OT: General knowledge test #259B | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #259B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Continuing in my charming fashion...

14..One who teaches spoken language to the deaf?

15..The score of the 1914 musical, WATCH YOUR STEP. is entirely by..?

16..O Christmas Tree auf Deutsch?

17..Candy bar named after a renowned 19thC American author?

18.."Taxi" in London?

19.."There is no pain; you are receding. A distant shipsmoke on the horizon."

20..The Koleos SUV by..? is mostly found in Europe.

21..Venite, venite in..?

22..The "Three's Company" brunette actress?

23..With eyes closed, what sense tells you the position of your arm?

24..The guitarist in the trio, Teddy Bears(I LOVE HOW YOU LOVE ME)
is nowadays a convicted murderer(?).

25..This Latin American country begins the Christmas season with
The Day of the Little Candles.

You get to do this; I get to turn on my DVD player.

Reaction Score
16. O Tannenbaum
19. "Comfortably Numb," Pink Floyd.
21. Bethlehem.
22. Joyce DeWitt.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
14. William Hurt
16. O Tannenbaum. (I had to sing that in grammar school)
17. O Henry??
19. Ahh Floyd. Comfortably Numb. One of David Gilmour's best guitar solo's (if not history's)

22. Dewitt?? something like that.
23. hopefully not smell. I would assume touch?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

16..O Tannenbaum?
17..Clark
18..Hackney
19.."Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd."
22..Joyce DeWitt (Suzanne Summers could be, too)
23..Touch. Unless it's a hot day and you were working outside and your arm was raised.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
16. O Tannenbaum
17. O Henry
18. O cab. I know you are probably looking for hackney.
21. Bethlehem -
22. Joyce somebody

Reaction Score

14..One who teaches spoken language to the deaf?

15..The score of the 1914 musical, WATCH YOUR STEP. is entirely by..?

16..O Christmas Tree auf Deutsch?

17..Candy bar named after a renowned 19thC American author?

18.."Taxi" in London?

19.."There is no pain; you are receding. A distant shipsmoke on the horizon."

20..The Koleos SUV by..? is mostly found in Europe.

21..Venite, venite in..?

22..The "Three's Company" brunette actress?

23..With eyes closed, what sense tells you the position of your arm?

24..The guitarist in the trio, Teddy Bears(I LOVE HOW YOU LOVE ME)
is nowadays a convicted murderer(?).

25..This Latin American country begins the Christmas season with
The Day of the Little Candles.

You get to do this; I get to turn on my DVD player.
13/(left it out ) The non mothers
reply to Solomon question as to what to do with the baby "Let it be divided".
16. O Tannebaum
17. O Henry
22.Joyce Dewitt

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
"Oh Tannenbaum" is also "Maryland My Maryland" which is the song played every year at the Preakness. And of course "My Old Kentucky Home" is the Derby song. The Belmont song has changed a couple times over the years. Used to be "Streets Of New York"...East side, west side, all around the town. Then it became Franks' "New York, New York." It has been changed again and I don't recall the name of the song. I do know I don't like it.

Reaction Score
15. Scott Joplin
17. O Henry (I was unaware the candy bar was named after him)
22. Joyce DeWitt(was fortunate to attend a live taping at CBS Studio City in 1980 which struck me as strange becasue the show aired on ABC)
23. Touch

Reaction Score
NCorBust
16. Weihnachtsbaum
17. O Henry
18. Hack
22. Joyce ?

23. Touch

Upink
19. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
24. Phil Spector
25. Columbia (We learned this tradition from Columbian friend of Upink’s. When we moved to Highlands Ranch she got the neighborhood to follow the tradition. Our street is really great looking with the glow of the candles lining it.)

Reaction Score
Fairview, Suzanne Somers is not a brunette. Before the internet, Playboy was the magazine from which one might read movie reviews, record reviews, interviews with movers and shakers, excellent short stories, football and basketball prognostications, All American Teams, learn how to tie a perfect windsor knot or a bow tie, get updates on the latest stereos and electronics, etc; Things that were important for young men to know. Every once in a while I glanced at the pictorials. One such pictorial was of Ms Somers.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
19..Very nice, Meyers, truly exquisite. And with an extended riff instead of puny fadeout.
I'm old enough to have gone to a few concerts--Jersey City, East Rutherford, Long Island, but they were before The Wall,
so this ending was a first. In a way, Roger made it easy for us Side 4-haters to see Comfortably Numb as the album's end.
Four others presumably count themselves fans.

13..Got a late and correct Dink entry. Spoken by the pretend-mommy referring to a disputed baby in Solomon's court.

14..Oralist

15..Irving Berlin

16.."O Tannenbaum"--Meyers and 3 mates.

17..Silly 'ol bear makes his 1 contribution (OK, he had others in part A) With O Henry. Also a quartet more.

18..INDEED, VTC, I'M LOOKING FOR "Hackney". I'm moved that you so grokked. Isn't that what each
of us longs for? To be understood?

20..Renault

21..Bethlehem, type terif & VTC.

22..Joyce Dewitt...and Fair, I challenge you to refute what VAUC addresses to you...
perhaps by reading some other mag loaded mainly with good stories.

23..Kinectic sense, an inner gyroscope beyond the 5.

24..UPink has Phil Spector.

25..UPink here also with Columbia.

I promise no one that I will make it all the way through Tn at Stanford.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Fairview, Suzanne Somers is not a brunette. Before the internet, Playboy was the magazine from which one might read movie reviews, record reviews, interviews with movers and shakers, excellent short stories, football and basketball prognostications, All American Teams, learn how to tie a perfect windsor knot or a bow tie, get updates on the latest stereos and electronics, etc; Things that were important for young men to know. Every once in a while I glanced at the pictorials. One such pictorial was of Ms Somers.

My mind has gone through numerous retorts that I am sure would have resulted in me getting spanked by the moderators. Some of them actually used the word spank. Others tried being clever by referring to Playboy's custom airbrush, known as the hairbrush. I also thought of trying to update an old elementary school joke about L'Oreal hoping to double their sales with a new advertising campaign to "mix a double batch and have a ...."

But then I realized that I was terribly mistaken about the meaning of VAUC's post. I am sure he meant that the high quality of the printing and top-shelf paper that Playboy used in those old magazines made it clear that the golden locks cascading across Ms. Somers' rosy cheeks were most certainly naturally blonde. The clarity of the high-quality photos would have made it impossible to fool the public with a dye job. Now that I think about it, I am embarrassed to have thought that someone of Mr. Fan's outstanding moral fiber could have meant anything else.

Having never played any sports myself and, even at a young age, fancying myself a man instead of a boy, I never had occasion to read a publication called "Playboy." However I am certain the picture quality was outstanding because I remember my middle school friends talking about how Playboy's pictures were really awesome and revealed things they had ever seen before. So, thanks to the quality focus of Hugh Hefner, I am now sure that Suzanne Somers sports a head of naturally blonde hair. Thanks, VAUC.

Reaction Score
FairView, if only I was intellectually astute enough to come up with a retort as witty and wily as your iambic response.

Your friends did you a huge favor by relating what they may or not have seen( you know how kids exaggerate. Some even lie to impress their friends)in the Hugh Hefner publication, thus allowing you to develop your mind's eye. If your friends provided a vivid description of Ms Somers based upon what they may or may not have seen, your belief that she may be a brunette only bolsters the argument about the unreliability of eyewitness accounts. If your youth was spent reading Look, Life, Harper's, or Reader's Digest, you are a better person for it. A youth spent fantasizing about a lifestyle about which one can never hope to attain is a wasteful endeavor. Your youth was, surely, better spent enriching your mind with useful, worthwhile, practical knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom