OT: General knowledge test #263A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #263A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We aren't doing much banter about West Virginia, so I won't be clogging up
the board by posting this. Still, this will be the last until after Notre Dame.

The no research and no repeating questions still apply, por favor.

1..In 1853 we buy 45,000 sq. mi. from Mexico, called the..?

2..In 1948 what did Cole Porter borrow from Shakespeare?

3..John Milne, geologist, invents the ___________.

4..Where on your TV do you find Billy Gardell?

5..Clifton Webb, Dana Andrews and Vincent Price are all smitten. Explain.

6..This is a 2-word nation whose currency is the 2nd word.

7..NCIS is a spin-off from..?

8..The scale used by Ravel and DeBussy?

9..There has been a historical debate whether General Richard Ewell lost..?

10.."Caroline couldn't guard a chair." Her composer gets no..? from a chair.

11..Ozzie's cuz & Enrique's dad combine for a hit song(?).

12..William II and Harold II had a skirmish(?).

13..What was the Upper Big Branch tragedy last April?

More delightful teasers ahead.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. Gadsen, Gadsden, Gadson, sp? Purchase.
7. CSI?
10. had to think for a bit but

13. flood?

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
1. Gadsden Purchase
7. JAG
12. Battle of Hastings.....the Normans had long bows. They shot their arrows in the air. Poor Harold caught one in the eye and was killed

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
1. The Gadsdon purchase
7. JAG
9. The battle was Gettysburg, the loser was Lee not Ewell who ended up the
scapegoat for Lee apologists - as did Longstreet.
12. Hastings was the battle

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
2. He borrowed The Taming of the Shrew and turned it into a musical, Kiss Me Kate.
5. They're smitten by Laura (Gene Tierney) in the movie of that name.

Reaction Score
11. To All the Girls I've Loved Before by Willie and Julio

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
1. Gadsden Purchase
3. seismograph
6. Sierra Leone ??? is there something called a leone
7. JAG
9. Ewell was at Gettysburg - but that can't be it, Lee was the Commander and his strategy was flawed and lost it.

Reaction Score
1. Gadsden Purchase
2. The storyline of the Taming of the Shrew.
3. Seismograph
8. Altered Dominant Scale
12. Battle of Hastings
13. West Virginia mine disaster

Reaction Score
9. Ewell was at Gettysburg - but that can't be it, Lee was the Commander and his strategy was flawed and lost it.
Ok you have stirred something in my cobwebs. Didn't Ewell not follow Lee's orders or felt they were not clear enough and through Ewell's in action the Union forces secured a key defensible position. I know vague. But maybe you or someone will remember the specifics. I don't think he lost nerve. Maybe he lost standing in his superiors eyes.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
G'day posters. We will clear the tarmac now as W. V. is landing soon.

1..Meyers leads 5 with Gadsden Purchase.

2..Rbny recalls The Taming of the Shrew, turned into Kiss Me Kate. OK, NCor can have 1/2 credit.

3..Seismograph it is--geordi and NCor.

4..Mike and Molly

5..by Laura, as rbny claims.

6..You bet, geordi, 5 leones buys you milk. (OK, I made that last up.)

7..JAG is correct, so sayeth Ruffian, VTC & geordi.

8..Whole tone scale

9..There was flap, probably from Lee apologists, that the loss of the battle was the fault of Ewell.
VTC with the clearest memory.

10..Meyers guilty of good thinking. The reference is to Neil Diamond, our Sweet Caroline author,
who in I Am, I Said (with existensial angst) sang that a chair was "non-hearing".

11..Julio & Willie with "All the Girls I've Loved Before", just as Dish argues.

12..Ruffian, with weapons data, and 2 others cite the Battle of Hastings.

13..A W.V. mine disaster (please don't mention it to fans of our adversary. They are very sensitive),
NCor has it.

And before any new millenium, you can turn your attention to part B.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1. Gadsen, Gadsden, Gadson, sp? Purchase.
7. CSI?
10. had to think for a bit but

13. flood?

Gosh, Meyers, that's fantastic Botox therapy. Neil looks younger than you now.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ok you have stirred something in my cobwebs. Didn't Ewell not follow Lee's orders or felt they were not clear enough and through Ewell's in action the Union forces secured a key defensible position. I know vague. But maybe you or someone will remember the specifics. I don't think he lost nerve. Maybe he lost standing in his superiors eyes.

You are correct. At the onset of the battle Lee ordered Ewell to take Cemetery Hill "if practicable" but he also ordered him to avoid a general engagement. Ewell felt attacking the union defense was not "practicable". Had he attacked and carried the hill the outcome of the battle may have been different. However, the outcome of the war would have been the same - contrary to Newt Gingrich's opinion.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are correct. At the onset of the battle Lee ordered Ewell to take Cemetery Hill "if practicable" but he also ordered him to avoid a general engagement. Ewell felt attacking the union defense was not "practicable". Had he attacked and carried the hill the outcome of the battle may have been different. However, the outcome of the war would have been the same - contrary to Newt Gingrich's opinion.
Not so sure about that. Without victory at Gettysburg, not even looking at the fact there would have been basically nothing between the Confederates and DC, and even with the victory at Vicksburg, Lincoln would have had a very difficult time continuing the war and getting re-elected. It also kept Europe out of the war (for the South).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. Without victory at Gettysburg, not even looking at the fact there would have been basically nothing between the Confederates and DC, and even with the victory at Vicksburg, Lincoln would have had a very difficult time continuing the war and getting re-elected. It also kept Europe out of the war (for the South).

Meyers - Volumes have been written about that. In truth Lee's lines were overextended, it's doubtful he could go much farther north. Even if they had carried Gettysburg, his army would have been in bad shape. Washington was very heavily defended at this point in the war and in no danger from Lee.

Lincoln beat McCllellan with a Reagan/Carter like landslide. If a victory ensured his re-election it was probably Vicksburg as much as Gettysburg but I think that the influence of either is overstated.
By the time the battle at Gettysburg was fought even Gladstone had long given up any thought of English involvement. Antietem was probably more of an influence than Gettysburg.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes, while a Confederate victory at Gettysburg might have increased their chances to win the war, in reality those chances were becoming increasingly tiny, especially with the fall of Vicksburg as noted. I pretty much agree with vtcwbuff's comments, although, some recent reading suggested that war weariness in the North was the South's greatest hope, so in that respect it was really the victories of 1864 that gave Lincoln the victory.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers - Volumes have been written about that. In truth Lee's lines were overextended, it's doubtful he could go much farther north. Even if they had carried Gettysburg, his army would have been in bad shape. Washington was very heavily defended at this point in the war and in no danger from Lee.

Well if they had taken Cemetery Hill and won the battle there, they would not have been in such bad shape. (No Picket's charge needed). And he would have just defeated the Army that was guarding DC. And he would not have had to go further north, DC was SW actually closer to home.

I was thinking it would more become a stalemate, rather than a Union victory where they set the terms. Which would have been a very different outcome.

Lincoln beat McCllellan with a Reagan/Carter like landslide. If a victory ensured his re-election it was probably Vicksburg as much as Gettysburg but I think that the influence of either is overstated.
By the time the battle at Gettysburg was fought even Gladstone had long given up any thought of English involvement. Antietem was probably more of an influence than Gettysburg.

He did win the election easily but it wasn't looking like that for quite some time, even with the win at Gettysburg and Vicksburg. He had written a letter stating his intention to carry on the war even if he lost the election.

I was thinking more of the French involvement. But yes Antietam and the Emancipation had more effect. Gettysburg was more of the nail in the coffin.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
And he would have just defeated the Army that was guarding DC.

Highly unlikely. A Confederate victory at Gettysburg did not open the way to Washington. At the time Washington was heavily fortified and Lee didn't have the necessary forces or logistics. In any case DC was never Lee's objective.
His objectives were further north - Harrisburg and Lancaster. By threatening these cities he hoped to draw out union forces.
I don't think there was ever a danger of anything more than French recognition of the CSA as a nation. However, there was a real danger of British naval intervention early in the war.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Highly unlikely. A Confederate victory at Gettysburg did not open the way to Washington. At the time Washington was heavily fortified and Lee didn't have the necessary forces or logistics. In any case DC was never Lee's objective.
His objectives were further north - Harrisburg and Lancaster. By threatening these cities he hoped to draw out union forces.
Which he would have just done and just defeated. I realize the objective was to take the war to the north increasing anti-war sentiment, tiring the north of war. Being able to march on DC, whether they would have taken it or not sure would have made the North think about continuing the war.

I don't think there was ever a danger of anything more than French recognition of the CSA as a nation. However, there was a real danger of British naval intervention early in the war.

French recognition would/could have brought financial support. Which the South desperately needed. Granted I doubt the French would have put troops on the ground or tried to break blockades. But recognition and financial support would have helped a great deal in stalemating the war, which as you know really was the South's objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom