OT: General knowledge test #433A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #433A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sad morning for me, as none in my tennis group wishes to play today, so I do this now.

No research please and no reprinting questions.

1..What was the "First Reich"?

2..Why is Orpheus in Hades?

3..What is an oxbow lake?

4..Six from Guantanamo go to..?

5..What is DPRK as a national label?

6..Who are in the Rose Bowl?

7..Like Lehman, BS(?) failed in 2008.

8..The first black American to receive the Nobel Peace Prize(1980)?

9..John Waite & Mick Jagger are separated by an "ing". Explain.

10..What is the Rufa Red Knot?

11..In what part of the world are Cossacks?

12..Of 180 chameleon species, almost half are exclusive to what country?

13..Snoopy wants to be in the Olympics. His sport?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
3. a lake formed by a river changing its' course. Take a look at the Mississippi, and, from Missouri south, there are dozens of ox-bow lakes. This is why parts of Kentucky are on the "wrong side" of the river, and the same for some other regional states. The river moved after the state borders were drawn.
5. North Korea?
7. Bear-Sterns (sp?)

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
2. To retrieve his beloved wife, Eurydice, who had died, and bring her back to earth. He played beautiful music (on a lyre, I believe) and, in doing so, convinced the gods of the underworld to let her go. But they set one condition: he had to walk in front of her on their return to earth and could not look back. Alas, he got nervous and looked back at the last moment, and she disappeared forever. A beautiful Gluck opera and a fantastically surreal Cocteau movie tell the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.
4. Uruguay.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. Prolly the Holy Roman Empire
5. North Korea
6. I think that's part of the playoffs this year. Not sure if it's 1-4 Alamaba - Ohio St or the 2-3 Oregon - Florida St. I think the other one is the Sugar Bowl this year. I assume the Cotten and Orange next year
11. Russia.

Reaction Score
6. Oregon and FSU
12. Madagascar (just saw the documentary on Animal Planet -- fascinating)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
2. To retrieve his beloved wife, Eurydice, who had died, and bring her back to earth. He played beautiful music (on a lyre, I believe) and, in doing so, convinced the gods of the underworld to let her go. But they set one condition: he had to walk in front of her on their return to earth and could not look back. Alas, he got nervous and looked back at the last moment, and she disappeared forever. A beautiful Gluck opera and a fantastically surreal Cocteau movie tell the story of Orpheus and Eurydice.

Very well put (and reminiscent of the story of Lot's wife). There is also a very wonderful movie, Black Orpheus, which transposes the Orpheus story to Brazil at Carnival time.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
6. I think that's part of the playoffs this year. Not sure if it's 1-4 Alamaba - Ohio St or the 2-3 Oregon - Florida St. I think the other one is the Sugar Bowl this year. I assume the Cotten and Orange next year
6 - Its the Oregon / FSU game. But the series now has 6 games, so will rotate between Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Peach and Fiesta over a 3 year period, I don't know which 2 are next year.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
3. A lake formed when the river forms a new path, cutting off a bend in the river and leaving a bow shaped lake
5. Democratic People's Republic of Korea = North Korea

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
6 - Its the Oregon / FSU game. But the series now has 6 games, so will rotate between Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Peach and Fiesta over a 3 year period, I don't know which 2 are next year.
Thanks, wasn't sure of that.

Reaction Score
3. a lake created when a river bends in two different directions, one of which does not catch back up to the other and does not gain much traction as a flowing river; thus becoming a lake.( a terrible explanation to be sure, but I lack a better command of words to attempt to explain it).
4. Uruguay
4. Paraguay
7. Smith Barney
8. I always thought Ralph Bunche was the first and his prize was awarded in the 40's or 50's.
11. Russia
12. Australia
13. Wrist wrestling

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
8..My Gawd, since Ralph died in 1971, could he still be promoting peace 9 years later? Let's end such speculation, by accepting the corrections of ed4 and VAUC that it's 1950.

9..I guess you need reminding of Mr. Waite's biggest hit, _______ You, and go from there.

10..It spends part of the year around Tierra del Fuego and part in Canadian Arctic.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
10. OK, with a little hint, it's a bird that migrates to and from polar regions.

Reaction Score
3. It's like what Rocket said above. A river may initially take a winding course with a bend that almost makes a complete loop (but not quite complete) before it goes on it's way. It is like a relatively small peninsula of land extends out into the loop and over time (or perhaps during a very heavy rain) the river erodes through the small strip of land at the base of the peninsula and creates a straighter path for the river. Over time the accretion from the river will deposit soil between the river and what was the loop eventually cutting off the loop from the river entirely. The loop is still somewhat lower than the surrounding land and will catch and hold water and hence becomes a lake. The term oxbow is used because the loop is curved and has a similar shape to a harness used for oxen (or something like that).

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Meyers makes an educated guess...and strikes gold with the Holy Roman Empire.

2..Rbny tells a fine tale here. See how anxiety can lose you a mate. Zorro too seems to know what he's talking about.

3..Tx provides much detail and is aided by 3 others, all with sympathy for the abandoned water body.

4..Rbny and VAUC cite Uruguay, the latter still in delight that here he does not have to respond to, "Is that your final answer".

5..A couple of you identify North Korea, but only 009 spells out the initials.

6..Oregon/Fl State, K9 & Knights are sure of this.

7..This is no BS that Bear-Sterns tanked, and only Pinot (who lost his shirt) knows this.

9..Usually SOMEBODY has pop music ken that would help here, but noooooooooooooo.
John Waite had the hit "Missing You": The Stones did "Miss You", so 2 songs separated by "ing".

10..Pinot has birds on the brain (notice I phrased that carefully). The Rufa is a threatened species that we must admire
for its long hauling, while earning no frequent flyer credit.

11..Ethnically diverse groups united by rebellion, largely in the Caucasus and southeast Ukraine.

12..K9 continues to watch the best programs--Madagascar.

13..Drive has donated funds to help Snoopy do ice skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom