Gelato | The Boneyard

Gelato

Reaction Score
I want gelato. Not ice cream. And not that crapphy grainy stuff they call gelato. Like real, Italian stuff. I will drive an hour or more if I need to.

It's the off season. Anyone got any recommendations?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you find anything close to the stuff we ate twice daily in Italy, let me know.

In the meantime, Talenti from the supermarket is better than anything I’ve found in the states.

Reaction Score
If you find anything close to the stuff we ate twice daily in Italy, let me know.

In the meantime, Talenti from the supermarket is better than anything I’ve found in the states.

Yeah I was just showing my fiance pictures of when I went to Italy for a few weeks. First international trip I ever took without my parents. I think I was 19. It gave me a craving.

Vecchito's in Middletown is really good but it isn't really gelato.

Reaction Score
Go to the North End in Boston and just eat your way through there for the day. I don’t know of any places in the Hartford/CT area actually, but the North End has a few

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Did you happen to hit up San Crispino near the Trevi fountain in Rome? Place looked like a laboratory. Had some incredible gelatos there, flavors I haven't seen in US, like bergemot.

Talenti isn't bad. I researched gelato as we were considering offering it at the coffeehouse. Tried a ton at different trade shows, nothing close to what we had in Rome. Ultimately we decided on making our own cannoli instead.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My BMI skyrocketed the week I was in Florence. I think I just went from pizza to gelato to carbonara/cacio e pepe on repeat every single day.
Hell, you could gain a few lbs just from olive oil tastings.

We had steak florentine with zucchini flowers at Natalino in Florence, and it seemed like health food.

Reaction Score
Yeah I was just showing my fiance pictures of when I went to Italy for a few weeks. First international trip I ever took without my parents. I think I was 19. It gave me a craving.

Vecchito's in Middletown is really good but it isn't really gelato.

Vecchito’s the Italian ice spot? Man I used to remember running to catch that truck at the beach in old saybrook.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Did you happen to hit up San Crispino near the Trevi fountain in Rome? Place looked like a laboratory. Had some incredible gelatos there, flavors I haven't seen in US, like bergemot.

Talenti isn't bad. I researched gelato as we were considering offering it at the coffeehouse. Tried a ton at different trade shows, nothing close to what we had in Rome. Ultimately we decided on making our own cannoli instead.

Leave the gelato. Take the cannoli.

Reaction Score
Vecchito’s the Italian ice spot? Man I used to remember running to catch that truck at the beach in old saybrook.

Yep! The store is in Middletown. Only open on the weekends this time of year, I think.

I walk my dog down there, get some italian ice for both of us and hang out by the river all the time in the summer.

I love their italian ice. Perfect on hot days

Reaction Score
My BMI skyrocketed the week I was in Florence. I think I just went from pizza to gelato to carbonara/cacio e pepe on repeat every single day.
Smaller portions over there though, I never felt like I was stuffing myself even though I ate well and drank wine constantly.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Smaller portions over there though, I never felt like I was stuffing myself even though I ate well and drank wine constantly.
OTOH, you're compelled to finish that pizza instead of boxing up the last couple of slices and taking it home...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I want gelato. Not ice cream. And not that crapphy grainy stuff they call gelato. Like real, Italian stuff. I will drive an hour or more if I need to.

There’s a place in Lecce Italy (in the heel of the boot, called the Florence of the South) where I had the best gelato I’ve ever had. I can still taste it almost 20 years later. Dark chocolate rum.

Reaction Score

I thought ice cream from the supermarket was crap, until I discovered Tillamook. I sold my home ice cream freezer to a young couple opening a small restaurant in the city. Tillamook is awesome.

Reaction Score
Call this place. They might sell it or make it:

Arethusa Farms​

822 Bantam Rd. Bantam, CT 06750

PHONE
860-361-6460

If not there, Dematteo's in Hamden should have it.

You can google gelato near me, and it will pull places that sell it.

Any decent Italian restaurant should have it. You could order it as takeout there if you chose not to dine in.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
If you love gelato try putting a scoop of sorbetto in a nice glass of unsweetened ice tea for a delicious italian iced tea. Thank me later.

Reaction Score
Call this place. They might sell it or make it:

Arethusa Farms​

822 Bantam Rd. Bantam, CT 06750

PHONE
860-361-6460

If not there, Dematteo's in Hamden should have it.

You can google gelato near me, and it will pull places that sell it.

Any decent Italian restaurant should have it. You could order it as takeout there if you chose not to dine in.

The stuff they sell in restaurants here is basically ice cream. Even the fancy places. It isn't very good tbh.

Word is there's a decent spot in new canaan. It stinks of privelege and I hate that area... but I'll take the trip later and give an update

Reaction Score

The gelato place in downtown New Canaan is pretty good. It's right next to Tequila Mockingbird, which is some of the best gringo Tex-Mex I've ever had. My go-to birthday evening is starting with drinks, dinner and then dessert at the gelato spot.

Not gelato, but there's an awesome new Italian cafe in South Norwalk called Affogato. Their olive oil ice cream is bomb.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The stuff they sell in restaurants here is basically ice cream. Even the fancy places. It isn't very good tbh.

Word is there's a decent spot in new canaan. It stinks of privelege and I hate that area... but I'll take the trip later and give an update
I agree. Good but not true gelato

Reaction Score
Maybe I know nothing about gelato, but having eaten the Giuliana Brand which seems to be a staple around here and which I find tasty and not as sugary as conventional ice cream, can anyone offer the name of a brand or a specific place that serves "real gelato?"

Is it something that only somebody's grandmother from Italy knows how to make, and the recipe is a secret to others?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom