Gene Chizik | The Boneyard

Gene Chizik

Reaction Score
Is Ollie the basketball version of Gene Chizik?

The guy won a national championship in his second season with a dominate talent (Newton:Napier) then proceeded to show that his X's and O's coaching was just not up to snuff.

Auburn fired him two years after winning it all.

I see a lot of similarities. Do you?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What has Auburn done since? Serious question. Too lazy to look up.

They just lost to UCF in the Peach Bowl. Went to the SEC championship and would have been in the college football playoff if they'd beaten UGA. Won like 8 or 9 games in 2016 and Malzahn was on the hot seat--that's why Lashlee left to come to UConn. Malzahn also had another great year with Nick Marshall at QB but I can't remember what year that was...they had a solid RB and beat Bama in the Iron Bowl where they returned the kick for a TD at the end of the game. In summary, they're really good again

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Well our fan base is okay with being average v. Auburn's fan base. Also boosters in football > boosters in NE basketball.

Reaction Score
Well our fan base is okay with being average v. Auburn's fan base. Also boosters in football > boosters in NE basketball.

We are not average

Or even anywhere close.

Reaction Score
Ignorant

College Basketball is just not comparable to College Football.

Football does have a much tighter timeframe. You can come in with the right mix and have stellar years ... then fall off dramatically. Lots of examples; but, you use Chizik because of the NC. McElwain, Hermann, Richt, Friedgen ... all rose to early heights quick. Sustainable success and Big Program status is quite hard. Urban and D’Antonio and Patterson and Bob Stoops types.

In NC status in CBB, the only non Bigtime studs Coaching in the last 30 years were Jim Harrick and Tubby Smith. Both, obviously, had longtime “good” success. Kevin Ollie is in a category of his own today. I thought he had a little Matt Painter comparable ... as my bff is a Purdue guy. Painter had three very tough years after success and then turned it around. (And he and Ollie were great college players the same years). However, Painter did something to rise since his drop. And his AD stuck with him.

Reaction Score
Mike Davis comes to mind as a more similar comparison.

I think if KO were to go after this season, and he really should, he would also be leaving at the same time as MD.

KO needs to get an assistant gig for 5 or 6 years, learn the ropes and work under a seasoned coach.

Reaction Score
Mike Davis comes to mind as a more similar comparison.

I think if KO were to go after this season, and he really should, he would also be leaving at the same time as MD.

KO needs to get an assistant gig for 5 or 6 years, learn the ropes and work under a seasoned coach.

You mean like Jim Calhoun?

Reaction Score
Ignorant

College Basketball is just not comparable to College Football.

Football does have a much tighter timeframe. You can come in with the right mix and have stellar years ... then fall off dramatically. Lots of examples; but, you use Chizik because of the NC. McElwain, Hermann, Richt, Friedgen ... all rose to early heights quick. Sustainable success and Big Program status is quite hard. Urban and D’Antonio and Patterson and Bob Stoops types.

In NC status in CBB, the only non Bigtime studs Coaching in the last 30 years were Jim Harrick and Tubby Smith. Both, obviously, had longtime “good” success. Kevin Ollie is in a category of his own today. I thought he had a little Matt Painter comparable ... as my bff is a Purdue guy. Painter had three very tough years after success and then turned it around. (And he and Ollie were great college players the same years). However, Painter did something to rise since his drop. And his AD stuck with him.

Arrogant.

I know as well as anyone that you can't make an apples to apples comparison between basketball and football, nor was I trying to.

All I was doing was pointing out that their career trajectories, in their respective fields, were strikeingly similar.

Perhaps you can infer from what I said that it may be time to move on from KO.

Reaction Score
We all love Bazz, but he hasn't exactly been the Cam Newton of the NBA

Reaction Score
Arrogant.

I know as well as anyone that you can't make an apples to apples comparison between basketball and football, nor was I trying to.

All I was doing was pointing out that their career trajectories, in their respective fields, were strikeingly similar.

Perhaps you can infer from what I said that it may be time to move on from KO.

Thanks for the big insight.

There’s lots of falling Programs after the Mt Rushmore HOF left. Mike Davis is like KO because? How about Bill Guthridge. How about Gene Bartow. (Race?). How about whomever followed Tarkanian. ONLY Kevin Ollie won a NC after. I think we’d all agree to the suckitude we are at present. KO is still young in both coaching and chronology. Most of think he doesn’t have the answer to turn this tide.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the big insight.

There’s lots of falling Programs after the Mt Rushmore HOF left. Mike Davis is like KO because? How about Bill Guthridge. How about Gene Bartow. (Race?). How about whomever followed Tarkanian. ONLY Kevin Ollie won a NC after. I think we’d all agree to the suckitude we are at present. KO is still young in both coaching and chronology. Most of think he doesn’t have the answer to turn this tide.

I don't think he can turn this around.

I could envision him in the far-flung future having success after getting years of experience as an assistant and head coaching at a lower level.

But, Ollie's time in Storrs is up.

Reaction Score
No, but he was a great college player whom KO leaned on to win a national championship.

Shabazz. Plus a perfect mix of Brimah, Daniels, Kromah, Giffey, Boatwright, Samuel ... all played well defined roles superbly.

That wasn’t one guy (Kemba was more that) and it wasn’t magic.

Give Ollie credit. And that’s not mutually exclusive of today’s mess.

Reaction Score
We all love Bazz, but he hasn't exactly been the Cam Newton of the NBA

Yes he is not a star. But he is now an above average NBA player and is about to get paid. From your tone I presume you haven't caught him this year.

Reaction Score
Shabazz. Plus a perfect mix of Brimah, Daniels, Kromah, Giffey, Boatwright, Samuel ... all played well defined roles superbly.

That wasn’t one guy (Kemba was more that) and it wasn’t magic.

Give Ollie credit. And that’s not mutually exclusive of today’s mess.

Oh absolutely.

2014 and everyone involved, including Ollie, will always have a special place in my heart.

But, time to admit things need to change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom