebbing say(paraphrasing is OK)?

12..Nevada has the ________ and Trukee Railroad.

13..Famous quote from the captain(?) of the USS Chesapeake?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
1. Bismark, as in "We Gotta Sink the Bismark", Johnny Horton, I believe, and Bismark, ND
3. Volkswagen, the "people's car"
9. Giraffe

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
3.. Volkswagen was established by the German government to produce a cheap car for everyone, the Peoples Car. VW made it possible for Hitler to keep a promise of every German being able to afford an automobile.

5.. “On with the Show” was the movie in 1929. Was it is the first all color movie? Hmmm, no. This movie was made with RG (red & green) a two strip color process. Blue, purple, and yellow colors could not be produced for this movie. The first movie, “The Wizard of Oz,” to use RGB (red, green & blue) a three strip color process was made in 1939. It was quickly followed by “Gone with the Wind.” These two movies were produced with all three primary colors or all colors. All other colors, secondary colors, are created from the three primary colors; red, green, and blue.

6.. In 1453 Constantinople falls to the Ottoman Turks, ending the Eastern Roman Empire.

8.. Janet Guthrie – Lady and gentlemen start your engines!

9.. Elephant (too obvious to be right, right?)

10.. A "swan song" is the last act on stage or in any role in life before retiring. Origin: Swans are mute so it must be some apocryphal myth. I guess at the time of its death it must be said to sing. But this isn’t an origin, is it? Don’t know.

13.. “Don’t give up the ship!” I don’t have insurance!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
1. "the Hood found the Bismark and on that fatal day, the Bismark started firing 50 miles away..."

3. Volkswagen by Ferdinand Porsche

6. Ottoman Empire, ending the Roman Empire

10. a swan song marks the end of a performance or career. A ballet reference were the swan dies?

Reaction Score
1. Bismark(a total WAG)
2. 10
3. Daimler-Benz
6. Byzantine Empire, Ottoman
9. giraffe
10. Swan song is one's last performance, one's last hurrah. I have no idea as to its origin
12. Carson City(another WAG)
13. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead

Reaction Score
1. Bismark

3. Volkswagen

6. Ottoman Empire, Byzantine

Reaction Score
6. Ottoman Empire; Byzantine Empire
9. Hippo?
11. By osmosis: The Sheriff is a bad dude for not doing a good job investigating the death of Frances McDormand's kid.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
13. I'll agree with the "Don't Give Up the Ship" - the captain was named Lawrence, I think.

VAUC mentions damning the Torpedoes. The involved ship for that well known quote was the "Hartford", interestingly enough on a Connecticut board.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
13. I'll agree with the "Don't Give Up the Ship" - the captain was named Lawrence, I think.

VAUC mentions damning the Torpedoes. The involved ship for that well known quote was the "Hartford", interestingly enough on a Connecticut board.

Yup, Admiral Farragut, at the Battle of Mobile Bay. It's useful to know that, at the time, "torpedoes" meant primitive, anchored mines.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..Phoenix?

3..Volkswagen

6..I think it's ending the Byzantine Empire, no idea who conquered it.

8..Janet Guthrie

9..Giraffe

10..A swan song is one's last performance. I assume the origin is an allusion to the end of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, although that's a ballet, so no songs per se.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
5..All-color could be translated, as you did, as all THE colors. Or it can mean simply, no longer black and white.

7.."There is freedom within; there is freedom without.
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup."

12..City associated with silver mining, whose transport the rr managed.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
5..All-color could be translated, as you did, as all THE colors. Or it can mean simply, no longer black and white.

My but you picked a tough question to answer definitively. The first color films (not black and white) were hand colored dating to 1900 in Germany and to England in 1902. Actually, Georges Melies produced hand colored films in the 1890s. The first movie shot using a color filming process was “Cupid Angling” in 1918. It used an R&G split beam process. Don’t remember the processes name – not technicolor – wait it is Douglas something. I think there was another R&G movie in 1922-23. In any case the first full length movie shot in 2 strip technicolor was “On with the Show.” Hmmm maybe! Perhaps it is actually the unnamed 1922 movie. The first 3 strip technicolor was “ The Wizard of Oz” in 1939. Soooooo, if hand colored counts then we probably have to find the name of a Georges Melies 1890s film. Otherwise the answer is “Cupid Angling” in 1918. Mrs. SVC and I went to see “A Trip to the Moon” where we were introduced to George Melies. This stimulated interest in early movie production. Hand coloring uses dyes and emulsions. Prior to this the film producer tinted the film itself to coax some color into the movie. OK, another memory fragment. The first tinted movie was by the Edison Labs. So Edison’s movie was probably the very first color, not black and white , movie. I hope you are not as confused as I am!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
5..You seem to ignore "talkie". I swear it appears in my typing. Yours?

Reaction Score
13. Reno
13. Ely
13. Elko
I am going through every northern Nevada city with which I am familiar. Obviously, it is limited.

Reaction Score
7. That song was used quite nicely in the first episode of the recently concluded last season of The Americans.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Starting with Pinot, many of you sent a barrage of heavy artillery and wiped out Johnny Horton. Wait, that doesn't seem right.

2..Big to VAUC: I'll see your 10 and raise you one. VAUC folds.

3..My dad was an early VW convert. Loved to show people his paltry gas receipts.

4..Marie, Cecile--the Canadian quints.

5..Though kicking and screaming and tearing out all his secondary hair, SVC gives us ON WITH THE SHOW.

6..If you wrote OTTOMAN TURKS and BYZANTINE, you did real good.

7..And Rocket probably knows it goes by the name HEY NOW HEY NOW also. VAUC keeps his eye on traitors.

8..K9, VAUC & Big eat her dust.

9..VAUC & Big cite the tall guy. SVC & K9 opt for the easy pick. We even get a hippo in the proceedings. Will someone
offer a rhino?

10..While swans spend their life in muteness, an old legend says they sing beautifully before they croak. There
are references to this starting in the 18thC. Big wants to blame Tchaikovsky, when he's not around to defend himself.

11..Game saved me an aisle seat.

12..Virginia (City)

13..Knights is most complete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman