OT: General knowledge test #550A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #550A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
No research, no politics, no hitting "reply" please.

1..Three(?) of these have no jaguars in the wild: Peru, El Salvador, Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Belize.

2..ID movie character Harley Quinn.

3..The Memorial for Peace and Justice in Alabama honors..?.

4..How did Magellan die?

5..The Canadian PM in the 1960s, LBP?

6..Captain Bligh's nemesis?

7..Given the unstable ground in Japan, what are the salient features of traditional home building?

8..Ask Amy _________.

9..The charter members of the Traveling Wilburys?

10..Lead actress in I WANT TO LIVE?

11..Locate the Andaman Islands.

12..Hoi polloi: meaning and derivation?

13..How did the imprisoned Dr. Samuel Mudd become a hero?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
2. Formerly a psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum, where the Joker was held, she slipped into madness herself and became his sidekick, and, in her mind, his girlfriend.
4. Killed by natives in the Philippines (IIRC), he never finished the circumnavigation that he is known for, although his ship and crew did.
6. Mr. Starbuck
9. George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan. You'd a made good money, betting that Bob would still be standing when 3 of the other 4 aren't.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2.. She is the Joker’s accomplice and paramour.

3.. Racist lynching victims

4.. He was killed in the Philippines by indigenous people.

6.. His ship

9.. Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison …OK so I got the easy ones.

12..Hoi polloi means the common folk.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2. She's Marvelous. Especially with Ms Robbie playing her.
9. I remember Ray Orbison and Tom Petty.
13. Dr Mudd was the doctor who "helped" John Wilkes Booth. A hero in the south. But his name is Mudd.

Reaction Score
2. Female villain in DC comics
4. Killed in a battle in the Philippines
6. Fletcher Christian
8. Amy Dickinson
9. Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
10. Susan Hayward
13. As meyers7 notes, Mudd was a physician who treated John Wilkes Booth after the assassination of Lincoln. Mudd was tried, convicted and imprisoned even though there was no evidence he knew about the assassination or knew that Booth was a murder. He became a hero in prison when he treated fellow prisoners who had contracted yellow fever.

Reaction Score
2. Harley Quinn is a henchman/girlfriend of the Joker in the Batman/DC universe. Portrayed by Margot Robbie in the Suicide Squad movie that I've still not mustered the energy to watch more than a few frames of.

3. Victims of Lynchings in America. Saw something about it on 60 minutes and it looks like it would be a powerful thing to see in person as the monument is constructed to evoke the feeling of the hangings.

4. ::dice roll.... Mutiny by crew?

9. I just watched the 3 HR George Harrison biography: I think its George Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison. I think I'm missing somebody who I didn't really know.

13. Well, I sure don't know this one. Mudd is the fellow who treated John Wilkes Booth after he assassinated Lincoln, I believe. He injured his leg in jumping from the balcony. I didn't realize he was a hero. I've always heard it said the "Your name is Mud" phrase had its genesis in him.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
3..Victims of lynchings

7..Given the unstable ground in Japan, what are the salient features of traditional home building?

8..Dickenson

9..Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, George Harrison, and Jeff Lynne

12..English meaning is basically the unwashed masses, commoners, lower-class. . . It's from the Greek meaning literally the many, or the majority, which, in the olden days of direct democracy, meant they actually carried the day rather than being looked down upon. (I once read a column by the daughter of Clifton Fadiman. She said she grew up in a household where one would never use the expression, "The hoi polloi." After all hoi means "the", so saying "The hoi polloi" is a mistake only hoi polloi would make.) [Sorry for rambling on, Chief.]

Reaction Score
1. Chile, Uruguay, Argentina
4. Mutiny. His men killed him. May have eaten him.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
4. What most said. Killed by the natives in the Pacific. His crew made it the rest of the way around the world.
5. Lester B. Pearson
8. Dickenson. I have mixed opinions on her advice.
9. Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, George Harrison and Dylan are the ones I know. The did a tribute at one of the first Monday Night concerts we go to at a local theatre this year.
13. He treated prisoners in an epidemic while he was in jail. And it is pretty well established, so far as I know, that he was guilty of nothing in treating Booth.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
3..Slaves and the victims of racial violence and oppression.

6..Fletcher Christian - Mutiny on the Bounty

7..Single-story, wood frames to flex and absorb shaking energy (also lighter - so if they do collapse there is less wight coming down on you.

9..Ringo Starr, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1.. None in El Salvador
You and Meatloaf, VAUC cause 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Northern Argentina has jags.

2..You show many ways of describing her. I applaud variability.

3..SVC, Game and Big. Any jokes here would be tasteless.

4..Pinot, SVC & Knights are helpful, but don't think that's always true.

5..Knights gives us ol' Les.

6..Pinot & K9 are voted most mutinous.

7..Good description by Rocket, to which I add no glass windows.

8..Knights is on his 4th marriage, the earlier nuptials imploded cause he followed her advice. K9 & Big are non-committal.

9..Evertbody forgets Bashful when naming dwarves, so too Jeff Lynne, once with ELO.
Well, not Rocket, but he advocates Ringo. Pinot and Big remember them all.

10..Rbny loves ancient history, including redheads.

11..An archipelago in the Bay of Bengal, most part of India, the rest Myanmar. People largely Melanesian in origin.

12..See that great unwashed commoner himself, Mr. Big.

13..Knights & rbny illuminate the unheralded phase of Mudd's life.

Not bad, only once did you evince complete ignorance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom