OT: General knowledge test #263B | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #263B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Despite exhaustion, you must forge on...

14..Her(?) debut album was Diamond Life.

15..This cable channel(?) is changed to NBC Sports Network.

16..Oft-recorded theme from 1944's The Uninvited.

17..The first tea brand sold in individual packets?

18..In 1970 Patrick Duffy breathes underwater in..?

19..In Rome the house of Livia, wife to..?, is newly open for tours.

20..At 870 mph, it(?) has the strongest winds in our solar system.

21..In '94, the North American ____ ____ Agreement begins.

22..The act of keeping watch, ___ia_.

23..Although for an NC-17 film (Shame), who is being touted for Best Actor?

24..The unique Cinque Terre towns were devastated a few months ago by..?

25..A lesser-known song from this supergroup(?) is "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?".

Amazingly, this gets to you before any "UConn in the News".

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
17. Lipton?
18. Man From Atlantis
19. Augustus
21. Free Trade
22. Surveillance
24. Earthquake?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
16. I've seen the movie, and if I recall correctly the answer is Stella by Starlight.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
17. since everyone else is going with Lipton, I'll go with Salada
18. The Man from Atlantis
19 Caesar Augustus
21 Free Trade
24. mudslides caused by flooding

Reaction Score
15. Versus
17. Salada
19. Augustus
20. Neptune (870 mph seems way low. Pretty sure Neptune’s

......winds have been measured at 1,200-1,300 mph. Also since you
......said solar system, then the solar winds clocked at 1 million mph
......would certainly be the fastest.)
21. Free Trade

Reaction Score

Oh heck, it was a wild guess; Figuring I might have missed an obscure follow up to Wild Horses.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..VAUC & Husky with Sade.

15..Meyers, Will & NCor with Versus.

16..Rbny has seen Stella By Starlight, standing alone, moon in her hair.

17..Geordi swerves to avoid Lipton. Strikes gold with Salada. NCor also.

18..Man from Atlantis (Flipper?!!!!), geordi & VAUC.

19..She was Mrs. Caesar Augustus. Geordi & NCor.

20..I read "870", but upon NCor's refutation, I humbly change to 1300.
Neptune wins among planets, but can't compare to solar wind. See, long ago I
vowed to ask no more astronomy questions, but you keep insisting I do.:(

21..Free Trade, Meyers heads 6.

22..Espial

23..Storms with Michael Fassbender

24..Flash flooding, causing mudslides (after all, Cinque Terre IS hilly). Geordi, a primary
source for all things Italian.

25..Hooping and Husky with U-2.

West, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus. Not in Ct; not for you.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
"There are extremely high velocity winds in the atmosphere of Saturn. Unlike the case for Jupiter, the variations in wind speeds are not strongly correlated with the positions of the belts and bands. The wind speeds in the atmosphere of Saturn have been measured to be as high as 1800 km/hr (1125 mph)"

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
"There are extremely high velocity winds in the atmosphere of Saturn. Unlike the case for Jupiter, the variations in wind speeds are not strongly correlated with the positions of the belts and bands. The wind speeds in the atmosphere of Saturn have been measured to be as high as 1800 km/hr (1125 mph)"

Well. I think we can all agree to avoid both places.

Reaction Score
Saturn, in deed, has the highest measured wind speed. But what that speed is; I don't know. The wind speed has been reported from 1,100 to 1,500 mph. Jeez, you would think science would have an exact answer. No wonder WindChief ... er ... WireChief is reluctant to ask astronomy questions. Is there is a definitive answer or is it like the naming of most planets, mythological! See below:

Source: NASA
Like Jupiter,Saturn is made mostly of hydrogen and helium. Its volume is 755 times greater than that of Earth. Winds in the upper atmosphere reach 500 m (1,600 feet) per second in the equatorial region. (In contrast, the strongest hurricane-force winds on Earth top out at about 110 m, or 360 feet per second.) These super-fast winds, combined with heat rising from within the planet's interior cause the yellow and gold bands visible in the atmosphere. http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Saturn&Display=OverviewLong

Apparently NASA does not share our concern for the wind speed on Saturn. Cannot find a reference to any wind speed at the website for the Cassini-Huygens spacecraft’s 2004-06 Saturn Tour Highlights.
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/saturntourdates/2004through2006saturntourhighlights/

Despite its great distance and low energy input from the sun, Neptune's winds can be three times stronger than Jupiter's and nine times stronger than Earth's. In 1989, Voyager 2 tracked a large, oval-shaped, dark storm in Neptune's southern hemisphere. This "Great Dark Spot," which was large enough to contain the entire Earth, spun counterclockwise, and moved westward at almost 1,200 km (750 miles) per hour. http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Neptune&Display=OverviewLong

Source: Enchanted Learning
Fastest Winds: On the surface of Neptune. These winds are up to 1,500 miles per hour (2,400 km per hour). http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/solarsystem/extremes.shtml

Source: Open Sire Free Internet Encyclopedia
The great dark spot was very similar to Jupiter's "great Red Spot", in that it was an oval shaped, counter-clockwise moving storm about the size of Earth, moving west at 700 mph. You may notice the past tense word usage in reference to the great dark spot. After the Voyager II mission, the Hubble Telescope found that the great dark spot had disappeared, but a new oval shaped dark spot had formed in a different location. This proves that Neptune does indeed have an ever dynamic atmosphere, with changes in temperature and extremely fast wind speeds. In fact, the highest winds observed in the solar system have been measured on Neptune with speeds near 1,200 mph near the "older" great dark spot.
http://open-site.org/Science/Astronomy/Solar_System/Neptune

Source: Astronomy Today
Like Jupiter and Saturn, Neptune is one of the 'gas giant' planets, composed of a deep atmosphere around a liquid surface and sometimes a solid core. Its atmosphere consists of mostly hydrogen and helium, but up to three percent of its atmosphere is made up of methane, which gives the planet its striking blue colour. There are several cloud features, the most prominent being the great dark spot, a huge storm system which is as big as the Earth. The cloud features are blown around the planet by the fastest winds in the Solar System, at speeds of up to 2,200 km/h (1,370 mph).
http://www.astronomytoday.com/astronomy/neptune.html

Source: Answers.Com
Neptune has the fasted sustained winds of any planet in the Solar System with speeds up to 229 m/s (824 km/h 512 mph).
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_has_the_fastest_winds_in_the_solar_system

Source: Wikipedia
Strong 300 kilometers per hour (190 mph) winds at Venus's cloud tops circle the planet every four to five earth days. When the poles of Mars are exposed to sunlight after their winter; the frozen CO2 sublimes, create significant winds that sweep off the poles as fast as 400 kilometers per hour (250 mph). On Jupiter, wind speeds of 100 meters per second (220 mph) are common in zonal jet streams. Saturn's winds are among the solar system's fastest. Cassini–Huygens data indicated peak easterly winds of 375 meters per second (840 mph). On Uranus, northern hemisphere wind speeds reach as high as 240 meters per second (540 mph) near 50 degrees north latitude. At the cloud tops of Neptune, prevailing winds range in speed from 400 meters per second (890 mph) along the equator to 250 meters per second (560 mph) at the poles. At 70° S latitude on Neptune, a high-speed jet stream travels at a speed of 300 meters per second (670 mph).

Source: Wikipedia
Neptune's atmosphere is notable for its active and visible weather patterns. For example, at the time of the 1989 Voyager 2 flyby, the planet's southern hemisphere possessed a Great Dark Spot comparable to the Great Red Spot on Jupiter. These weather patterns are driven by the strongest sustained winds of any planet in the Solar System, with recorded wind speeds as high as 2,100 km/h. (1,300MPH)

Source: New York Times
Neptune's jet-stream winds push frozen clouds of natural gas past the north edge of the planet's Earth-size, hurricane-like Great Dark Spot at nearly 1,500 miles per hour, the Voyager project scientist, Edward Stone, told reporters. (1989)

Source: Science Daily
… the solar system's fastest winds (on Neptune, about 1,200 miles per hour);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member